What's new

Which are the best Barbershop Scents?

Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber is my Friday soap/aftershave -- love the scent, and I'll get the cologne once it's back in stock
Stirling Barbershop is good -- I had a sample of it amongst other barbershop scents, but need to order a puck
Never tried Clubman soap, but Pinaud Clubman is one of my favorite Aftershaves -- not at first as it hit me with a little bit of a petrol smell, but it dries down to smell better -- maybe I need to "decant" it -- but after my last decanting experience using an Avon Car decanter and the Veg (suffice to say I washed the newly filled decanter with lukewarm water, set it in the sink to wash my hands when the whole bottle shattered into three large pieces (top, bottom and back) and all the Veg went down the sink) I think I'll wait...

Barbershop scent is something that is very dependant from country to country.
I never smelled any popular splash or soap in the barbershop when I was a kid except...I could swear that my barber used Pitralon Classic which he used to pour a little amount on top of the head just after haircut.

Anyway, here are the some which are considered barbershop scents

Cyril R Salter/Monsavon - scent is the same, only more potent in Monsavon
Palmira shaving soap and cream
Floid
Clubman Original
Lea shaving puck
Wickham 24 Classic

Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber is my Friday soap/aftershave -- love the scent, and I'll get the cologne once it's back in stock
Stirling Barbershop is good -- I had a sample of it amongst other barbershop scents, but need to order a puck
Never tried Clubman soap, but Pinaud Clubman is one of my favorite Aftershaves -- not at first as it hit me with a little bit of a petrol smell, but it dries down to smell better -- maybe I need to "decant" it -- but after my last decanting experience using an Avon Car decanter and the Veg (suffice to say I washed the newly filled decanter with lukewarm water, set it in the sink to wash my hands when the whole bottle shattered into three large pieces (top, bottom and back) and all the Veg went down the sink) I think I'll wait...
I've told everyone that the Veg is terrible stuff and this is the proof!

I have quite a few of them. but if I had to pick a favorite at the moment it would be Noble Otter Barrbarr.

Absolutely my favorite as well.

I always love Old Spice, but BarrBarr has a richer, more vibrant scent then OS. It really captures the barbershop smells of yesteryear. It helps that it comes in a glass container too!

I don't think I saw Lustray Blue Spice or Luck Tiger here. Those are two classic scents as well.

+1 for the RR blue.
Same here. RR Blue is supposedly based on Floid Blue, which to me smells a lot like Rive Gauche, both discontinued and both of which remind me of the Barbasol-like foam and talc the barber used when shaving the back of my neck back in the day. It's about as barber shop as it gets.

Pinaud Clubman takes me back to the New England barbershop of my youth, so that. I don't mind variations on it, and I think it can be improved with better ingredients, but it is my standard and expectation.

Edit: also Barbasol.

I really dig Mike's Natural barbershop - possibly my favorite soap right now.
Another vote here for Mike's Naturals. Zingari Mann Wanderer and Maggards London Barbershop also use the same scent, but Mike's is my favorite base between the three...incredible post shave.

Same here. RR Blue is supposedly based on Floid Blue, which to me smells a lot like Rive Gauche, both discontinued and both of which remind me of the Barbasol-like foam and talc the barber used when shaving the back of my neck back in the day. It's about as barber shop as it gets.
American Barber is the one that smells kind of like Rive Gauche (Floid Blue doesn't smell Rive Gauche)

American Barber is the one that smells kind of like Rive Gauche (Floid Blue doesn't smell Rive Gauche)
You are 100% correct - I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, it's Fine American Blend that is inspired by Rive Gauche, and reminds me of Barbasol. Floid Blue is an entirely different scent, but still very much a wonderful, powdery barbershop scent.

Thanks for straightening me out!

You are 100% correct - I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, it's Fine American Blend that is inspired by Rive Gauche, and reminds me of Barbasol. Floid Blue is an entirely different scent, but still very much a wonderful, powdery barbershop scent.

Thanks for straightening me out!
Both are great barbershop scents IMO

Top Bottom