What's new

Where's The Chicken Liver?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I was shocked and aghast yesterday when I went to my local grocery store and found no chicken liver to be had. OK, that in and of itself was not shocking nor aghasting. But when I followed up with visits to two more stores and a fruitless phone call to a fourth, well, I was flummoxed for sure. None of the employees I asked had an explanation but did state they hadn't carried them for several months. Have yardbirds begun being raised without the need for delicious little livers these days?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
On the way to Paté?
This is my favorite way of enjoying it, together with a fresh Baguette and some Austrian or Alasatian Gewürztraminer... :drool:
Actually, for this occasion I was wanting to make a salad with chicken livers and garam masala. I'll enjoy them many other ways as well.
Eat pork liver . It is very good.
Sure, I agree. Eat duck liver. It is beyond amazing.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
One of the few things that I love but do not cook at home. No shortage here.

My wife cringes when we are on a road trip and I spot a Chester's Fried Chicken (usually attached to a truck stop and we have to fill up the RV anyway right??) They have great chicken livers and a better-than-mediocre gravy to dip them in.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Church's were great. When Popeyes started expanding, chicken livers were on the menu.

When I was a kid, it seems like every chicken shack in TX served chicken livers (and gizzards) on a piece of white bread. What happened??

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
where's the chicken liver? on the other side of the road.

None of the employees I asked had an explanation but did state they hadn't carried them for several months.

Well, if you haven't been in to ask for them for several months, I can see them concluding there's not enough demand to justify stocking them.

whar chikin livir... whar??
Chicken Liver.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Church's were great. When Popeyes started expanding, chicken livers were on the menu.

When I was a kid, it seems like every chicken shack in TX served chicken livers (and gizzards) on a piece of white bread. What happened??
I know. We ate 75 thousand of those goodies in the 70's. I think we ate them all.

We used to get them at a few select KFCs in our area up until a few months ago. Called ahead to place an order and was told all KFCs have now stopped serving them.

They were tender, delicious and filled with the decadent flavor of the Colonel’s seven herbs and spices.

It was a sad, sad day for me.....

Top Bottom