What's new

I Just Got A Hamilton Beach 49987 Coffee Maker!

Two months in and we're still enjoying "The Scoop." I got some of the Kirkland 100% Columbian whole beans and it tastes great from this machine. It's a little bit of a pain to clean it out between each cup but I can live with that. Most days my wife and I only drink one cup each. The coffee tastes much better than any automatic filter machine we've used. I don't even bother with the pour-over or the Aeropress any more. I had to use a bolder roast with them but this one tastes better with a medium roast.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Two months in and we're still enjoying "The Scoop." I got some of the Kirkland 100% Columbian whole beans and it tastes great from this machine. It's a little bit of a pain to clean it out between each cup but I can live with that. Most days my wife and I only drink one cup each. The coffee tastes much better than any automatic filter machine we've used. I don't even bother with the pour-over or the Aeropress any more. I had to use a bolder roast with them but this one tastes better with a medium roast.

Can I just say, that I truly love hearing your experienced account, of the Hamilton Beach The Scoop coffee brewer! 😍 I think that many coffee connoisseurs think, that they need super expensive espresso machines, pour overs, fancy french presses, to make a decent cup of coffee, but thats just not true. If that is the way you like to do your coffee, then thats fine, please by all means enjoy, its a lovely hobby to be in, just like traditional wet shaving. :blush:

And I too can understand where some of that mindset comes from, cause just like you said, many automatic drip machines in the past, didn't make really good tasting coffee, and you just felt like you were throwing out your money. But I am super excited and pleased, to hear from another, who really enjoys the Hamilton Beach The Scoop as much as me, and notices, just how delicious it makes coffee. Kirkland also makes some pretty delicious coffee for the cost too. :tongue_sm

I am super pleased that both you and your wife, are enjoying your new coffee brewer, that is just truly excellent! I still have plenty of Kirkland coffee from last months order, but this month I am planning to do something different, and buy some nation renowned Stirling coffee, you know, from the soap making company? Stirling coffee most certainly costs quite a bit more for the amount of ounces you get, so I am really hoping, that the cost will pay off in the end. Plus, I'll see if I can make 30 ounces last me in a month lol. 🤔

Unless you have a full sized family, nobody needs 12-cups of coffee in a day lol. All thats gonna do is make you super wired up, and drop things cause your jittery jitter bug hehe. 😝

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

There's Coffee In That Nebula!
proxy.php

As Captain Catherine Janeway once said, after a true week of hell onboard the Starship Voyager, she was optimistic that one good thing would come from their resource acquisition mission, she said, that there would be coffee in that nebula! I like a Captain who understands the importance, of a good cup of Joe! And to that note, I have an update for the forum.

This is the coffee I used to role with for several months now...
proxy.php
Kirkland Arabica Coffee.JPG

The Kirkland 100% Arabica Medium Roast coffee is actually pretty good, its IMHO, that its better then your typical store bought coffee. It has a nice flavor to it, while still maintaining a good value on price, considering its like 42 ounces in a bag! Having said that however, I kept hearing talk about Stirling roastery coffee.

As it turns out, the coffee we usually buy at our local super markets, have been on shelves for many months, maybe even a year. And as such, they have lost all of their freshness, and that means, their flavor as well. I decided that I would take a chance, and try out some Stirling coffee, and I chose the Kenya Dark Roast Sweet & Bold Espresso!
proxy.php
proxy.php

If you take a close look, you can see that Stirling chose a finer grind, for the medium grind I asked for, for a drip based brewer. You can see how they differ from the pictures I have posted of both coffee's. I already have a review written up on this coffee, so you can check it out there if you'd like, at the link bellow...

Suffice to say, it is very delicious coffee that I will be buying again. I think the finer grind works better in my machine, I think it pulls more of the delicious flavor out of the coffee, and I consider that a major plus. Having said that, I just got done ordering another coffee from Stirling, another dark roast infact.
1663810611386.png

I can't wait till it gets here, but it still hasn't shipped yet. I would like to sample other flavors of Stirling coffee as well, but since those are lighter roasts, I will be buying the smaller sized bags for those, to save on cost, just incase I don't like the lighter roasts as much, we will see. But for now, Stirling has really proved themselves in the coffee business.

And to that note, we come to my latest coffee acquisition...
proxy.php
Coffee Mate Chocolate Creamer Powder.JPG

I have been using liquid creamers, and have been for many years. But I am getting tired of all the hassle that those require, like having to be refrigerated for example. I used to use powdered creamer back in the day, back when all they had under their brand was the original. Now days, Coffee Mate has coffee creamer in lots of different flavors. I figured with a good nutty flavored dark roast coffee, it would pair well, with some chocolate based creamer.

Well, I can tell you right now, my coffee tastes even more delicious, now that I have cremafied it with creamy chocolate deliciousness. Ohhhhhh Yummmm 😋 You don't have to have your coffee this way, but I choose to do so, because I like dark roasts, and I like chocolate, its the only way to go for me anyways. Can't wait to taste that Tanzania coffee! Alright, this completes your regularly scheduled coffee program.........

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker, it is nice to see you enjoying the new coffee varieties. But I have to chime in and suggest that you get a coffee grinder so that you can enjoy freshly ground coffee. If you are going to purchase better and more expensive coffees it will help you maximize their potential. And consider the coffee options at your local Costco, where there must be nearly a dozen different whole bean coffees as compared to a few preground options on the shelf. IIRC about half their coffees are on the darkly roasted side which you may like. I have tried their kirkland medium roast Colombian but found it to be a darkly roasted coffee.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker, it is nice to see you enjoying the new coffee varieties. But I have to chime in and suggest that you get a coffee grinder so that you can enjoy freshly ground coffee. If you are going to purchase better and more expensive coffees it will help you maximize their potential. And consider the coffee options at your local Costco, where there must be nearly a dozen different whole bean coffees as compared to a few preground options on the shelf. IIRC about half their coffees are on the darkly roasted side which you may like. I have tried their kirkland medium roast Colombian but found it to be a darkly roasted coffee.

I do have a coffee grinder, its one of those small portable Black & Decker types, still sold on Amazon as a matter of fact. And while its been lasting for many years, making me think it was never going to die, its recently started to sound all wrong, as in, it doesn't long for this world kind of wrong lol. I do have a coffee grinder choice picked out for its replacement though. But as with all things, that takes money, and frankly motorized grinders are just so loud, good luck anybody trying to sleep in the house with those grinders going off.

I was thinking about maybe buying one of those hand crank powered grinders, I think Stirling themselves sells one. At least then it should be quiet, and not sound like a jet engine who's bearings are going out on it lol. But ya, I already know about grinding beans, been doing it for years, but with the store bought coffee's however. And dark roasts are where its at for me, but as with all things, YMMV. And yep, I am enjoying the different coffee varieties.

I been doing store bought for far too long, gotta branch out sometime. Just another one of those things, to help one enjoy life. The question I have is, have you tried Stirling coffee? And if so, how do you like it? What types of coffee do you prefer? And what method do you use to brew your favorite coffee?

I do have a coffee grinder, its one of those small portable Black & Decker types, still sold on Amazon as a matter of fact. And while its been lasting for many years, making me think it was never going to die, its recently started to sound all wrong, as in, it doesn't long for this world kind of wrong lol. I do have a coffee grinder choice picked out for its replacement though. But as with all things, that takes money, and frankly motorized grinders are just so loud, good luck anybody trying to sleep in the house with those grinders going off.

I was thinking about maybe buying one of those hand crank powered grinders, I think Stirling themselves sells one. At least then it should be quiet, and not sound like a jet engine who's bearings are going out on it lol. But ya, I already know about grinding beans, been doing it for years, but with the store bought coffee's however. And dark roasts are where its at for me, but as with all things, YMMV. And yep, I am enjoying the different coffee varieties.

I been doing store bought for far too long, gotta branch out sometime. Just another one of those things, to help one enjoy life. The question I have is, have you tried Stirling coffee? And if so, how do you like it? What types of coffee do you prefer? And what method do you use to brew your favorite coffee?
I have not tried any Stirling coffee. If I were ordering, I would be interested in trying their Ethiopia Limu for a light roast and Papua New Guinea for something that is more unique. I suspect most people would like their House Blend.

I did not see any hand grinders on Stirling's website, but that is a good option to reduce noise. Just keep in mind that the force needed to grind beans varies a lot depending on the roast level. Darker roasts are relatively easy for most grinders, but a very light roast is almost like grinding walnuts still in the shell.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone, hope your all doing well, enjoying your shaves, and enjoying some delicious coffee. :thumbup1:
Speaking of delicious coffee, look what came in the mail today!

Stirling CO Tanzania 32OZ Dark Roast Coffee.JPG

In a world full of darkness, there is one light, that will light up your life, and bring delicious flavor to your taste buds, Stirling Tanzania Deep & Smooth Dark Roast! Gosh that just looks stunning, at least it does to me. Now, lets have a look at the grind!

Stirling CO Tanzania Coffee.jpg

Looks like a quality medium grind to me, exactly what my Hamilton Beach 49987 asks for. Now, lets make my brewer earn its name, and fill the scoop filter with delicious Stirling coffee!

proxy.php

I wasted no time, to fill that reservoir with water. I set the brew to BOLD and I set it to brew 14 ounces. I pressed the power button and I said..... LETS GO!

Sniff sniff, something smells good in here! I wonder what it could be? How about a freshly brewed cup of Stirling coffee? Yes indeed!

After adding my sweetner and creamer, I took a taste, it was clear that this was different coffee, because it doesn't have the same nutty flavor that my Stirling Kenya coffee has. I am finding it difficult to describe what this coffee tastes like. I just took more sips of this coffee. The best way I can describe this flavor, its like a fresh flavor, almost as if the coffee has a mix of flavor from the plant leaf itself.

I can agree with Stirling's claims that this coffee is smooth, it most certainly is. I enjoy the dark roast flavor, I am a fan of dark roasts, so thats a given really. I think I might love Stirling Kenya a little more, but I also love this coffee too. Next month I will order some lighter roasts in smaller amounts, and I will give you my opinion on them as well.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to give you folks a quick update. I am still using this coffee brewer, and while I haven't even done the first vinegar treatment on it yet, its still performing awesome so far. When you brew Kenya dark roast in this thing, who knew coffee could taste so good? LOL!

The only issue I have had, is trying to spoon out the coffee in them tall Stirling bags. I've been using a standard teaspoon, and let me tell you, that gets difficult once you get towards the bottom of the bag lol. I discovered that coffee shops actually use coffee scooping spoons for this reason.

So I wanted to share this coffee spoon that I got off of Amazon, what a world of difference a 9" long coffee tablespoon makes, works awesome!
IMG_20230108_151102292.jpg

This is what I call, a quality of life improvement, and its the simple things in life you treasure doggone. :thumbup1:

Definitely a fun thread.

I only recently got more into coffee myself.

Love the Janeway coffee reference.

May I suggest a cheap scale? You wouldn't need one of the fancy coffee scales.
Being able to consistently dose your coffee makes for repeatable results.

If you strike upon a cup that makes you go "oh, wow! I 'nailed' this cup", you will be able to fairly accurately repeat that cup until you run out of that bean.

I'm still very new, so I'm taking most of my info from YouTube and here; a good baseline recommended is 60-70 grams of coffee per liter of water.

14 oz is 414 ml, so given 65g/L:coffee/water, 27 grams of coffee (26.9g) is the median for a 14oz cup. (~15.4g/236ml-8oz)

If you think about it like bracketing the light balance of a photograph, or the smokeless powder in a hand load, you can really start to zero in on 'your' perfect cup.

I suspect for your beloved Hamilton Beach 'The Scoop' brewer, your primary parameters are grind size/consistency vs volume of coffee.

X grams 8 oz
Y grams 14 oz
X.b grams 8 oz BOLD
Y.b grams 14 oz BOLD

per coffee per grind setting...and you've got your matrix.

@Altreac
You are on the right track with your information! One easy way to do this with coffee makers is to set the bag of coffee, or the grounds basket from the grinder, on the scale, zero and scoop into the filter until it reads negative(Z, your calculated weight). This balances the nerdiness a bit. :wink2:

(Your also right, consistency is king and it's hard to repeat something when you don't know how you did it)

@Altreac
You are on the right track with your information! One easy way to do this with coffee makers is to set the bag of coffee, or the grounds basket from the grinder, on the scale, zero and scoop into the filter until it reads negative(Z, your calculated weight). This balances the nerdiness a bit. :wink2:

(Your also right, consistency is king and it's hard to repeat something when you don't know how you did it)
That's high praise, thanks very much. There's so much data to filter on the topic, it's pretty wild.

I wouldn't have thought about taking the negative weight on a bag of coffee. That's clever for sure.

I had a Hamilton Beach 12 cup bean to coffee brewer before ordering an espresso machine in September.
My partner and I really enjoyed it. Fill the hopper with bean, the reservoir with water. Set the timer. My wake-up call for almost 2 years was the grinder going off. You wake up to fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee. It was fantastic.

The only hitch I really ran into with the machine was that sometimes, if you missed a bean going into the hopper and it obstructed the 'lid closed trip switch', there was no warning, but it wouldn't fire up in the morning. Happened a couple times before we realized what wasn't working with the machine. After that...no real issues.

The only 'my fault' issues I had other than above, were when, my just woken-up self, I forgot to empty the grind basket.
That means the next morning, when you run through the stuff, the used ground impedes the new bean, it still smells good cause 'some' fresh coffee got brewed, but then the resulting harsh realization that you're drinking re-used grounds...it's kinda terrible. Was still a great experience overall.

And my favorite Hamilton Beach appliance I've used (but don't currently own due to space constrictions in the apartment) is the Breakfast Sandwich Maker!!!!.

I have 3 Scoop Coffee makers, The original , Next Generation, and the Combo 12-cup Drip and Scoop. Hard to pick which one I like best but I seem to use the Original most and the next Gen I use when I use a small coffee filter, and The combo when I have friends over.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I have 3 Scoop Coffee makers, The original , Next Generation, and the Combo 12-cup Drip and Scoop. Hard to pick which one I like best but I seem to use the Original most and the next Gen I use when I use a small coffee filter, and The combo when I have friends over.

Hey there Tallships!

I loved my The Scoop coffee brewer, up until the permanent mesh filter tore, and started making such a mess for me. Unfortunately, there is no support for these coffee brewers, as you can't get paper filters for them. And the only place that I could buy a replacement mesh filter, was from the manufacture themselves, and because of the proprietary nature of it all, they wanted far too much money plus shipping to buy a replacement.

The MAX life out of my high usage, that I got out of my brewer, was just 1-month shy of a year. Well, I should clarify, the brewer still works fine, its the mesh filter that is tore, and doesn't work fine. I decided that I didn't want to pay the outrageous costs for a filter replacement. I decided to wise up and just buy a professional certified drip brewer, and got the Behmore Brazen Plus 3.0 brewer as replacement.

I've had my Behmore brewer since March of this year I believe, so its getting close to being a year old, and I haven't had a single problem with it, since I got it. It works perfectly every time, the permanent golden mesh filter is top notch. And if it should ever tear like my old brewer, I can use Bunn 10-cup flat papers filters in the thing, so none of this proprietary garbage.

While a single cup brewer is most certainly convenient, it is problematic in the long run. Glad that you have had much success with yours Just know, if you start using them heavily as a main use brewer, and brewing for multiple people, that filter will not last. So, there are trade offs with going with single cup proprietary brewers, as well as the convenient benefits of them. Thanks for your post!

Hey there Tallships!

I loved my The Scoop coffee brewer, up until the permanent mesh filter tore, and started making such a mess for me. Unfortunately, there is no support for these coffee brewers, as you can't get paper filters for them. And the only place that I could buy a replacement mesh filter, was from the manufacture themselves, and because of the proprietary nature of it all, they wanted far too much money plus shipping to buy a replacement.

The MAX life out of my high usage, that I got out of my brewer, was just 1-month shy of a year. Well, I should clarify, the brewer still works fine, its the mesh filter that is tore, and doesn't work fine. I decided that I didn't want to pay the outrageous costs for a filter replacement. I decided to wise up and just buy a professional certified drip brewer, and got the Behmore Brazen Plus 3.0 brewer as replacement.

I've had my Behmore brewer since March of this year I believe, so its getting close to being a year old, and I haven't had a single problem with it, since I got it. It works perfectly every time, the permanent golden mesh filter is top notch. And if it should ever tear like my old brewer, I can use Bunn 10-cup flat papers filters in the thing, so none of this proprietary garbage.

While a single cup brewer is most certainly convenient, it is problematic in the long run. Glad that you have had much success with yours Just know, if you start using them heavily as a main use brewer, and brewing for multiple people, that filter will not last. So, there are trade offs with going with single cup proprietary brewers, as well as the convenient benefits of them. Thanks for your post!

I get 100 small coffee filters at Walmart (thumb size) I just spread them open and they fit very well in Next Gen and Combo, in the original, I just dampen the filter to fit it in, also, you can get the filters cheaper on Amazon by typing in " small coffee filters" these are the filters on Amazon, 600 for $23.00
1701431741647.jpeg

Top Bottom