What's new

Where to buy higher-end shaving brushes?

Bullgoose has Shavemac's of all varieties on sale until Christmas. You also can order Shavemac brushes directly fro Shavemac.

Saville Row = QED

Rooney = Vintage Blades

My Berkeley, being a smaller brush, works pretty well in smaller tins to gather soap. Plus it's nice as a travel brush, and it's pretty soft. It's lightly scrubby, but it doesn't have that scratchiness that some brushes have.

At home, I don't have to worry about space, so a larger brush is welcomed. I have to say, I like the look of some of those Thäter brushes... The 49125 series looks sweet with that clear handle. The SR 3824 has gotten glowing reviews. M&F brushes look amazing, but have to be custom-ordered, so I think I'll hold off on that until I know more about what I want in a brush.

redrako, thanks for the tip on the Shavemac sale. You also bring up something that's been a bit frustrating for me. Without doing some digging, it can sometimes be difficult to figure out who really makes these brushes. Most people figure the brand name is also the manufacturer, but that's not always the case, as you point out.

My eyes hit the BST pretty much every day, sometimes several times. Now that I know you can't just buy one that's in stock, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I think my list just continues to grow... now I want one of each, Rooney, Thäter, Saville Row, M&F, Shavemac... why, oh, WHY must these decisions be so difficult? :biggrin1:

Any thoughts around brushes from Kent? How would those compare to the others already mentioned? So many choices...

Softer at the tips and significantly less backbone than any of the brushes mentioned in this thread. If you were exclusively a bowl latherer or someone who starts in bowl and finishes on face, then kent would be your brand. But if hard soaps and face lathering are something you enjoy, it feels like you're just punishing a Kent brush by lathering hard soaps.

The brush also has too much splay to be a quality face latherer IMHO. It produces huge amounts of lather in a bowl or on your face but it just makes face lathering really messy.

Any thoughts around brushes from Kent? How would those compare to the others already mentioned? So many choices...

Thanks for filling me in about Kent brushes. I already have a soft, floppy brush for bowl lathering. While I may keep them in mind as an upgrade to my existing brush down the line, they definitely sound like they're not what I'm looking for at this point.

Actually, if you want a brush will really soft tips and nice flow through, I'd suggest a Savile Row 3824. They are available from QED. I don't think you can buy a better brush for the price.

you might consider getting rudy vey to make a custom for you.

and jarrod (superior shave) is unique in showing each and every one of his in-stock brushes in pictures so you can select the exact one that you like.

by the way, i've only had great service from any b&b vendor ever ordered from.

Last edited:
Actually, if you want a brush will really soft tips and nice flow through, I'd suggest a Savile Row 3824. They are available from QED. I don't think you can buy a better brush for the price.

That's been recommended multiple times already. Definitely sounds like a brush to seriously consider.

you might consider getting rudy vey to make a custom for you.

and jarrod (superior shave) is unique in showing each and every one of his in-stock brushes in pictures so you can select the exact one that you like.

by the way, i've only had great service from any b&b vendor ever ordered from.

I'll take a look at what Rudy can offer, but I may not want to wait that long to get a custom brush. I hear he makes fantastic brushes, but they also sound like they might end up near the top or out of my price range.

when you buy brushes consider buying a variety in bulk to take advantage of BB discount codes. I did recently from Fendrihan after I got a tip to request a coupon code and that shaved 10 percent off the total.

I was like you looking at both the Saville 3824 & Thater 4125 and so I did what I always do when I "narrow" it down to a single choice and I'm in in doubt - I bought BOTH when they went on sale over the course of a month :thumbup1:

$Badger Brushes 3 of 4.jpg$Badger Brushes 2 of 4.jpg

They are both in the rotation an equal # of times.

Gene

I'll take a look at what Rudy can offer, but I may not want to wait that long to get a custom brush. I hear he makes fantastic brushes, but they also sound like they might end up near the top or out of my price range.

Rudy is great to work with, and his stuff is a bargain. I got a 24 mm chubby style in finest for around 80 bucks, and I think from ordering to delivery was only a week or maybe 10 days at the outside. Silvertip is a little more, but well within your budget. He gave me a ton of guidance as well. Highly recommended.

Those Thäter brushes just look nice and dense. That's certainly NOT helping me narrow things down! :001_tt2:

So, I think I've eliminated Kent, Shavemac, and Rooney for the time being. (M&F taking the place of Rooney, if nothing else.) What's left? M&F, Thäter, and Savile Row.

Since I want to be able to bowl-lather with samples or creams, I'm thinking something with a longer handle would be best, though I love the look of the shorter 4125 handle.

As of right now, here are the contenders:

• Thäter 4292/4 or 4294/5 Finest Silvertip
  • Savile Row 3824
  • Custom M&F

I'm thinking of taking the Savile Row, simply because I do see Thäter and M&F brushes hit BST periodically, but I rarely see SR brushes. That tends to make me think people refuse to part with them. With the Thäter, I'm stuck on the fan/bulb dilemma. I've never had a fan-shaped brush. I'm also unsure if I want the two-band or not. I hear two-band tends to have more backbone, but also a little more scritch, which would be awesome for soaps. But, I dislike scritch. A lot. Two-band is also considerably more expensive.

Any additional input on the listed brushes? Any personal experiences someone may be able to offer? Two-band or three-band? Bulb or fan? Would the shorter Thäter 4125 handle be fine for bowl-lathering, or is it too short?

Last edited:
Since I'm mostly considering the difference between the SR 3824 and the Thäters, I'd love to know thoughts on that comparison, as well.

Kent is a great brush! Granted my BLK 12 is huge Woolly mammoth of a brush but it's soft as a cloud. Maybe the BK8 or 4 would be more appropriate. I love big brushes!

Top Bottom