What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Wow!

I had the same book on my shelf (not got around to reading some just yet!), but I love 'Weird fiction' from that era, eg Lovecraft, Arthur Machen. A photograph of it and the box of an old Tallow Tabac stick.

Dunsany.jpg

Wow! :c9:

I had the same book on my shelf (not got around to reading some just yet!), but I love 'Weird fiction' from that era, eg Lovecraft, Arthur Machen. A photograph of it and the box of an old Tallow Tabac stick.

View attachment 1302291
Part one is a bit stilted and formal in the style of:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Part two: The sword of Welleran introduces more mundane stories of the mortal plane.

I can highly recommend Fritz Leiber‘s 1st and 2nd Book of Lankhmar :c9:

Part one is a bit stilted and formal in the style of:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Part two: The sword of Welleran introduces more mundane stories of the mortal plane.

I can highly recommend Fritz Leiber‘s 1st and 2nd Book of Lankhmar :c9:

Thanks for the recommendation, I have added the 1st Lankmar book to my Amazon wishlist. I read the word Conan mentioned in the reviews, which is right up my street.

The Lord Dunsany recap sounds interesting, different to what I expected; seems like it is more of a inspiration to some of the Weird Fiction writers more so than being one of those writers.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have added the 1st Lankmar book to my Amazon wishlist. I read the word Conan mentioned in the reviews, which is right up my street.

The Lord Dunsany recap sounds interesting, different to what I expected; seems like it is more of a inspiration to some of the Weird Fiction writers more so than being one of those writers.
If you look for that whole creation of the world and epic struggles before the coming of man the prelude to LOTR, the Silmarillion, has heaps of it and is a great read.

My most loved Lovecraft novel is The Dream - Quest of Uknown Kadath.

My jar of Tabac from Amazon just arrived and it has the tallow. When I checked the listing it says from Peter Pann. I could have sworn it said sold by Maurer and Wirtz when I ordered. Anyhow I am happy. If I am lucky my refill will have the tallow as well.

Tabac.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I received my order from Amazon today, two refill pucks - both are the new version, so back it goes. It was advertised on the site showing the old ingredients list, but shipping out is the new one. Kinda pissed at them, liked to have a backup, but i have so many soaps that I really do not need another one..Too bad, I also just got back from the UPS store when I found the soap on my door steps, and now have to go back and ship the return.

In the for what it’s worth category, Hasslinger‘s soaps are indistinguishable between the tallows and non-tallow for performance and scents in the Aloe Vera. Granted, I did find 3 tallow pucks that I scarfed up, because… yeah.

I hope for y’all‘s sake Tabac maintains its performance. l love the performance, hate the scent.

I have one half finished puck and two full pucks of Tabac on hand. Before the Tabacolypse, I thought having two unused pucks excessive. So far I have fought the urge to stockpile more. As much as I like Tabac, there are artisan soaps I prefer and a few traditional soap brands that are in the same ballpark for performance for me.

The word is out for sure. Good luck finding the refill pucks with Tallow as they appear to be sold out in most places. If my Amazon refill is the non-tallow I will most likely return it as well.

I received a message from Martelli (Proraso) essentially saying that they have no intention of producing Valobra shaving soap.
They plan to make Valobra bath soap in 2022.

Well at least two people asked. The bath soap will be tallow based so Martelli isn't shy about making tallow soaps. That's a plus.

I pointed out some folks are not happy with C&S replacement to Valobra, and Tabac's reformulation may create a vacuum for classic tallow shave soaps. Gave a link to this and another relavant thread regarding C&S. Well see.

Email Proraso here.

Last edited:
I received a message from Martelli (Proraso) essentially saying that they have no intention of producing Valobra shaving soap.
They plan to make Valobra bath soap in 2022.
I kind of expected that, unfortunately. Their plan seems to be to sell upmarket European bath soaps to prosperous Chinese people. There are probably more than a half-billion of them who need to get clean every day. Most of the men probably prefer to use electric shavers, so why would they need shaving soap? Shaving soap is more of a niche market.

Top Bottom