What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Even the review thread has too many non review posts. Some quite informative though
If we will get into semantics here, here it goes. What you are referring to as the original question is the title. The first post by the OP doesn’t ask where the tallow is, but has the formulation changed.
Oh and FYI, I am a die hard Tabac fan and have a small stash that I got before all this came to fruition. And I also read every single post in all the 32 pages.
Let’s not beat around the Bush, all this back and forth is to solidify the belief of everyone that the new formulation is not as good as the old. Unfortunately most of us will never find out as we refuse to try the new one. So to continue beating a dead horse is pointless and this thread has run it’s course in trying to answer if the new formula is as good as the old.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If we will get into semantics here, here it goes. What you are referring to as the original question is the title. The first post by the OP doesn’t ask where the tallow is, but has the formulation changed.
Oh and FYI, I am a die hard Tabac fan and have a small stash that I got before all this came to fruition. And I also read every single post in all the 32 pages.
Let’s not beat around the Bush, all this back and forth is to solidify the belief of everyone that the new formulation is not as good as the old. Unfortunately most of us will never find out as we refuse to try the new one. So to continue beating a dead horse is pointless and this thread has run it’s course in trying to answer if the new formula is as good as the old.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks.

Perfectly stated my friend. If I could find one of my Grandma's old purses though, I could sell it to someone that could copy the scent, because it is EXACTLY the same as Tabac. Exactly.
Check out Chanel perfume. Your Grandma knew perfectly well it had to be used sparingly. Alas, the problem with her purse was, it couldn't be washed or dry cleaned, so the scent would build up over the years. The same problem applies to silk scarves, furs and other winter coats, which can only be cleaned gently and occasionally or they won't last long. My mother preferred Cuir de Russie. But if you put your nose up to a bottle of full strength Chanel no. 5, which is more commonly seen, don't be surprised if it reminds you more than a little of Tabac.

Personally, I found @RussellR5555's review contributive.
That new Tabac "matched" SV (which is no slouch) in terms of lather/performance is encouraging news.
Had the review been highly critical of new Tabac (vs SV), it would have been informative too (albeit disappointing).

(Don't know why he abstains from tallow, but I have no good reason to believe his review was to downplay tallow Tabac.)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Personally, I found @RussellR5555's review contributive.
That new Tabac "matched" SV (which is no slouch) in terms of lather/performance is encouraging news.
Had the review been highly critical of new Tabac (vs SV), it would have been informative too (albeit disappointing).

(Don't know why he abstains from tallow, but I have no good reason to believe his review was to downplay tallow Tabac.)
My apologies if I made it seem as if he had ulterior motives, I don't mean that at all.
I do think that though it may be a valuable review for non-tallow users, for me it is of very little value in determining an answer to the burning question-
Did Maurer & Wirtz lessen a fabulous soap.

There certainly are a lot of different opinions but this thread served a valuable purpose. We all know that Tabac has been reformulated without tallow. Whether the new formulation will be better, worse or equivalent may be debated for years.

The real value was the heads-up about this and the opportunity for those that wanted to stay with what they know and love to stock up on the tallow product.

Choices and preferences vary but this thread did its job. Thank you for making me aware of the change and the opportunity to plan accordingly.

Choices and preferences vary but this thread did its job. Thank you for making me aware of the change and the opportunity to plan accordingly.
Exactly.

The discussion in this thread and the parallel ongoing thread brought up one more interesting detail. The obviously significant change of the scent.
Tallow vs non tallow - that would not have been the deciding factor for me not to buy the new soap, as long as the new formula performs. A signifant change in fragrance, however, does.

Last edited:
My apologies if I made it seem as if he had ulterior motives, I don't mean that at all.
No worries, not necessary as far as I'm concerned, my last statement wasn't directed at you. I just put it there lest the idea occurred (to anyone).

I do think that though it may be a valuable review for non-tallow users, for me it is of very little value in determining an answer to the burning question-
Did Maurer & Wirtz lessen a fabulous soap.
I found the review offered some insight and encouragement, despite being a user of tallow myself.
But I see your point. Thanks.

The new Tabac formula does not contain synthetic surfactants. Synthetic surfactants would be detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate. These are good for cleaning, but may not be the best choice for use on your face. The main Tabac ingredients are just vegetable soaps, made with refined vegetable oils from natural sources.

Soaps and detergents are both surfactants. The manufacture is not using detergents as you seem to imply. What they are using is fractionated vegetable oil. Fractionating is a refining process that has been used for decades. Unrefined oils consist of a mixture of several different fatty acids. Fractionating is a method of separating the different fatty acids using controlled cooling and filtering. There is no chemical change, simply separation and concentration of material. This allows the manufacture to more closely control the properties of their product. In this case, to more closely emulate the performance of the old Tabac shaving soap. That's probably a good and reasonable thing to do, not something to worry about.

Laurates can be synthetic or natural; synthetic laurates are used by soap manufacturers for cleansing, emulsifying or as a surfactant. Tabac has replaced a natural surfactant, potassium cocoate and removed tallow.

Screenshot_20210806-150242.png

Laurates can be synthetic or natural; synthetic laurates are used by soap manufacturers for cleansing, emulsifying or as a surfactant. Tabac has replaced a natural surfactant, potassium cocoate and removed tallow.
I thought we had agreed to disagree?

You seem to be confused by chemistry and also by ingredient labels. Laurates are soaps (not synthetic detergents). The parent chemical is lauric acid, a medium chain saturated fatty acid with 12 carbons. Lauric acid literally grows on trees. The major sources of lauric acid in the world are coconut oil and palm kernel oil (~50% of the oil is lauric acid). It is a natural material.

1628286880458.png

When separated from coconut oil or palm kernel oil, lauric acid is a white solid with a faint soapy odor. Lauric acid is responsible for many of the properties we associate with coconut oil. Separation is done through controlled chilling and filtering, without chemical change to the lauric acid.

The saponification chemical reaction is lauric acid with potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide. The reaction yields potassium laurate, sodium laurate and glycerin. This kind of reaction is the way soap has been made since ancient times.

Surfactant is a contraction of surface-acting agent. An emulsifier is a substance that helps an emulsion form, or keeps it from separating. Natural soap, as made for centuries, can serve as a surfactant, emulsifier or cleaning agent. It is not unnatural or synthetic because we use scary technical terms to describe its uses.

Top Bottom