What's new

Where are the modern CNCed aluminum adjustable razors?

Considering the components on an adjustable, an aluminum one would probably be great. It would be heavier but still light.

I'm sure somebody at Italian Barber (Razorock) is working out the complexity / production cost / market size tradeoffs right now.
Pearl might be another contender -- the brass Flexi could be made in aluminum (if aluminum is strong enough), unplated, at a lower cost.

I don't know enough about current 3D printing to guess whether a 3D-printed aluminum adjustable would eliminate a lot of CNC work (and cost).

. CHarles

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Brass is self-lubricating with low resistance between parts, even after decades.
The strength of stainless steel avoids the possibility of breaking part details, and the surface does not need to be protected by electroplating.

The aluminum alloy must be corroded with an acid solution to corrode tiny holes on the surface, so that the anodic oxidation can be attached, in order to strengthen the surface and avoid oxidation; therefore, the long-term friction of aluminum alloy adjustable parts is worrying, and the anodic oxidation protective layer will be locally lost.
In addition, the metal rigidity of aluminum alloy is 2/3 less than that of steel, and the metal fatigue resistance is also very low, so the repeated force of the moving parts may accumulate deformation or even break.

If a brand were to make an aluminum adjustable razor, it would have to add thickness in many places and avoid a wear-prone structure; so the appearance would be different from any existing design.

Brass is self-lubricating with low resistance between parts, even after decades.
The strength of stainless steel avoids the possibility of breaking part details, and the surface does not need to be protected by electroplating.

The aluminum alloy must be corroded with an acid solution to corrode tiny holes on the surface, so that the anodic oxidation can be attached, in order to strengthen the surface and avoid oxidation; therefore, the long-term friction of aluminum alloy adjustable parts is worrying, and the anodic oxidation protective layer will be locally lost.
In addition, the metal rigidity of aluminum alloy is 2/3 less than that of steel, and the metal fatigue resistance is also very low, so the repeated force of the moving parts may accumulate deformation or even break.

If a brand were to make an aluminum adjustable razor, it would have to add thickness in many places and avoid a wear-prone structure; so the appearance would be different from any existing design.
Hits the high points, wear on moving parts and tensile strength being chief among them. You could certainly build an adjustable from aluminum, and it's a very workable metal - it's just last on the list of just about every other metal in terms of physical properties or suitability for purpose with respect to an adjustable razor.

(Here I am, in the process of buying a vintage AL razor, saying this...) Most people don't purchase, or receive aluminum personal products with longevity in mind. Intellectually, I would suggest, it is more "disposable" than plastics, as it is easily recycled.

I have the Fine Slant. I love the look, the shave is excellent! Those are the reasons I keep it; however, picking it up is like being the 5 year old holding his wood & plastic hammer and KNOWING, "This is NOT dad's 20oz framer..." Totally subjective, totally unrelated to performance, and in context totally false, but...

Top Bottom