What's new

When/Why did Moustaches become creepy?

When did they become creepy? ARE they creepy? I don't know. Probably its just because we tend to notice bad facial hair and forget good facial hair. If a guy turned out to be a really bad person, we remember his facial hair if he had any. And we forget it on a good guy. It really makes no sense at all. It is, after all, just hair. But in the 1960s and 1970s length or hair said a lot about who you were and how polite society received you. Hippies had long hair. Traditional guys had short hair. And so there was always a great social and cultural divide there.

Yesterday, I was talking to my 19 year old about grooming styles. How in the 70's long hair on guys was the style until about late 70's when precision short cuts were 'the'. fashion. Two years ago it seemed like facial hair was played out after about five or six years of it, but now I noticed when I went to ulta, yesterday in the Men's Grooming section there were a total of three cans/tubes of shave cream on a shelf and the same section had four shelves full of beard wax, paste, oils, conditioners, etc. So it seems like grooming styles have become eclectic and all will coexist for now. As an older guy, I can't stand my beard which grow's mostly gray. On older guys it makes them look older and gives off an 'I just don't care anymore vibe.' Jackson Brown, who is a good looking guy has a picture on his new album sporting that kind of look. There are the occasional old guy beards that when groomed, look majestic though.

Top Bottom