What's new

When a Ben Hur razor is not an Apollo

This razor has always been a fantasy of mine....I started bidding on a rare ebay offer a few years ago...I had to drop out right away...If I remember correctly it went for around $350...these Ben-Hur razors are real beauties..

They are somewhat getting rare.

I think you are right, there could have been multiple reasons. I found some new information that seems to support your theory, that one very important factor involved really could have been the ongoing (and sadly escalating) war and that they had to increasingly focus on the european market.

I was wrong about one thing, I assumed that there is only one Herkenrath Company, but look what I have found:

http://www.hugo-herkenrath.de

proxy.php

http://www.apollo-herkenrath.de

proxy.php

On the Hugo Herkenrath page there is a short description of the Company history. Hugo Herkenrath was the first Company, founded in 1905 (like it is written on the invoice from 1935; at that time the Company was called Friedrich Herkenrath, I havn't found an explanation, but I guess it's not very likely that two different Herkenrath Companies were founded in 1905). Export was an important factor for their business and they used steel from Sheffield ("Kayser-Ellison-Steel") to produce high quality scissors. I looks like at some point around the year 1940 a member of the Herkenrath family founded Apollo and they produced safety razors and blades. From that point on Hugo Herkenrath must have focused it's business on straight razors and scissors.

That is some good research work, i admire your efforts, i will book mark this page and credit you and mblakele when using it....

Ben Hur standard.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1388721404124.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1388721404124.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 135
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1388721422828.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1388721422828.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 140
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1388721483013.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1388721483013.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 135
Reviving this thread because this seems to be where Apollo history is discussed.
In @Jake s excellent presentation of his Matador adjustable, @jmudrick showed some Herckenrathpatents one of which is probably interesting here.
The GB485747-patent descibes a slant razor with a topcap attached to the baseplate with a hinge, and room for blades in the handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Compare that patent with the following razor, where the similarities with the description and especially Fig 1 are very obvious:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The last picture shows patents are pending. The GB485747 is applied for early february 1938, and granted late may 1938. Since this patent was applied for certainly in Germany (not yet found) and possibly in other countries as well, the plural can be explained. It would also suggest the Apollo-brand was used by Herckenrath during the applicationperiod, ie first half of 1938.

Fantastic information and I am glad you were able to acquire that unique and extremely rare Apollo/Ben Hur razor -- similar to the similar Fasan "one" piece I have. Wonder whether there were connections among the engineers from these 2 companies. Regardless, the Apollo you are displaying above is a very impressive example of the design ingenuity of these German razor makers. Thanks for sharing that here.

Thanks. Your Fasan is a stunning razor and one I've been on the lookout for ever since you've shown yours.
You've obviously noticed the family-resemblance between my Apollo one-piece and the Apollo humpback slant you've shown here once? Here are mine:
proxy.php

Another interesting piece of history is a Hans Jarke mailordercatalogue that the internet dates 1934-1936 that I have. It shows a "Zweischnitt" razor that is a copy of the all-brown bakelite Apollo
proxy.php

Thanks. Your Fasan is a stunning razor and one I've been on the lookout for ever since you've shown yours.
You've obviously noticed the family-resemblance between my Apollo one-piece and the Apollo humpback slant you've shown here once? Here are mine:
proxy.php

Another interesting piece of history is a Hans Jarke mailordercatalogue that the internet dates 1934-1936 that I have. It shows a "Zweischnitt" razor that is a copy of the all-brown bakelite Apollo
proxy.php
Very cool catalog. Do you have one of those Apollos? I think I have one in that case, will look for it and see. Wonder who they were emulating with that design? Or were they simply experimenting with that radical design? Bakelite. Slant. Light weight. All unusual and innovative designs for that period in history. Especially with the Brits and Yanks making those heavy weight highly engineered nickel, gold, or rhodium plated over brass shavers. Wonder how successful they were. And how much market share did they gain with these razors?

I'll look for my Apollo Bakelite slant. Please display yours if you've got one too. And thanks for displaying those other very nice Apollo "humpback" slants.

@Jake these are my slants, I only show razors I own :)
Three different boxes, three different colorschemes, two razors (middle and right) with differential aggression, those same two razors with the Apollobrand on the razor.
Left is model 211, right is model 311, middle I don't know. All have a metal topcap, and the white material is called pollopas, a duroplast as is the brown bakelite. All three are two-piece razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Another of those Apollo sets, with a cousin coming from the Sonnal genotype. The Apollo model 311, as you've named it above, is similar but not exactly the same as the apparent copy from Sonnal. Interesting style -- chunky and well made -- IMHO.
First up, the Apollo Bakelite slant.

full

full

No doubt an Apollo branded set.
full

And it's slanted cousin.
full

full

I've a few other Sonnal razor sets, but none compare to this one. The others are metal, likely brass.
full

Thought I'd simply add to the discussion. Vintage and history -- out of the time machine.

Hi @Jake
Your Apollo is nice and interesting, as it is branded Apollo, where my all-brown one is not. Could suggest mine is the Zweischnitt shown in the Hans Jarke catalogue.
My all-white, Apollo-branded, razor is the 311, identified by someone who has the wrapper. The brown razor with white baseplate, also Apollo-branded, is the 211, according to its box. The all-brown one I don't know the modelnumber of.
Your Sonnal is very pretty as well. Nice humpback. I have the same, except in brown bakelite, came in a bakelite box. Difference between the Sonnal and the Apollo's of course is that the Sonnal is not torqued, it is only slanted. In my personnal vocabulary that makes the Sonnal a diagonal, and the Apollo's slants. And yes, I know the terms are more or less synonymous.

Hi @Jake
Your Apollo is nice and interesting, as it is branded Apollo, where my all-brown one is not. Could suggest mine is the Zweischnitt shown in the Hans Jarke catalogue.
My all-white, Apollo-branded, razor is the 311, identified by someone who has the wrapper. The brown razor with white baseplate, also Apollo-branded, is the 211, according to its box. The all-brown one I don't know the modelnumber of.
Your Sonnal is very pretty as well. Nice humpback. I have the same, except in brown bakelite, came in a bakelite box. Difference between the Sonnal and the Apollo's of course is that the Sonnal is not torqued, it is only slanted. In my personnal vocabulary that makes the Sonnal a diagonal, and the Apollo's slants. And yes, I know the terms are more or less synonymous.
Thanks for your further clarification. And I agree that the nomenclature with slants, twists, diagonals -- they are not well defined but we can establish this vocabulary now. Do doubt the former marketing teams for these "radical" designs were also challenged to arrive at terminology that identified unique benefits and features -- representing the engineering teams best new designs. And now we're there again -- with cartridges on one side, and smallish craftsmen making creative designs for a much smaller market. And those few of us digging through the vintage baskets and discovering history. It's fun.

Reviving this thread because this seems to be where Apollo history is discussed.
In @Jake s excellent presentation of his Matador adjustable, @jmudrick showed some Herckenrathpatents one of which is probably interesting here.
The GB485747-patent descibes a slant razor with a topcap attached to the baseplate with a hinge, and room for blades in the handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Compare that patent with the following razor, where the similarities with the description and especially Fig 1 are very obvious:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The last picture shows patents are pending. The GB485747 is applied for early february 1938, and granted late may 1938. Since this patent was applied for certainly in Germany (not yet found) and possibly in other countries as well, the plural can be explained. It would also suggest the Apollo-brand was used by Herckenrath during the applicationperiod, ie first half of 1938.
Now I'm reviving this thread, and deeply saddened by the pics that won't load any longer :(.
I recently added a mini Apollo collection to my collection. The Apollo Fix, I believe, is the hinge cap patent you mentioned above:
20221019_012045.jpg
An Apollo DE, which has the proprietary curved head...and off center notches so even if you wanted to try a rectangular blade, you couldn't.:
20221019_012051.jpg
Last, but not least, a bakelite Ben-Hur travel razor:
20221019_012034.jpg

Here's the whole gang.
20221019_012104.jpg

Nice collection @Old School TSD
The Apollo Fix is a different razor from the mostly bakelite slant with built in the handle blade storage I showed earlier. However: I am on the lookout for one as I like the fix. Here's the one I showed earlier:
DSC09034.JPG

The razor with proprietary blades is NOT of the same family as the Ben Hur/Apollo from Germany. The proprietary ones are from France. Different brand, different factory, different producer. They are, however, interesting. I like the smile the blade has, and the real flat baseplate. Also, the fact that they had blades from damast steel.

Top Bottom