What's new

Wheelgun Wednesday

My all-time favorite wheel gun; my 1954 Colt 357. My dad bought it new, and gave it to me when I entered the Academy in 1977. I carried it for many years on patrol, even long after we had the option to switch to Colt or Sig .45’s. I still shoot it weekly (I’m usually the only one shooting a revolver at the range). They don’t build them like that anymore.

Attachments

• Yh2hKwR2TpCNtaFoOh7Uwg.jpg
    Yh2hKwR2TpCNtaFoOh7Uwg.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
When I bought this Python the trigger stacked pretty bad, and even though this one spends most of its time in the back of the safe, I wanted an excuse to shoot it, so Frank Glenn did a wonderful trigger job on it for me. Because I don’t carry my snubbies, I prefer full size grips, even though they may look a little wonky.
IMG_0200.jpeg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
An unusual H&R. This is a very early H&R 38S&W Top Break, serial number 234 and without either a model number or model name. It was most likely made in 1937 or 1938 and the design was called "The Defender" starting in 1940. It was initially aimed at the British market and listed as chambered for the 38-200 cartridge. It's a 5 shot cylinder.

H&R-03-small.jpg

H&R-07small.jpg

Wow, these Wednesdays seem to roll around quickly. Today's wheelgun for me is a S&W Model 10-8 four-inch heavy barrel. This gun was a law enforcement turn-in from a local PD in France and reimported back to the US. The exterior looks like the guy carried it in a holster made of barbed wire, but the action is superb and the barrel excellent. The hammer spur had the tip of it bobbed off a bit professionally. I'm showing the importer engraving and the French proof marks on the top strap.

The grips are interesting. These are the rubber Trausch grips developed by Jacques Trausch and used extensively in Europe. They are very comfortable, but also quite ugly. They're a keeper.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since I have a lot of down time after surgery, I decided to clean a single firearm every couple of days or so from the 10 or 15 dirty firearms that are in my safe. They should all be clean in a month or so. :)

Celebrated Revolver Wednesday’s and cleaned the 3 inch Ruger SP101 today.

IMG_0205.jpg

My SAA. A 1971 commemorative that had been engraved, and further embellished by a previous owner, but never fired. I had George Roghaar strip all the gold, nickle and purple bluing and put on a really nice nickle plate on it. Then proceeded to shoot the heck out of it.
GT2.jpg
saa 2.jpg

I'm going deep for Wheelgun Wedneday. This is the gun I used when I competed in NRA Action Shooting/Bianchi Cup competitions. It's an S&W 686 built by Bill Jarvis. This thing had an amazing, and light, double action trigger pull. It was reliable with Federal primers. I used a Riley Gilmore/Tasco "Moving target" red dot that you could adjust for the speed of the moving target event. The grips are Hogue with the big base so you could lay the grip on the ground as a hold for prone shooting.

Top Bottom