What's new

What's your Mach3 cartridge life

I still use a Mach 3 when I'm in a rush or sleep deprived. I get about 15 single pass shaves on my dense, fast growing fairly coarse beard.

What is this Mach3 you speak of? Will it work in my Merkur?

The Mach 3 is a Gillette 3 blade cartridge razor that was first released in 1998.

proxy.php

I'm a DE shaver now, but when I used a Mach 3 I would get a month or so of daily 2 pass shaves, in the shower with lots of water.

I have gotten as many as 75 shaves from a single Mach 3 cartridge and only stopped because I was "bored" with it.

I believe depending on beard density and prep, it's possible to get many, many more than that. There are already folks here that can go well over 100 shaves on a single DE blade :eek2:

I have gotten as many as 75 shaves from a single Mach 3 cartridge and only stopped because I was "bored" with it.

I believe depending on beard density and prep, it's possible to get many, many more than that. There are already folks here that can go well over 100 shaves on a single DE blade :eek2:
That's what I do not understand, 100 shaves on DE.

I would average 6 two pass shaves. The fifth and sixth felt like a disposable twin. If I tried number seven bumps and ingrown. Now its either DE or Trac II. I really never liked the Mach. The weak spring action left a lot to be desired. Has anyone tried the cheaper Polish made Sensor blades? How were they?

I would get a solid 2-3 weeks of great shaves with a Mach 3 before it started to tug too much. Probably about 5x as many shaves as I would get with a DE blade. Good thing DE blades are so cheap.

I was getting a few months per cartridge when I was using them. I was only doing a simple 1 pass, WTG shave back then. The glide strip would have been a bare strip for a while when I was done with it. Often the first shave with it involved whacking through a years or more beard growth.

I really cannot compare it to my DE though. My goals for the shave were too different. Mach 3 excelled at quick, efficient, no brainer shaves. Which is what I was trying for at the time.

I got on the Mach III train when it came out. I had tried Sensor, but Atra was my weapon of choice until the M3. Trouble was, I only got three shaves out of them before they became uncomfortable, and I don't have a particularly thick beard either. That is one of the reasons I looked into traditional shaving methods, and haven't really looked back. There were times when M3, Atra, or Wilkison Sword Profile Plus were quicker and more in keeping with my schedule, and even if most DE blades last me only 3-4 shaves, it is still heaps cheaper than cartridge shaving.

I can get tons of shaves out of a Machine 3 ....did like 60 shave with a Schick Injector blade and E injector

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I used Mach3s before moving to Fusion, then onto DE. I had left a Mach3 in my travel kit, and when I used that after having moved to the Fusion, I found that I liked the results of the Mach3 better.

I think they used to last me about a month or two. I was shaving in the shower and usually only 1 pass, with a bit of ATG around the neck and under the chin. That's probably why that lasted longer for me. I would change them once I started to feel tugging.

Now I mostly DE shave, but keep the Mach3 around because it still gives me better results going ATG on my neck and under my chin, jaw-line. At that rate one cart will last me 6 months to a year (at least my one Mach3 that I was still using since starting DE shaving lasted me about 8 months).

I think a Mach 3 works well if you have use a good lather instead of the canned stuff.
I could tolerate a 3-pass with this cartridge, but definitely not the 5 blade ones.

Over a month used everyday. If used after a hot shower while in the shower. I think its all about how soft you can make your whiskers and how sensitive your skin is. I have gone way past the wear bar (blue strip) and never had pulling the hair, but would change cartridge because I thought I should. I should mention my skin is pretty rugged, outside construction for 35 years.

Top Bottom