What's new

What's your Mach3 cartridge life

I have been using Gillette Mach3 cartridges for about 2 months. The current cartridge has been in use for 8 shaves with each being 2 to 2 1/2 passes. Some other cartridge have only lasted 3 or 4 shaves. That's quite a difference in Gillette's cartridge life.
What results have some of you other Mach3 users experienced?

I used to swap them out when the lubricating strip failed, usually about a week. but that was when I used just canned goo, had I been using a good soap and brush maybe I could have used them longer - if it hadn't been for the ingrowns that is.

I've never used a Mach 3. My Gillette Atra (Contour) cartridges lasted a week, in general. At least, I made it a habit to change them weekly, before they started pulling.

M3 carts were my favourite as twin carts clogged up too much and Fusion/Proglide just hung on my whiskers.

When I was using canned gel, only the first shave from a brand new M3 cart gave me what I would deem a 'good' shave though. The next 2 or 3 shaves would be acceptable but because of the cost of the carts I would endure another couple of shaves for the rest of that week and would look forward to a new cart on Monday.

The only time I use an M3 now is when I travel. But now I use it with soap and brush and get 3-4 'good' shaves before I change the blade as I refuse to push a cart and endure any more bad shaves.

Comparing M3 with DE blades, a DE blade like a Feather or Astra SP will give me 3 good shaves. But DE is not only cheaper, I no longer get ingrowns, definitely a win win.

I have had around 32 single pass daily shaves from a mach 3 cart, still sharp, run it down a leans leg, don't know if this makes any difference.

One week, one pass shaves. I have tough, coarse facial hair and I just wore out those things.

Haven't used one in years, though.

About 3 or 4 shaves. Sensor Excels last me a solid week.

Mach 3 only last me 3, maybe 4, shaves too. Fusion carts (ProGlide Power) lasted me twice as long--sometimes more.

I have retired every DE blade after 5 shaves. This just because I want to try new blades since I'm new to DE. But I think I can get more out of them, as there really wasn't any reason to stop using them, from what I could tell. But I dry off the blade after use, and hand strop them every time, too. I never did anything with the carts. Maybe if I took that kind of care with the carts, they would have lasted longer.

They used to usually last me 2 good shaves and would start to nick and cut during the third. It was this lack of longevity and ever rising costs as well as the uncomfortable shaves in general (though that was likely down to some areas of ATG shaving) that prompted me to look for another way and end up here.

It's been 2-3 years but I used to get about 2 months per cartridge. However, I only shaved once per week back then, so roughly about 8 one pass shaves.
The shaves would get much more harsh and start pulling more hair afterward, so I usually trashed them at that point.
I never heard about multiple passes and to be honest my face was so torn up from one pass, more would have seemed insane to me.

I usually use Fusions on my head shave and DE on my face. But I have been trying a M3 the last 2 weeks. I haven't used a M3 on my head in a few years. So far I have used it for two weeks of almost daily shaves. I think I missed two...maybe one. It's still going. Someone mentioned the lube strip and tossing their cart when the strip wore down. Personally I think that strip is a gimmick and I used to rip it out of my carts before use. I no longer go through the trouble but I pay it no mind. With or without it I don't notice a difference.

I usually use my (and get good shaves) Fusion for a month. 30 shaves. I used to go for 2 months and have gone way past 60 shaves on one cart in years passed.
I stopped using M3's because they didn't last as long. That is why I have been testing them out the last two weeks. The M3 is still kicking after 12-14 shaves so far. But I'm having a hard time hanging on as I don't think it shaves as good as the Fusion. I think I can hit 20 shaves with it. I'm just not sure I want to.

I would typically get about 4 shaves a week for a month. So, about 18+- shaves. Then I dumped the M3s and picked up a DE with some Astra SPs ...
I found this site while using canned goo and M3s. It took me a long time to (1) drop the goo and then (2) toss the M3s. But I did. You will, too, some day.

Last edited:
use mach3 sharpener.

$razor_pit_shaving__92777_zoom.jpg

Before I made the DE switch, I was running an electric on the face and the M3 on my head. I would get two head shaves with the M3, but I was only doing it once a week. They may have lasted longer if I chromed the dome twice a week like I now do with the DE.

Top Bottom