What's new

What's your favourite sausage variety and why?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Local butcher makes a ground mango habanero pork sausage. I’m not usually a huge advocate of fruits in my sausage but this stuff is excellent. Not too sweet and not too hot. Their beer brats and breakfast sausage are pretty tasty too.

It's so difficult to get good sausages here, and I just don't know why. There are some good Aussie butchers here with good quality meats but the sausages are always disappointing. I do have a Muslim missus so pork is not for home consumption (my only concession!) but even other meats are not great.

When we are in France, Merguez are always in the shopping basket, spicy paprika packed lamb parcels of delight, so they work, then back in UK, all the places I have full English at in London have good pork sausages - Star Cafe in Star Alley, DeVine under the arch near The Crescent and Lazio in the Minories...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We had some Bratwurst in Germany that was out of this world. But for the grill I like sweet Italian sausage from my local shop.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
In our (Czech) family butcher shop we made two main varieties for sale: 1/3 beef - 2/3 pork or the flip side 2/3 beef - 1/3 pork. Processing venison and wild hogs allowed us to make some other interesting variations but those were for personal consumption.

I haven't met many sausages that I didn't like. It would be very hard to pick a favorite.

One that I will do today for this week's breakfast meat is a smoked cube of Neese's hot pan sausage. Great flavors and texture.

This thread makes me miss living in Texas. So many great local sausages. I used to have deer processed at different places and most were mixed with pork 50/50 due to the leanness of the venison. There are many Czech and German communities there as well. Let's not forget Chorizo sausage which works great with eggs and a tortilla for a breakfast burrito. For breakfast patties I always preferred Owens Country sausage over Jimmy Dean's but I can't get Owen's in South Dakota.

For fresh sausage, I have a super tasty breakfast sausage recipe that uses sage and it is one of my favourites. It got veto'd out of our yearly sausage making rotation so I make it here and there in small batches for myself.
There is a butcher in the region that makes a very good cabbage roll sausage. So good.

Smoked, I love a good Polish sausage.

I like most sausages. J.C. Potter for breakfast, hot Italian on pizza or pasta, German bratwursts with beer, Andoullie in gumbo, chorizo with green Chile in a breakfast burrito. Not crazy about Vienna sausage from a can.

Smoked Polish is probably my favorite.

But Italian sausage is right up there with it.

Probably eaten more hot link sausage over the last few years than any other though.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Irish bangers or breakfast sausages; white and/or black blood pudding; Portuguese chorico; sweet Italian sausage.

Top Bottom