What's new

What's your best LOOKING finisher?

great thread! so many nice stones!!

here are my favorites - both are excellent from a Botan slurry to finishing w/ water - a Nakayama Kiita Kan (ring grain pattern) and a Takashimi Karasu (crow's feet pattern)

Nakayama Kiita Kan:

$Nakayama Kiita Kan stamped.jpg

Takashimi Karasu:

$Takashima Karasu.jpg

many thanks to Keith/Gamma for parting with these! and these are his original pics too - much appreciate him sending those along with the stones :)

Nashiji means 'Pear Skin' - can indicate a fast cutter. That stone also has Namazu - the squiggly line and the blotch in the corner.
Both are very interesting Koppas.

Thanks for the additional info. The JNAT terminology is proving to be a bit elusive.

I really don't think any stones stand a chance against Japanese Naturals, but here is a family photo of my most interesting looking Coticules. The pictures aren't the best, so they really aren't doing the stones justice :glare:

Dry:
$P1010096.jpg

Wet:
$P1010100.jpg

$P1010101.jpg

This isn't the coolest looking Les Lat I've seen, but they all exude a certain level of cool.

$P1010102.jpg

$P1010105.jpg

Last edited:
My La Verte combo and a Jnat

Attachments

• $IMG_6615_edited-2.jpg
    $IMG_6615_edited-2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 294
  • $IMG_6627_edited-1.jpg
    $IMG_6627_edited-1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 293
Nakayama Maruka Kiita

This is the hardest Nakayama I have seen, it is also super fine, I have tried many Nakayamas before and none comes close to this one.
The added bonus the the kiita, it is considered the highest (grade by color )in Japan, super hard kiitas are not very common, especially Nakayama.

proxy.php

Ohira renge suita
this is not a finisher it is prepolisher and slurry stone for my finishers. This is jam packed with renge, and makes pretty pink slurry.
One of the best looking stones I have and have seen

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It's a Suita Fest!
Although - that Kita is very interesting too..hard-*** Kitas are rare....good ones anyway.

It's a Suita Fest!
Although - that Kita is very interesting too..hard-*** Kitas are rare....good ones anyway.
Not sure if it's mine your are referring to but this one is awesome. It is "fast" and very, very fine finisher. It is the most amazing stone I have used.

Just referring to the Suitas in general. They're all very nice.

The Kita I remarked about was Maniaman's Maruka.

Nakayama Maruka Kiita

This is the hardest Nakayama I have seen, it is also super fine, I have tried many Nakayamas before and none comes close to this one.
The added bonus the the kiita, it is considered the highest (grade by color )in Japan, super hard kiitas are not very common, especially Nakayama.

That is a very impressive specimen.

That is a very impressive specimen.
The finest stone I have seen so far. My hardest ozuko is not as fine as this stone which is softer compared.
So far I have seen only 2 Nakayamas that were truly razor hones, that did not need pastes to get the edge where it needs to be. I tested on a a few blades and from that experience I can say this is the only stone that I have tried that produces edge that does not need stropping. Pretty exciting experience this stone.

Finer in a significant sense - like one full order of magnitude or just a bit finer like say between a 3k and a 5k JIS synth?

Finer in a significant sense - like one full order of magnitude or just a bit finer like say between a 3k and a 5k JIS synth?
I will not say full order of magnitude, as the Ozuko is super fine. The Nakayama is however even finer, as I said the edge does not need stropping to shave with , it feels like stropped edge. Also under magnification it looks a lot smoother than my other stones.

Top Bottom