What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I have four brushes that need to go back on the lathe to fix those little annoying spots I sanded or polished through on edges and corners!!! Good advice here

I’ve definitely done that on turned pieces, its amazing how fast the coat sands thru when the contact area is small.

Finally finished putting the new scales on my ttffcraft 6/8” 1/4 hollow. Still need to hone. My understanding is that James Arman set the bevel with tape, but I will reset without. My first set of wood scales. Overall my thought is that these are easier to work with than horn. Still struggle getting the wedge to fit in perfectly, not matter how tight I peen the wedge still wants to pivot which makes it difficult to sand flush. The scales are butternut, the wedge is bleached camel bone.

F638D40C-67CC-4636-AE19-C9F916AE78F6.jpeg
312E5A62-CD31-4626-86EC-67B4B11BDCDB.jpeg
EDD79E91-143E-432E-BEB6-3531E7A4AD9C.jpeg
910CB021-4758-441F-AD5F-BA3F1E1F678A.jpeg

Finally finished putting the new scales on my ttffcraft 6/8” 1/4 hollow. Still need to hone. My understanding is that James Arman set the bevel with tape, but I will reset without. My first set of wood scales. Overall my thought is that these are easier to work with than horn. Still struggle getting the wedge to fit in perfectly, not matter how tight I peen the wedge still wants to pivot which makes it difficult to sand flush. The scales are butternut, the wedge is bleached camel bone.

View attachment 1323675View attachment 1323677View attachment 1323678View attachment 1323679
I have taken to tacking one side of the wedge with wood glue prior to pinning. Just enough to hold it (I've disassembled one and was able to pop the wedge back off with a utility knife). Depending on the wood the pins don't seem to want to grab tight enough to hold the wedge firmly. I haven't had the same problem with horn.

Trying to keep this thread going!

A novel AJ Jordan, Sheffield blade.
I had a nice surprise with the scales. They had some sort of gold colored coating. I removed most of it, with some left in the grain and grooves. Looked kind of cool, but I just had to see what was under there! It turned out to be some sort of really varying streaked horn, I think. They sure look nicer than they did.

20210922_203725.jpg

20210922_204218.jpg

20210920_231945.jpg

I'm a hack, @Frank Shaves ! I put a piece of tape on the bottom side, mark where I want the inlay and run the top side over the table saw. Then super glue.

I'm bowling ATM and even though it will expose me as the charlatan that I am, I will post a picture when I get home.

Top Bottom