What's new

What's more aggressive than a fatboy

You want more aggression than a Fat Boy on 9 loaded with a feather???? Try a Muhle-Pinsell R89,loaded with one.:wink: And may God have mercy on your soul.:biggrin:

+1 You could ofcourse also get the R41; same razor but even cheaper because of the nickel plating. Same results though. This razor has a love or hate thing about it but it is a great shaving tool and I didn't encounter any DE with a wider blade exposure yet. Rather cheap but a real quality product.

Yes, the gap widens with as the number increases.
Agreed.

The pic on the left shows the blade being less parallel to the skin- this is more aggressive, not less aggressive. The more parallel blade on the right would be achieved with a wider gap.
You feel that Picture A below shows a smaller gap from blade to safety bar (the 'bottom' plate in the picture) than B and that the blade in A is less parallel to the skin compared to B?

View attachment 29166

You feel that Picture A below shows a smaller gap from blade to safety bar (the 'bottom' plate in the picture) than B
No, of course not. The gap is wider in the pic on the left. A wider gap allows the blade to be more parallel to the skin, not less parallel.

and that the blade in A is less parallel to the skin compared to B?
Yes, so did you. You even labeled it as so in your original diagram. But you should have shown razor A having the handle further away from the skin and the blade more parallel, as that's what a wider gap allows- that's what more aggressive is.

... the blade more parallel, as that's what a wider gap allows- that's what more aggressive is.

I'll end with these:

I think the picture below, from Gillette's instructions, shows that the razor on the left set at 7 (more aggressive) has a larger gap and the plane of the blade is less parallel to the skin than the razor on the right set at 3 (less aggressive).
View attachment 29192

I also think, as posted in another thread (http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57292&highlight=aggressive), that the larger gap (below left) allows more of the blade to be exposed, therefore affording a more aggressive shave. This is also from Gillette's instructions.
View attachment 29193

If you mean 'aggressiveness' to be going toe-to-toe with raw, cold, steel, then the FUTUR will do it. Anything above a setting of '3' and it becomes a dermatome to do split thickness skin grafts with. My 39c slanthammer gives a very close BBS shave but it is less 'aggressive'. It doesn't matter what razor I use...if I get a BBS shave, it's always the same amount of time before stubble starts to show.

Top Bottom