What's new

What's In Your Inventory - Expendables

I’ve essentially quit buying expendables. I have a 10-year supply of blades, enough lathering products that I’m worried about some of the creams going bad before I get to use them, and aftershaves are filling my night stand. Fortunately for my wallet I only use vintage and low priced mainstream products, nothing artisan.

Let’s see- somewhere around 650 blades. Seven full size lathering creams and about as many soaps (mostly VDH luxury) plus a couple of brushless creams that don’t get used much. Nine summer aftershave splashes and a dozen winter ones in eight different scents plus five all season ones and three balms. Two daily use razors and two that don’t get used often, with no desire to get more. I would be able to do a sabbatical with no stress, but I’ve gotten in the habit of using and restoring vintage brushes and you have to get a vintage handle that you like when it’s available because when it’s gone, it’s gone.

Okay .....

About 800 blades
6 Oils
28 Soaps
16 Splashes
8 Balms

Not as bad as I thought. Ran out of space in my cabinet, so I’m on a Black Friday to Black Friday sabbatical of my own (I’ve thought about starting a BF-BF Sabbattical thread). I do replace favorites when they run out ..... and buy limited edition items from favorite artisans. I’ll likely cull the losers in November to make room for new stuff.

I'm in the 2020 sabbatical and successfully completed the 2018 and 2019 sabbaticals with no restocks. I'm working my way toward a more minimal supply of consumables.

- about 460 blades (9-10 years worth)
- 14 aftershaves (3-4 years worth?)
- 4 soaps (+/- 2 years worth)

I like everything I have, there are no losers in the bunch but I do find that I've been using my least favorite of the lot first and occasionally sprinkle in uses of the top favorites as I go along.

Enough for several years. It was getting out of hand, so doing the 2020 sabbatical to use up some stuff. Still doing trades and PIFs for fun, though.

500+ blades
20 soaps & creams + a few samples
10 aftershave splashes & balms
3 Dickinson's witch hazel 16 oz
1 Roberts rose water 300ml
1 Duru limon kolonya 400ml
1 Jojoba oil 4 oz
1 Alum stick

I've been wet shaving around 3 years. Things add up in a hurry:
240 blades
19 soaps and creams
11 aftershaves
2 alum sticks
1 preshave oil

Do I qualify as a minimalist?? :a29:
giggle.gif

Heres what my den includes as of this afternoon, Blades in total are around 1000 (24 different types) Additional cares is items like Balms, With Hazel, alum, etc. The Lathers include soaps and cremes. The App is Shaving Buddy and works great for cataloging your collection and your shaves.
Screenshot_2020-01-11-14-35-05.png

1 Van der Hagen razor (Short handle)
242 Astra SP Blades
231 Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades (soon to be PIF'd)

1 Cremo horsehair brush
27 pucks of Williams Mug Soap

I'm on a 10-year 2020s single setup restraint.

I like this!!

"10-year 2020s single setup restraint"

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Heres what my den includes as of this afternoon, Blades in total are around 1000 (24 different types) Additional cares is items like Balms, With Hazel, alum, etc. The Lathers include soaps and cremes. The App is Shaving Buddy and works great for cataloging your collection and your shaves.
View attachment 1051731

...app? There’s an app for this?

(checks the App Store)

(iPhone enforces capitalization of the phrase App Store no matter how I feel about that)

Well I’ll be damned. Somebody actually wrote a shave tracker. You just never know what people are going to come up with. I suppose now I’ll have to give this thing a try and see how long I use it before I get sick of tracking my shaves, much like I get sick of tracking my food intake when I’m trying to lose weight. But what the heck, I’m a middle aged guy. I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I did get a thousand-pack of Dorco Prime blades ... They are a fine baseline blade to measure others against. That's 13.7 years right there, at six shaves per blade.

But I got hundred packs of most of the other major brands, so.

I stopped collecting vintage Avon when I had triplicates ... of about everything...

And I don't want to talk about soaps. o_O It would be embarrassing, even here, and that's saying something.

Lifetime supply, and that's even if they do a "Ted Williams" on me.

AA

I have what I consider to be too much soap and aftershave, although not nearly as much as some here. I don’t do backups though, never seen the point and I know I’ll never get to them with the rate it takes me to get through products. My goal is to not buy any software this year, I’ll trade for things but I’m trying to pare down to a handful of producers (at least for soaps).
I’ve never made any 100-blade purchases, but I am wishing I’d bought more Polsilvers and Gillette Platinums from the guy on Reddit when he had them..

Top Bottom