What's new

What's for dinner? February/March 2010

Chole batura from a local dive.
With a side of whipped yogurt & pickled carrots.

proxy.php

Last night I had chicken breast with a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce with buttered green beans and rice.

Tonight I will have farfalle with a cream and sausage sauce and a salad with a sour cream dressing.

After this I will probably have to cut out the heavy cream for a few weeks to make up for all of this.

Tonight - homemade eggplant lasagna with a side of roasted veggies - portobello, zucchini, red & yellow peppers, asparagus all drizzled with extra virgin & coarse kosher salt. Sicilian cannoli for dessert.

Good Lord, that sounds incredible.

Tonight: beans and greens (sauteed onion, garlic, baby spinach, Great Northern Beans, and diced tomatoes with basil, thyme, and fresh ground black pepper) served over farfalle pasta and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It was a kinda cleanup leftover day here. With just my wife and myself the extra bits I put away do build up. This night we had left over spaghetti and garlic bread, some cheesy macaroni, a Turkish chick pea thing, and some garlic mashed potato.

Went easy today, penne, pesto, capers, olives, tossed in some roasted garlic and spinach left over from last night, and ate it with left over garlic bread. I need to get off this Itilian kick and back on to thai, southwestern and suthern food before it gets too hot to fire up the oven.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Jim, you sure know how to eat. :thumbup1:

With no electricity since Saturday, my meals have been rather simple:

Breakfast- grilled rib steak
Lunch- two grilled rib steaks
Dinner- three grilled rib steaks

Freezer's almost empty. :001_smile
Side of baked potatoes, cooked in the fireplace, which has been running non-stop. Anyone spare some wood? :lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well it was a pizza night for my wife and I. When we do pizza it is from stuff we have in the fridge. Personally I find peppers, mushrooms, onions, wonderful things to have on hand. We use them at so many meals. Great in omelets, with pasta, soup, with a steak. . .

Someone asked once how to make pizza come out round. For me just set the chunk of dough down and use your fingertips to press it into a round shape. (don't re-role the dough into a ball . . . it gets all tight and does not co-operate).

On went the sauce (leftover spaghetti sauce . . with only my wife and I we only use a third of a can when we have spaghetti so the rest gets stored for use in whatever gets cooked the next few days) . . . not too thick, followed by thin slices of red pepper, some onion, mushrooms. I like a little Parmesan and a little extra oregano. The other cheese I had hanging around was some frutlano . . .so on that goes. Last . . . I like my pepperoni a bit crisp so that went on top on my side.

I used to cook pizza at 500 F but somewhere here in the middle of all this you will see the appearance of some parchment paper. For me this makes things so much easier than using cornmeal . . . so remembering the novel Fahrenheit 451 I did set the oven at 450 F

As you can see from the last photo. . . the quality control guy arrived at some point looking for a bribe.

So nothing fancy. It was a very nice meal. In the summer it will have tomatoes and basil from my own garden.

Mike

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
proxy.php

Beef Tenderloin done with a reverse sear in the oven.
Baked potato and asparagus :thumbup1:.

I don't know why that blade is calling my name. It just seems to be so well proportioned to what I cook. Long enough to slice a fair sized roast beef or ham . . . a bit of a surface to life sliced veg into a pan . . . not a fussy polished thing but sharp as heck . . . wonderful character.

Are you finding the reverse sear of benefit? And here I will admit if I'm doing anything larger than a tenderloin I've always mostly braised it . . . kinda a never fail thing.

I don't know why that blade is calling my name. It just seems to be so well proportioned to what I cook. Long enough to slice a fair sized roast beef or ham . . . a bit of a surface to life sliced veg into a pan . . . not a fussy polished thing but sharp as heck . . . wonderful character.

Are you finding the reverse sear of benefit? And here I will admit if I'm doing anything larger than a tenderloin I've always mostly braised it . . . kinda a never fail thing.

I was always intrigued by the idea, Cooks did a show recently where they reverse seared on top of the stove. I did this a few weeks ago with fantastic results. But... it makes a hell of a mess. I thought I might be able to accomplish the same thing in the oven. It worked very well. I started at 275 until I reached 130 internal then cranked up the oven to 500. It was only a few more minuets until I reached 145 and pulled it. I would be cautious of carryover if it was a larger piece of meat.

The knife is by Takeda and is very good for pull slicing meats but also can do general chef knife type cutting, its too flexable and fine for chopping.

Top Bottom