What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Baked SPAM, thickly sliced, dehydrated mashed potatoes and tinned marrowfat peas (an English delicacy, try them) with mustard and ketchup. Oh, and a Mrs. Elswood pickle for a side.

A WW2 tribute dinner to the greatest generation.

Actually delicious, especially after a couple of beers. Comfort food par excellence.

Last edited:
Just took one step closer to normalcy when I ventured into NYC to spend the day with my middle daughter. We both took the Metro North coming from different parts of CT and met up at Grand Central Station.

20220118_094131.jpg

First stop was Zucker's Bagels and Smoked Fish for some bagels and schmear -

20220118_093616.jpg

Mine was the everything bagel with lox spread -

20220118_091121.jpg

Then we were off to the Central Park Zoo followed by the highlight of the day, a late lunch/very early dinner at Gallagher's Steakhouse.

20220118_143038.jpg

We started off with a delicious pork belly appetizer -

20220118_145221.jpg

Followed by two 10-oz filet mignon steaks with sides of onion rings and garlic mash potatoes -

20220118_151143.jpg

20220118_151518.jpg

20220118_151211.jpg

This dining experience was shear heaven, as suggested by the broad smiles on our faces after dinner -
20220118_152458.jpg

I am hard pressed to choose another city in the U.S. where the food is finer than what one can experience in NYC.

Tim

Tonight was a home cooked meal where I finished off some trimmed bits of beef chuck roast to make beef bourguignon. It came out looking and tasting fantastic -

20220120_173616.jpg

20220120_173622.jpg

Unfortunately, I realized after the fact that I totally forgot to put the bacon in it. :c3:

Oh well, I guess that just gives me an excuse to make it again.

Tim

P.S. - The 2019 Mirassou Pinot Noir was only $8.99 a bottle and was an excellent choice for both the bourguignon sauce and the wine glass.

Last night was panko breaded pork cutlets cooked in the air fryer on a hamburger bun with onion, pickle, tomato and horseradish sauce. Fries on the side.
I have never used panko breadcrumbs on pork cutlets. I will definitely have to try that next time around. I imagine it makes for a real nicely browned and crusty topping on the cutlets.

Tim

I have never used panko breadcrumbs on pork cutlets. I will definitely have to try that next time around. I imagine it makes for a real nicely browned and crusty topping on the cutlets.

Tim
Yes they work really well giving a great crust. Almost like oil fried without the grease.

Last night to a Japanese place, it does various skewers (including "yakitori" which is chicken and leeks) and it has a teppanyaki counter, so we had a few skewers plus a lump of steak from the teppanyaki, and some fried rice. Plus a brace of cold sake flasks. Next time we will dress down and sit at the counter.

Made this dinner while spending a few days in Saranac Lake with my daughter. This was a thrown together totally unhealthy meal of kielbasa with onions and mushrooms that pan fried using cilantro & roasted onion olive oil. Paired this with two of my daughter's favorite sides - garlic mashed potatoes from a box and Kraft mac-n-cheese.

20220125_183429.jpg

Let's just say my stomach did not appreciate this dinner, which made for a long night. :crying:

Tim

Still at my temporary apartment. Furnished kitchen is well equipped but is limited by not having a pantry. I noticed some grills the other day and checked them out. Very high quality AOG commercial grills, clean and well maintained. I picked up a couple of tiny beef tenderloin steaks and a bag of tossed salad. The mushrooms were passed along to me along with a very serviceable Cabernet Sauvignon.
867E91DA-F4A8-4493-B24C-1E22A1A79AA0.jpeg
2429DC99-4750-4A7B-9B15-0DD86BD3CE75.jpeg
It’s difficult to cook out of your comfort zone but things came together nicely for medium rare steaks, mushrooms in a red wine reduction and tossed salad.

Today I'll do a batch of traditional Viennese Potato Goulash, as many recipes here the legacy of the Imperial Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons Lard
1 large Onion chopped - today I had red ones but usally I use a yellow one
2 garlic toes chopped
1 tablespoon Majoram
1 teaspon whole Caraway
1 tablespoon tomato paste
5 tablespoons mild Paprika powder
2 Bay leaves
5 whole black Peppercorns
2 tablespoons vinegar - preferable Apple cider vinegar
1.5 quarts Beef broth
2 pounds small firm potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound smoked summer sausage sliced 0.25 inch thick - I used the last of my wild boar sausage

Heat lard, brown Onions and Garlic for 2-3 min on medium heat then add Majoram and Caraway and stir for a minute.
Take from the stove add the spices and Tomato paste and mix well.
Put back, stir and deglaze with Vinegar
add Broth and Potatoes and let simmer for 30min on low heat
finally add sausage and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes on low heat

Let cool and reheat in the evening or even the next day to enhance the flavours.

Goes well with Rye sourdough bread and a dab of sourcream on the side.

Ingredients
1.jpg

chop chop
2.jpg

ready

3.jpg

brown Onions, Garlic and add Majoram and Caraway
4.jpg

off the stove - add spices and tomato paste
5.jpg

add Vinegar, Broth and Potaoes
6.jpg