What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Nice eggplant Derek and thanks BT.

Saturday night, toast & extra old cheddar cheese sandwich... no pictures...

Fresh start tonight, Buffalo Ribs based on a Steven Raichlen recipe, used his rub and sauce for the ribs and his gorgonzola dip recipe for celery dipping. The ribs, i wanted to try a Weber snake cook, 75 briquettes in a 'three' pile with a few chunks of hickory for smoke. Three & half hours for the initial smoke/cook basting a couple times with a butter/hot sauce mix, wrapped in foil with more sauce and some cider vinegar - one hour cook, unwrapped, more sauce basting, cooked another half hour. Maintained a 250F temp throughout and the last of the briquettes were just starting to ash. Used eight briquettes to ignite the snake.

Finally local corn at the market, our first, barely cooked/steamed, heated through, topped with butter salt and pepper.

Garden kale, portabella carbonara for another side. Smoked the portabellas briefly before slicing and finishing them with the kale.

House red...

Garden rhubarb, market blackberries in a wife made pie, Greek yogurt topped.

Music - Steve Cropper, Dedicated

file6-12.jpeg
file3-26.jpeg
file1-32.jpeg
file5-18.jpeg
file2-27.jpeg
file-45.jpeg
file8-7.jpeg
file7-10.jpeg

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice eggplant Derek and thanks BT.

Saturday night, toast & extra old cheddar cheese sandwich... no pictures...

Fresh start tonight, Buffalo Ribs based on a Steven Raichlen recipe, used his rub and sauce for the ribs and his gorgonzola dip recipe for celery dipping. The ribs, i wanted to try a Weber snake cook, 75 briquettes in a 'three' pile with a few chunks of hickory for smoke. Three & half hours for the initial smoke/cook basting a couple times with a butter/hot sauce mix, wrapped in foil with more sauce and some cider vinegar - one hour cook, unwrapped, more sauce basting, cooked another half hour. Maintained a 250F temp throughout and the last of the briquettes were just starting to ash. Used eight briquettes to ignite the snake.

Finally local corn at the market, our first, barely cooked/steamed, heated through, topped with butter salt and pepper.

Garden kale, portabella carbonara for another side. Smoked the portabellas briefly before slicing and finishing them with the kale.

House red...

Garden rhubarb, market blackberries in a wife made pie, Greek yogurt topped.

Music - Steve Cropper, Dedicated

View attachment 1003176 View attachment 1003177 View attachment 1003178 View attachment 1003180 View attachment 1003181 View attachment 1003182 View attachment 1003183 View attachment 1003185
dave

:ouch1:

Thanks Dave. Ribs look tasty.

Irish scallop pie tonight.
proxy.php

:ouch1:

The Late, Great Paul Prudhomme is always going to be one of my favorite top tier Chefs; the man was a legend. And seeing as how I scored some genuine Louisiana tasso...tonight is Jambalaya night.
Recipe attached. But today’s version will substitute shrimp for chicken and homade shrimp stock for chicken stock.
It’s Jambalaya; you can do that sort of thing.

INGREDIENTS
Seasoning mix:
  • 2 whole bay leaves
  • 2 teaspoons ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 pound chopped tasso (preferred) or other smoked ham (preferably Cure 81), about 2 cups
  • 3/4 pound boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces, about 2 cups
  • 1 cup chopped onions, in all
  • 1 cup chopped celery, in all
  • 1 cup chopped green bell peppers, in all
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
  • 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
PREPARATION
  1. Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the tasso and cook until meat starts to brown, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken and continue cooking until chicken is brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping pan bottom well. Stir in the seasoning mix and 1/2 cup each of the onions, celery, and bell peppers and the garlic. Cook until vegetables start to get tender, about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring fairly constantly and scraping pan bottom as needed. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook about 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup each of the onions, celery, and bell peppers and the tomatoes. Remove from heat. Stir in the stock and rice, mixing well. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 8x8-inch baking pan. Bake uncovered in a 350° oven until rice is tender but still a bit crunchy, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Stir well and remove bay leaves Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
  3. To serve, mold rice in an 8-ounce cup and place 2 cups on each serving plate for a main course or 1 cup for an appetizer.
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen

Tuna and anchovies from Italy, olives from Greece, eggs and potatoes from local farms, arugula, lettuce, radishes, filet beans and tomatoes from the yard... Niçoise Salad with a Balsamic vinaigrette.

file1-33.jpeg

dave

Yesterday no power for almost 11 hours, no way were we opening the fridge or freezer not knowing when power would return and number of stated deadlines passed, would a major mass cooking be in our immediate future. Assembling lunch from the cupboard, taking pictures and the power back on... for 15 minutes, freezer was 2C colder, fridge hadn't changed (still hadn't opened, wifi sensors). We lost nothing, fridge and freezer held, wasn't too too hot a day.

Lunch - sardines and tuna, Finn Crisps & Triscuits... dinner already arranged evening at friends

IMG_E5999.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

Today, a return to normal, Grilled Skirt Steak Hoagies. Steak, fat onion slices & Hot Portugal peppers 24 hours in a balsamic marinate, grilled on the kettle. With arugula & Balsamic Glaze on whole wheat rolls.

Beverage - Beau's Brewing Co., Lug Tread Lagered Ale

Dessert - Buttermilk blackberry, peach cake with real vanilla ice cream.

Music - David Bowie, Heroes
Music - Uncut 2019 08, Frontier Sounds

file1-36.jpeg
file-49.jpeg
IMG_E6045.JPG
IMG_E6046.JPG
file3-28.jpeg
file5-20.jpeg
IMG_E6049.JPG

dave

Went to the store to get a chuck roast to smoke, but they were on sale and sold out.
So i grabbed this for tomorrow night dinner on the smoker
proxy.php

Prob go back on Wednesday for the chuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Went to the store to get a chuck roast to smoke, but they were on sale and sold out.
So i grabbed this for tomorrow night dinner on the smoker
proxy.php

Prob go back on Wednesday for the chuck.

They took the fat off the cap. :(

And we are off, smoker running, grabbed an older bottle of wine, smells wonderful as i am typing this. Hopefully it comes out good.
proxy.php
proxy.php

No pics, but:

Sous Vide Sirloin Tips

Over

Arugula
Blueberries
Fried Shallots
Cherry Tomatoes
A brie like goat cheese
Balsalmic Dressing

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been on the road abs haven't looked at the stickies much. Wow, y'all do some great stuff!

Tonight was homemade fettuccine with butter, Saint Agur, Parmigiano Reggiano, black pepper, and arugula from the garden.

20190806_201111.jpg

Nice and peppery!

Top Bottom