What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

You are a very cruel person!!
And I mean that in a positive manner

Thanks Marty! Chicken noodle/pasta soup is always good for what ails you... much needed this time of year.

Was suppose to be ribeye for two but our daughter decided she needed to hang around with the old folks.

Double baked potato with broccoli extra old cheddar (Croc) filling. Frozen vegetable time of year so edamame succotash, cooked in a few tablespoons of vermouth and whipping cream.

The steak was generously salted and air dried in the fridge for 48 hours then oven roasted at 250F for ~50min, 125F internally on the probe, seared under a chimney with too-small-chunks-of-lump that kept falling onto the steak... Olive oil, fresh ground pepper and Maldon to finish. All were good with the doneness of this one, sometimes i hear about it being a bit/lot under.

IMG_E2558.JPG
IMG_E2562.JPG
IMG_E2563.JPG
IMG_E2564.JPG
IMG_E2565.JPG
IMG_E2566.JPG

dave

Last night's offering: braised chicken with cardamom and paprika, and garlicky mashed potatoes.IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3116.JPG IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3119.JPG

So, brown off the chicken legs in oil and butter, set aside. Let the pan cool a bit then sweat off onions, carrot and garlic. If you had celery that works as well. I didn't have any...but I did have some Rose de Provence and by the looks of it, I needed a top up by then. Shot 4 shows how many cardamom pods you need - when I first read the recipe I thought shome mishtake Shirley, and did not use as much as it said. Trust me, be bold and give it some. A good teaspoon of paprika and a half one of smoked paprika, then a glass of red and chicken stock, put the chicken back in, cover and simmer for 30-or so mins.

For mash, I had read Robuchon's method and simmered the pots with a couple of cloves of garlic until tender, then drained then and placed on a baking sheet in a warm oven for about 5 mins to dry them out. I put a serious amount of unsalted French butter in with salt and white pepper, gave them a smash, and then added another load of butter - your arteries will love you for it.

Just before it was ready, I added some frozen peas for a bit of greenery, then served with the rest of the red.

Whoa, I read the first few pages and the last on this thread. That's enough to make me see what's cooking in the middle. +Rep to everyone; such skills!!

As for me, I don't have a pic yet, but I made a cranberry sauce and added rum, orange juice, honey and spices and reduced over the flames. This will glaze the tukey drumsticks and thighs during the final few minutes on the kettle grill. I haven't worked with cranberries before and found that it was hard to balance the overall flavor sweet and heat. I think it's because fresh cranberries arent very sweet (more sour/tart)

Salt?? What an I missing? Next year I'm going back to mango habanero....more predictable!

Last edited:
Alright, so I've read up on this thread here for a while now.

Ive always fancied myself as a great cook. But now I'm thinking I may want to recalibrate that assessment. It's like that scene from American Psycho when Christian Bale notices his colleagues carry finer business cards, lol.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
So all of my wife’s side of the family is coming over today so I am preparing the meal. Doing it today cuz we are traveling to Houston for her post surgery follow up. It’s on the 26th which is my Father’s 81st birthday so we are taking them.
The only thing missing is the rice and taters and green beans. They do no eat much in the way of veggies. I’m not much for starches. Makes for interesting meals.
Here goes:

94E95304-F9F0-4C57-902A-FB15A1885B45.jpeg

The Turkey
5577D82D-CFDD-4A1F-8E17-8C96C8836DA8.jpeg

Brisket
6AAEE749-BB0A-4716-8E92-61039396C19D.jpeg

4lbs of pintos (couple hours to go)
098B4268-BFEF-4735-930F-C5B3C140C359.jpeg

Grandmother’s Cole Slaw
So simple and yet so good

So all of my wife’s side of the family is coming over today so I am preparing the meal. Doing it today cuz we are traveling to Houston for her post surgery follow up. It’s on the 26th which is my Father’s 81st birthday so we are taking them.
The only thing missing is the rice and taters and green beans. They do no eat much in the way of veggies. I’m not much for starches. Makes for interesting meals.
Here goes:

View attachment 937695
The Turkey
View attachment 937696
Brisket
View attachment 937697
4lbs of pintos (couple hours to go)
View attachment 937698
Grandmother’s Cole Slaw
So simple and yet so good

Looks good enough to EAT!

A little on the pedestrian side, and admittedly I didn't smoke this salmon but still, here is the breakfast. We paired with coffee from the moka pot.
20181224_102817.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I love that!!
I had pretty much the same thing at the JW Marriott Hill Country Spa and Resort Yesterday morning.
Prepared at home is always better.

Rain is on it's way. So I have a crock pot with a meaty ham bone simmering away. Just need to make some cornbread. Might pick some arugula and lemons to make a salad if I'm in a mood for that?

Need to boil some beets for beet and feta salad to bring to the inlaws tomorrow.

Top Bottom