What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

Fresh linguini and clam sauce.

IMG_1053.JPG

Tom

Christmas Eve i get no say or admittance to the kitchen as i won't stick with tradition...

Wife and daughter's, stuffed chicken roasted with chunks of Yukon Golds, carrots, parsnips and rutabagashe . Roasted Brussels Sprouts with onion and bacon, potato galette filed with scallions and Boursin cheese.

Dessert finally cut into the fruitcake i baked in November, spritzing with Brandy over that time had the weight up 30g, last night my wife made a pan of shortbread so we cut into that as well.

file-10.jpeg
file2-2.jpeg
file4-1.jpeg

dave

Last edited:
Mushrooms reducing.. First two drums off the grill - failure. Shrunk up but the flavor and crispiness turned out nicely at least.
20181224_182237.jpg
20181224_211033.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Christmas Eve i get no say or admittance to the kitchen as i won't stick with tradition...

Wife and daughter's, stuffed chicken roasted with chunks of Yukon Golds, carrots, parsnips and rutabagashe . Roasted Brussels Sprouts with onion and bacon, potato galette filed with scallions and Boursin cheese.

Dessert finally cut into the fruitcake i baked in November, spritzing with Brandy over that time had the weight up 30g, last night my wife made a pan of shortbread so we cut into that as well.

View attachment 937836 View attachment 937837 View attachment 937838
dave
Some times tradition has its rewards.

My wife's on Christmas holidays and itching to cook... to satisfy my need for new & different dishes all the time, something new, chicken dumpling soup with bacon and egg. A couple chicken carcasses, some chicken feet and aromatics cooked for stock... chase the chill away, worked.

IMG_E2630.JPG
IMG_E2636.JPG
IMG_E2634 (2).JPG
IMG_E2635.JPG

dave

IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3133.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3130.JPG
Chicken Normandie, or some such variant on the spelling. In no particular order, brown off chicken and set aside. Sweat off the onions and then add some sliced mushrooms and a finely chopped clove of garlic. Take an apple, and cut two slices (or indeed as many as you need) then finely chop what's left. Chuck that into the pan as well. After a bit, sprinkle in some flour, stir through to cook it out then add 90% of a bottle of cider. Keep the last splash for the denouement of the dish...

Put the chicken back in, add enough chicken stock so it braises nicely, season and cover. Have a glass of wine.

I found some sprouts left over from the 25th so halved and roasted with salt, pepper and chili flakes. When ready, drizzle with Balsamic vinegar.

Now, the missus was watching a programme on Youtube which featured a chef who had worked in the Royal Palaces and he demonstrated a dish which included HMQ's preferred cauliflower cheese: basically cook the florets, make a Mornay sauce, dry the individual florets in a tea towel, nappe them with the sauce, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and grill. A bit of faffing around but the presentation looks OK.

No picture exists, but there were the Robuchon style mashed spuds - mash the potatoes with lots of butter, season with salt and white pepper, then add a lot more butter.

Back to the chicken, and turn up the heat a bit to thicken the sauce. Splash the remaining cider in - this refreshes the flavour - and a spoonful of cream. Check the seasoning, have another glass of wine and announce dinner is almost ready.

Finally, saute the apple slices for the cheffy effect and plate up.

A bottle of 2015 Chianti Classico worked quite nicely with the dinner, and a bottle of Rose de Provence helped with the cooking.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A few things for the coming days: a fresh loaf of rye, a batch of almond biscotti, and some black-eyed peas.

20181229_150405.jpg
20181230_183608.jpg
20181229_183404.jpg

So nice Marty and Doak, Texas is always happening!

Screwy start to the day, turned the oven on to bake some russet potatoes for tonight's meal and New Years day brunch, came back after a suitable preheat time and the oven's dead, crucial tool for tonight's plans and New Years Eve gathering, in my mind just a typical December scenario shaping up, status quo... Long story short - oven fuse, been abusing the stove/oven since Dec. 1989, the power outlet out front went years ago, recently replaced the fuse that as far as i can tell was only for the oven light and today the oven fuse went, pretty decent record. Went and bought some 30A fuses...

Tonight, reprise of last weekend as i need roast beef for one of tomorrow night's bruschettas. My main supplier of veg at the market had boxes of marble sized Brussels Sprouts for a dollar so got one of those try a colcanonish twice baked potato. Tweaked what i had tried with the succotash to good effect.

Blade roast/steak slow and lo reverse sear under a Weber chimney, 2.3lb (rest of the world, just over a kilo) roast, 2hrs 45min in a 250F oven to hit 124F internal temp. Too raw for my wife but my daughter and i ripped in...

file4-2.jpeg
file2-4.jpeg
file-12.jpeg
file1-8.jpeg
file3-2.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to pick up some kielbasa, sauerkraut, and a six of Guinness (one for the dish) for tomorrow.

The end of 2018, last food orgy...

Good number of untested recipes to flummox host and the unsuspecting...

The new... whisky olives - gone in a blink, Onion Dip Chips, 30 sec scratch mayo/aioli, roasted pepper hummus, 'Mortadella Moments', Blackberry/brie/honey bruschettas, steak canapés with the above pictured blade cook.

Charcuterie board, cheese board, multiple crudites, dips, pickled veggies, nuts, crackers breads, FRUITCAKE, more i can't recall, music, beverages - worked.

file-13.jpeg
file4-3.jpeg
file3-3.jpeg
file2-5.jpeg
file5.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom