What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Our first time making tamales. I was on husk drying and pork shoulder fill and fold duty. This is just prior to covering and steaming. We probably have 20 minutes left. Why are tamales not cheap? Because they are a lot of work.

DC6A489D-3E33-4A3E-A1EA-6D3DBC27EBB6.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There is one husk with just masa in there. My granddaughter was given a husk and some masa to keep her busy.

I didn’t get pics but the wife got me a traegger smoker for Xmas. So today in -10 windchills I smoked up 3 slabs of back ribs and 2 whole chickens using apple wood pellets. I had a wood fired smoker for years till it literally fell apart and gotta say this is much easier. It lights with the flip of a switch, set the temp and walk away. I just need a Wi-Fi thermometer so I don’t have to go out till it’s done.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Our first time making tamales. I was on husk drying and pork shoulder fill and fold duty. This is just prior to covering and steaming. We probably have 20 minutes left. Why are tamales not cheap? Because they are a lot of work.

View attachment 849074

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Aunt in Uvalde used to make them with a Mexican lady friend of hers when I was a kid. My Aunt didn't speak much Spanish and the Mexican lady didn't speak much English, but they understood each other.

Took them all day to make them.

Congrats. on your initiation. Well done! :biggrin1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Aunt in Uvalde used to make them with a Mexican lady friend of hers when I was a kid. My Aunt didn't speak much Spanish and the Mexican lady didn't speak much English, but they understood each other.

Took them all day to make them.

Congrats. on your initiation. Well done! :biggrin1:
Thanks. Food is a universal language :)

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
To start the New Year...
Seed & Cheese Crusted Salmon with Santa Fe Brown Rice, Salad with Blue Cheese & Honey Roasted Pecans, and fresh chunks of Watermelon & Pineapple.

IMG_5362.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
About 20% of them (first batch). Next batch will have more chili in the meat.

81E8684E-05AC-4F71-A271-B8558CB74D11.jpeg

View attachment 849074

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tamales fall into 3 categories- bad, good, and unbelievable. Bad usually means dry masa and meat, or masa that was spread too thickly. Good means the masa is not too thick, kind of moist, and the meat is still juicy. Unbelievable is all that, plus something else that you can’t quite define. The verdict on our first attempt- a solid good. I think we needed more chili in the masa and meat, but overall we made some good tamales. Pretty decent for the first time. Yes, bad on me for not taking pics.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That is colourful and I'm sure it is tasty Connie. I'm not a fish lover but Salmon has always been a bit of an exception.

Intrigued

That is colourful and I'm sure it is tasty Connie. I'm not a fish lover but Salmon has always been a bit of an exception.

I'm not a hugh fish fan myself, but it's one of my New Years resolutions to eat fish more often.
proxy.php

... and the seed crusted salmon recipe is actually a near perfect way to cook salmon.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm not a hugh fish fan myself, but it's one of my New Years resolutions to eat fish more often.
proxy.php

... and the seed crusted salmon recipe is actually a near perfect way to cook salmon.
I love salmon and eat it 2 to 3 times a week. My favorite, simple way of eating it is to encrust it with ground coriander seed, tarragon and salt & pepper. Broil in oven skin side down for 6 to 8 minutes (depending on how thick the flesh is). Turn over and broil for another two minutes, then pull off skin with tongs.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
9DDA3518-AB22-4A7D-954B-CF2636C93521.jpeg
CB211C80-3EC4-4EEC-94B6-5D0B524B72B5.jpeg
Family over last few days. Forgot to take a pic of the carne guisada but I snapped a pic of the rice and enchiladas. I prepared 3 trays of enchiladas and 4 cups of rice! A total of 58 beef and cheese enchiladas with homemade sauce!
Refried beans too.

Pan seared Cobia with a white wine lemon caper sauce, lemon pepper broccoli, and Caribbean rice (would have been better with a mushroom risotto)

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter experiment, minus 16C, dark and really no idea what i was doing. Watched a youtube video on the best searing method and their favourite, after sous vide(ing) all the steaks was a grill atop a chimney... No sous vide so used a low oven to roast then followed on the chimney. Much fine tuning necessary, also a hash made up of yukon golds, onions, mixed wild mushrooms, brussels sprouts apple and ground caraway, another new effirt in need of fine tuning, just followed the recipe. Both tasted great but it can be done better.

Started with a piece of blade, fat steak or skinny roast, a little under 2lbs., was 46F when put into a 250F oven, guesstimating 1h 15m, 1h20m to hit 130F. Based on the guess, fired up a chimney of lump charcoal, a glorious chimney of coals after 25min, blazing hot atop the grill, problem was the oven roasting took another half hour to hit the mark of 130F, still a good glow but nowhere near the heat i was after.

Couple questions here, advantages to the reverse sear? Could/should i have pulled the roast when my fire was perfect, seared, then back into the oven until i hit my mark? Sear first when it's still daylight then into the low oven? The goal of this experiment was to get the sear of my life, failed.

At least I now have a base line for next time.

Following the recipe, the hash was built from the potatoes on, each addition made when the earlier had cooked resulting in way overcooked potatoes to my way of thinking, next time, build it individually so everything is ideal. It still tasted really good and will get repeated sometime down the line. Dress it up hide it with a toss of parsley.

House wine, our red per usual.

Dessert- still very much enjoying our Christmas fruit cake, has really blossomed into a worthy recipe to keep repeating and playing with. (Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake) See if we can't find and dry more of our own fruit for next year's version.

Music - Patti Smith, Banga - plus... Wes Montgomery, The Verve Sides

file-3 (2).jpeg
file3-1 (2).jpeg
file1-1 (2).jpeg
file2-1 (2).jpeg
file4-1 (2).jpeg
file5-1 (2).jpeg
file6 (2).jpeg

Just put a hot pot of beef stock into a backyard snowbank, won't be hot for long, minus 18c outside now.
dave

Intrigued

Looks great, Dave!

When reverse searing a roast, you can pull the roast from the oven when it hits your target temp, tent it in foil for 1/2hr to an hour, then sear it. That resting time before the sear should give you enough to get your fire going and prepare/finish your side dishes.

Thank you very much Connie for the kind words and your advice! So much to learn!

Happy New Years!
dave

Another take on Fingerling Potato Pork Belly Soup from the Soup & Bread Cookbook by Beatrice Ojakangas. I don't think we've had a dud from this one yet, simple and so tasty soups with a unique bread for each.

file-3.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom