What's new

What's Cooking 2018?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 874849 I have no choice but to take naps. I can’t stay awake. I used to hate them, like Owen - now I welcome the recharge.

I had my chemo treatment yesterday afternoon. Sadly a lot of people get sick. For me, I get so hungry. Didn’t have the energy so treated myself to a half of a bison patty melt. A very small chain down here in Florida with lots of potential. Excellent burgers.
Every time I want to cut carbs in my life, I see a nice piece of rye bread :lol:

Our daughter's been away most of the week so had a good chunk of roast chicken left over. Shredded the meat, fried up some onion and garlic, added the chicken, some ground cumin, chipotles and what was left in a jar of salsa. Cabbage/carrot slaw with a rice vinegar dressing, diced avocado/diced cherry tomatoes/sliced scallion/cilantro salad, julienned radish, Dubliner cheddar and toasted corn tortillas...

Pelee Island... repeat, repeat, repeat...

Dessert - Raspberry/Rhubarb Pie with Greek yogurt, daughter's currently basking in Greece... better bring home some olives...

Music - True Blue, 75 Years of Blue Note Records, disc #3

file1-3.jpeg
file-6.jpeg

dave

First crack at the dough recipe from "Pizza Camp", tasty and chewy results.

More or less the Stromboli recipe from the same book.

One 450g dough ball rolled out to about 15" x 10".

Uncooked Sauce - hand crushed whole tomatoes & sun dried tomatoes with garlic and olive oil

Veal/fennel/anise/chili flake/garlic sausage

Fresh buffalo mozzarella, Benedictine bleu from Quebec, dry mozz slices

Dessert - Budini di Riso, rice pudding made with arborio rice, has an egg added in before baking which lends a flan like texture to the finished pudding

Tap water...

Music to dine to - Drive By Truckers, Pizza Deliverance

file-6.jpeg

file1-3_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file2-3_B&Bsize_400.jpg

file8_B&Bsize_400.jpg
file4-2_B&Bsize_400.jpg

file5-1_B&Bsize_600.jpg

''''''''''''''''''''''''''
file7_B&Bsize_600.jpg

file9.jpeg

file10.jpeg

file6_B&Bsize_600.jpg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Our daughter's been away most of the week so had a good chunk of roast chicken left over. Shredded the meat, fried up some onion and garlic, added the chicken, some ground cumin, chipotles and what was left in a jar of salsa. Cabbage/carrot slaw with a rice vinegar dressing, diced avocado/diced cherry tomatoes/sliced scallion/cilantro salad, julienned radish, Dubliner cheddar and toasted corn tortillas...

Pelee Island... repeat, repeat, repeat...

Dessert - Raspberry/Rhubarb Pie with Greek yogurt, daughter's currently basking in Greece... better bring home some olives...

Music - True Blue, 75 Years of Blue Note Records, disc #3

View attachment 875809 View attachment 875810
dave
Excellent

Thanks Chris, it couldn't be easier. The toughest part would have been processing the tomatoes and my wife did that last summer.
dave

Another Saturday and two more new pizza recipes to try. Dough and toppings from the book Pizza Camp. Three attempts so far and three winners. Easy to work with dough that gives a tasty chewy crust. His pizzas so far are more heavily topped so you need this more substantial crust iteration then what we might usually do.

Pizza I - Marinara with garlic slices then topped with anchovies filets, parmesan and a drizzle of more EVOO after baking. Garden tomato sauce, tomato chunks and garlic all from last summer.

Pizza II - Roasted Mushroom Cream spread atop the dough, grated dry mozzarella and shreddded fresh mozz scttered overtop the cream, raw button mushrooms slices and sauteed oyster & shiitake mushrooms scattered over the cheeses and baked. Parm, EVOO and fresh garden chives to finish.

Beverage --- Pelee Island --- red ---
Dessert - Pumpkin Pie & fresh whipped cream
Music - Total Reggae - Roots, Disc 2

file2-3.jpeg
file4-2.jpeg
file5-1.jpeg

file9_B&Bsize_400.jpg
''''''
file6_B&Bsize_400.jpg

file8.jpeg
file7.jpeg
file-6.jpeg

dave

Thanks Aaron!

Back to some meat for tonight, as per usual, probably a one off...

IPA braised pork belly (and veg) atop a Beluga Lentil Salad with some quick pickled red onion, carrots and radishes.

Put the rub on the pork belly yesterday and this afternoon braised, fumbled, ad libbed, second guessed, faked and cursed along the way to dinner. Ended up okay.

file3-3.jpeg
file-6.jpeg
file1-3.jpeg

dave

Another Saturday and two more new pizza recipes to try. Dough and toppings from the book Pizza Camp. Three attempts so far and three winners. Easy to work with dough that gives a tasty chewy crust. His pizzas so far are more heavily topped so you need this more substantial crust iteration then what we might usually do.

Pizza I - Marinara with garlic slices then topped with anchovies filets, parmesan and a drizzle of more EVOO after baking. Garden tomato sauce, tomato chunks and garlic all from last summer.

Pizza II - Roasted Mushroom Cream spread atop the dough, grated dry mozzarella and shreddded fresh mozz scttered overtop the cream, raw button mushrooms slices and sauteed oyster & shiitake mushrooms scattered over the cheeses and baked. Parm, EVOO and fresh garden chives to finish.

Beverage --- Pelee Island --- red ---
Dessert - Pumpkin Pie & fresh whipped cream
Music - Total Reggae - Roots, Disc 2

View attachment 877848 View attachment 877849 View attachment 877850

....View attachment 877851'''''' View attachment 877856
View attachment 877853 View attachment 877854 View attachment 877855
dave
That looks delicious!

Thanks Aaron!

IPA braised pork belly (and veg) atop a Beluga Lentil Salad with some quick pickled red onion, carrots and radishes.

Put the rub on the pork belly yesterday and this afternoon braised, fumbled, ad libbed, second guessed, faked and cursed along the way to dinner. Ended up okay.

View attachment 878149 View attachment 878150 View attachment 878151
dave
Wow, sounds delicious and excellent plating.

I threw together some sous vide fried chicken tonight. All thighs, cooked for 3 hours @ 152.5F. Knob of butter, liquid smoke, garlic, S&P in the bags.

Thew together some cabbage\carrot\broccoli slaw with a simple tangy\spicy dressing.

Some double fried sweet potato fries, with some curry mayo.

Took the sous vide bag drippings and made some gravy.

Did a double dredge, with buttermilk in between.
Ingredients;
2C flour
1Tbsp Paprika
1Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1Tbsp Garlic powder
1Tbps Onion powder
1Tbsp Corriander
1tsp ginger
1tsp oregano
1tsp thyme
1tsp parsley
1tsp cumin
1/2tsp nutmeg

31124523_719678918422407_6144557265094443008_o.jpg

Another one I can't claim the credit for, but it's a top steak from possibly the best (value for money) restaurant here. Mag's Wine Kitchen. It only has 5 starters, 5 mains, and 3 desserts all from an open kitchen. It also has a great wine list, with a batch of Bordeaux Second Labels, e.g., Ch Talbot is the one everyone knows and will cost around $300 in a restaurant here, while Connetable de Talbot is same terroir, same grapes, same winemaker but, it's not quite as good as it's big brother and less than half the cost. I daresay an expert could tell the difference but I can't (I have tried both, in France).

They serve it all stacked up so I moved the steak for the photo, and eating, hence the stain on the mash(!)

IMG_2430.JPG

Another one I can't claim the credit for, but it's a top steak from possibly the best (value for money) restaurant here. Mag's Wine Kitchen. It only has 5 starters, 5 mains, and 3 desserts all from an open kitchen. It also has a great wine list, with a batch of Bordeaux Second Labels, e.g., Ch Talbot is the one everyone knows and will cost around $300 in a restaurant here, while Connetable de Talbot is same terroir, same grapes, same winemaker but, it's not quite as good as it's big brother and less than half the cost. I daresay an expert could tell the difference but I can't (I have tried both, in France).

They serve it all stacked up so I moved the steak for the photo, and eating, hence the stain on the mash(!)

View attachment 879614
Looks like a nice Demi glace too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Aaron!

View attachment 878149 View attachment 878150 View attachment 878151
dave
You really should work in the culinary field- everything always looks so perfect.

And thanks again!

For a camera, pretty much as basic as you can get, i haven't a phone but picked up an ipod touch for it's camera and use two apps. Instead of the native ipod camera i use the app "Procamera" which gives you much more control of camera functions. Then to post tweak the image i use the app 'Snapseed'. All kinds of tutorials and info out there on using Snapseed.

ProCamera + HDR - the next dimension in iOS mobile photography!

dave

Awesome man, I'll definitely check it out.

Really nice shots, great plating. I used to cook professionally, in fine dining but that **** is INTENSE. lol Not enough value placed on a persons time, IMO.

Here's a couple of pics from back in the day.... :302:

upload_2018-4-28_23-51-3.png

12715351_100927233630915_8129706785057410970_n.jpg

12694501_100941230296182_29713285838097731_o.jpg

Top Bottom