What's new

What would be your OC choice?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide which OC razor to go with and have settled or picking between the Ikon B1 Open Comb Deluxe and the RazoRock GC 68 OC.

I have the most recent iteration of the Muhle R41 and I love it, but am looking for something less aggressive to use as a daily driver. I am finding that an open comb razor does a better job cleaning up the stubble around the jawline.

I would love any feedback regarding these two options before I make a decision…and choosing both is not an option at this point.

I have the RR Gamechanger OC and JAWS in 85. I'll give them a hearty endorsement. I expect the 68 would be a smooth and trouble free daily driver. I have an iKon with the B1 coating, but not the OC. The B1 seems to hold up well, but I like uncoated stainless steel better.

I had the iKon OCD and found the teeth to be too harsh. Not the most comfortable shave for me.
I found it profided me with a very "deep" and close shave, but I just couldn't handle the feeling of the teeth.
Ofcourse your mileage may vary, but I was glad I sold it.
I haven't tried a RR. 68,but I would guess that one to be milder.

The Yaqi Mellon gets alot of praise, and is supposed to be a mild but good shaver.

I like the PAA El Fantasma, it is a fun, light weighted and nimble little thing that won't break the bank . If you dont mind shopping vintage, a Gillette New Improved is a excellent and beautiful razor.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide which OC razor to go with and have settled or picking between the Ikon B1 Open Comb Deluxe and the RazoRock GC 68 OC.

I have the most recent iteration of the Muhle R41 and I love it, but am looking for something less aggressive to use as a daily driver. I am finding that an open comb razor does a better job cleaning up the stubble around the jawline.

I would love any feedback regarding these two options before I make a decision…and choosing both is not an option at this point.

Hello there Dr. Carver!

While surprising that I still do not own a Muhle R41 yet, I've read enough on it, to suggest that it would not be a good daily shaving razor, due to the aggressiveness that you suggest. But for removing large bulk, I could see the R41 being a winner for the chicken dinner.

I have the perfect recommendation for a daily shaving OC razor, but it is infact, a double open comb razor. I have a PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold, and I love it. It can shave so mildly, when the handle is tightened all the way down. Or, twist the handle open from seated, about 1/16", 1/8", or 1/4", and suddenly, she becomes a real go getter!

It shaves very smoothly, and the double open comb head design, leaves some lather on your face, so you can make several passes. So far I've had success running Wizamet's in it. Please keep in mind, if the cost is too high for you, PAA makes other versions of the Ascension in different metal alloy's, where they cost a little less. I personally like the weight of the copper, and the handle has awesome grip!

proxy.php

Very good recommendations above and I 2nd the the Copper Ascension by PAA or the Stainless & Aluminum versions as well if they are ever made available.

But a couple more I would like to throw in just to slightly expand your search and just for reference for future possible acquisitions.

Vintage for me is the Gillette RFB & New SC. The RFB gets the nod over the New SC but, I'd be happy with the latter as my sole OC daily shaver

Modern is a little quagmire for me but, I'll start with the Lupo .72 OC. More than enough efficiency to take on 2-3 days of growth with ease and still mild and easy on the skin for a great daily operator. Affordable and extremely well made. The GC series are great as well but, I give the edge to the Lupo line up for the lower profile and just offer better versatility for me. Just my opinion. The Karve Razor by CB is another that offers excellent shaving attributes and combinations galore to satisfy practically ever shaver regardless of skin sensitivity or facial hair growth. It just works well. The Timeless Ti is another but, the cash layout is exponentially higher. Regardless, if you can swing it the .68 OC is a marvelous tool. Of the premium/luxury segment of razor land, I consider it to be the gatekeeper and personally, the .95 Ti is my favorite 3 pc. razor. If I were only to keep one razor and it had to be a 3pc, it would be this one.

Now, adjustables are a whole new ballgame but, one can fine tune their shave requirements to near a perfect compromise in getting the efficiency and simultaneously smooth feel plus comfort overall. There is no other division or category of razors that can match those qualities. Turn the adjustment knob to your liking on the gap sizes is as easy as putting ketchup & mustard on a hotdog. Personally they are my favorite category of razors. Premium units command big buck$ but, only one is available with an open comb option and that is the Homelike Taiga as none of the others like Rocnel, Razor Emporium & Blackland offer an open comb choice. It's a top tier and top dollar acquisition but, I will tell you this that it is more factual than opinion. This razor is built to practically cover every safety razor made in terms of gap, exposure and delivering just as comfortable a shave as a traditional 2-3 piece razor. Unfortunately, it's based in Russia and acquiring one is not easy plus, there's the ethical and moral side of the equation on what is happening in that side of the world. That's a subject matter that you must decide on your own. There are budget priced options that shave exceptionally well such as the OC Flexi and the new Parker OC Variant ( I actually have one but, haven't used it yet. I have the original release SB and it gives great shaves. I don't see how the OC one can be any different) which both are available for well under $100 US.

There are good options out there to fit tastes, likes & budget. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Happy shaves to you....:shaving:

I've tried a number of OC razors and found that on some the teeth can dig into the skin sometimes. The design of the Timeless baseplate (specifically the tooth width and the precise machining) completely avoids the problem. They are expensive but (imo) worth it. I have no affiliation with Timeless Razors other than satisfied customer.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Very good recommendations above and I 2nd the the Copper Ascension by PAA or the Stainless & Aluminum versions as well if they are ever made available.

But a couple more I would like to throw in just to slightly expand your search and just for reference for future possible acquisitions.

Vintage for me is the Gillette RFB & New SC. The RFB gets the nod over the New SC but, I'd be happy with the latter as my sole OC daily shaver

Modern is a little quagmire for me but, I'll start with the Lupo .72 OC. More than enough efficiency to take on 2-3 days of growth with ease and still mild and easy on the skin for a great daily operator. Affordable and extremely well made. The GC series are great as well but, I give the edge to the Lupo line up for the lower profile and just offer better versatility for me. Just my opinion. The Karve Razor by CB is another that offers excellent shaving attributes and combinations galore to satisfy practically ever shaver regardless of skin sensitivity or facial hair growth. It just works well. The Timeless Ti is another but, the cash layout is exponentially higher. Regardless, if you can swing it the .68 OC is a marvelous tool. Of the premium/luxury segment of razor land, I consider it to be the gatekeeper and personally, the .95 Ti is my favorite 3 pc. razor. If I were only to keep one razor and it had to be a 3pc, it would be this one.

Now, adjustables are a whole new ballgame but, one can fine tune their shave requirements to near a perfect compromise in getting the efficiency and simultaneously smooth feel plus comfort overall. There is no other division or category of razors that can match those qualities. Turn the adjustment knob to your liking on the gap sizes is as easy as putting ketchup & mustard on a hotdog. Personally they are my favorite category of razors. Premium units command big buck$ but, only one is available with an open comb option and that is the Homelike Taiga as none of the others like Rocnel, Razor Emporium & Blackland offer an open comb choice. It's a top tier and top dollar acquisition but, I will tell you this that it is more factual than opinion. This razor is built to practically cover every safety razor made in terms of gap, exposure and delivering just as comfortable a shave as a traditional 2-3 piece razor. Unfortunately, it's based in Russia and acquiring one is not easy plus, there's the ethical and moral side of the equation on what is happening in that side of the world. That's a subject matter that you must decide on your own. There are budget priced options that shave exceptionally well such as the OC Flexi and the new Parker OC Variant ( I actually have one but, haven't used it yet. I have the original release SB and it gives great shaves. I don't see how the OC one can be any different) which both are available for well under $100 US.

There are good options out there to fit tastes, likes & budget. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Happy shaves to you....:shaving:
I am more of a "vintage" guy, and I think @GlazedBoker nailed it with both the RFB and New SC. If I were going to go "modern", I'd still turn to this gentleman's recommendations....mostly because I've read many of his razor reviews/posts and I always walk away impressed with his testing/review methods, as well as his ability to clearly communicate his findings.

Out of my collection that are fairly available *PAA Ascension can be a tad harder to get due to production and selling out.
Karve, my choice is D or E (has the smoothest combs and you can get copper!!!)
PAA Ascension (when you can get one)
Ikon b1 deluxe

I don't have the "normal" Game changer open combs but have both the .68 and .84 Jaws....

I am more of a "vintage" guy, and I think @GlazedBoker nailed it with both the RFB and New SC. If I were going to go "modern", I'd still turn to this gentleman's recommendations....mostly because I've read many of his razor reviews/posts and I always walk away impressed with his testing/review methods, as well as his ability to clearly communicate his findings.

I'm humbled by your statement and it's very gracious of you to say that. Honestly, I just get a kick on calling it like it is. As long as one takes a healthy helping of salt and remembers the YMMV edict via general consensus, my findings/experiences may help a shaver or two down the road.

Much appreciated amigo.... :thumbsup:

Hello everyone,

did you try a sharper blade...? sometimes you can up the efficiency with a different blade...Now I love OC's also, so I would also be an enabler...... I have the RR GC OC ( SB is way to mellow for me) . Just depends on you and your face... Sorry... seems it always comes down to a buy and try....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have three open comb razors.... I think. <eg> I had the Timeless Titanium Crown handles so I added a 0.68OC head a few months back. It's perfect for me. I love the PAA Filament double slant OC razor. It made it to my top razor list among much more expensive choices. And I have the ATT S2 OC Slant. I haven't quite mastered that one yet, but I love its sibling, the S1. I rounded the teeth on the S2 a little bit, but not enough to make it comfortable to use. It needs just a tad bit more attention and I think we'll get along fine. <eg>

Hello everyone,

I have the R41, the Ikon OCD and the full range of Game Changer OCs and SBs. The Ikon B1 OCD will produce similar results to the R41. It is efficient and I find it a bit more forgiving than the R41. I also find the Ikon has less chatter going ATG. The RR GC .68 OC will be a step down in efficiency but will still produce smooth comfortable shaves. I find the Ikon or the R41 produce much longer lasting shaves than the RR GC .68 OC. I also have found the teeth on the RR GC .68 OC to be a bit scratchy at times. Oddly, I don't have this issue with the RR GC .84 OC. When it comes to RazoRock OCs, my absolute favorite would be the JAWS .84 OC. For me, the JAWS ups the efficiency considerably but is still very smooth and I can use it daily without irritation. I will also recommend the Pearl Flexi OC adjustable. Adjusting the Pearl you have the ability to change the level of efficiency with the turn of a dial. I typically use mine at 2.5 for the first pass then drop down to 1.5 for subsequent passes. The Pearl is a heavy razor but for me has excellent balance and superior grip so in use, it does not feel heavy. Good luck on your quest! As you can see, I went down the same path and ended up with all of them :)

I also like the vintage route, Gillette old type or the New types (long combs or short combs), but recently just got into the new Parker Variant OC, which shaves as smooth as the vintages!

Reactions: ewk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For some reason I keep forgetting about the FOCS. Which is a shame, as it's really a good razor. Better pull mine out soon before I forget again!

The PAA Starling V2 is a Gem-ish OC (has both OC and SB plates). Teeth very close together, and for me one of the best Gem style razors. Waiting on the stainless version.

The RazoRock BBS-OC is quite mild, but a possibility.

I do not personally enjoy the "Jaws" spacing for OC teeth. Too much space between teeth, and I remove small skin imperfections rather than shaving over them. Blood and aggravation aside, it did leave my skin in pretty smooth condition but as I say it was a bit traumatic.

O.H.

I also like the vintage route, Gillette old type or the New types (long combs or short combs), but recently just got into the new Parker Variant OC, which shaves as smooth as the vintages!
^^^ +++ ^^^

Parker Variant OC is awesome.

Gillette "Old" is just as comfortable and efficient as any modern razor. I prefer it over the Gillette "New," but it is also an excellent choice. You are sacrificing nothing by choosing an Old or New.

FOCS is also a great choice. :)

Top Bottom