What's new

What works for me...

Very nice post Kyle! I too used to always shower after my shave to help stop the blood from pouring out of my face. However, since using the DE I've been able to shave after my shower.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Kyle's posts have always been great, but lately he has stepped it up another notch. Aside from Joel, Scott, and Ron, I don't know of anyone who puts more effort into their posts.

Nice job!

I would second Ouch's comment above--and add that Kyle is always a gentleman in his approach and delivery when dispensing advice. He's one of the guys that makes B&B what it is.

Thanks Kyle! Great job!

In the "Passes" section of the parent post, what do "E-W," "S-N," and "N-S" mean? Do they just mean "East-to-West," "South-to-North" and "North-to-South"? If so, I don't understand what Kyle means when he says that he added an "E-W or ear-to-nose pass." Going from ear-to-nose on the right side of the face would indeed be a movement from east-to-west. But moving from ear-to-nose on the left side of the face would be a movement from west-to-east. And I wouldn't think that one is supposed to move from ear-to-nose on the left side of the face, and from nose-to-ear on the right side. But this is what "E-W" literally implies. So what is the deal? Is the "E-W" movement understood to be relative to the right side of the face, and simply mirrored on the left? Do I sound like an idiot for even getting confused about this? :)

Also, are there any other abbreviations that are commonly used when talking about passes? As a newbie, I'm finding talk of the number and type of passes to be the most difficult part of wet shaving to understand. So I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me to better understand that aspect of things.

Thanks!
-Joe

joepa said:
In the "Passes" section of the parent post, what do "E-W," "S-N," and "N-S" mean? Do they just mean "East-to-West," "South-to-North" and "North-to-South"? ...If so, I don't understand what Kyle means when he says that he added an "E-W or ear-to-nose pass." Is the "E-W" movement understood to be relative to the right side of the face, and simply mirrored on the left?
Yes, N-S would indicate North-to-South, etc. Another way of interpreting these would be:
  • N-S = North-to-South = with the grain
  • Ear-to-Chin = downward diagonal stroke working toward the midline of the face = somewhat diagonal to but with the grain
  • E-W and W-E = horizontal stroke working toward the midline of the face = across the grain
  • Jaw-to-Nose = upward diagonal stroke working toward the midline of the face = somewhat diagonal to but against the grain
  • S-N = South-to-North = against the grain
I hope this helps clarify everything.

I'll admit when I first saw the grip, I thought, "No Way" it couldn't possibly work, but after just a few days, my technique improved drastically. Kyle this was a great post, thank you so much. Every newbie here should have it emailed to their account upon membership, out of all the great advice I've gotten, this is the simplest and most effective thing. I never thought just holding the razor could change things so much, but it does.

I havent gotten my Merkur yet, but I tried a similar, less heavy grip on my Sensor last night. I didnt add any more pressure than was needed (although you have to add pressure since the razor isnt weighted). I think this helped contribute to one of my most comftorable shaves to date.

Kyle-

Great post. Very informative.

Not only does does your grip work on DE razors, it also works on toothbrushes, of all things.

Duggo

I wish I had read Kyle's whole post here more carefully instead of just focusing on the grip part alone (which is amazing by the way). I wasted weeks cutting myself and still unable to get a close shave along my jawline, before I figured out the Horizontal E to W, W to E stroke on my own. If I had just read it carefully, I would have known before I even started with a DE. :redface:

Thanks for the hold technique!

I had been gripping my Long Handle Open Comb Classic toward razor head, this works much better!

Your post is GREAT. This post should be saved and emailed or PM'ed to every newbie who askes how to get started. Even though I am a shower shaver I agree with your hot towel prep being so important if one doesn't shave in the shower. Good job Kyle.

Tony Espo

I have converted the post into a Word document and a PDF file. Now I just need to know what to do with them. IANAL, but I think technically Kyle has an inherent copyright on it; however I don't know what happens to that when it gets posted. Perhaps I could just email them to Kyle. Or, I could put them up on my web site to be downloaded. But it seems like the forum could post it somewhere.

Hi Kyle

I wanted to drop you a line to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative guide to DE shaving. After two weeks I was on the verge of giving up due to my shave being uncomfortable, however I read your thread and saw the videos on yourtube and over the weekend had the shave of my live!!!

Many thanks, Rousey

Rousey,
You are very welcome. I am glad that this post has proven helpful to you and that your shaves have begun to "turn the corner".

Top Bottom