What's new

What works for me...

cpdetailing,

I use aftershave products after showering.

Finally I have found another person who shaves BEFORE showering:001_smile

After a cold rinse following the last pass, I tend to dry and then apply a light moisturiser. I then go for breakfast etc. After showering, and the last part of my shower is cold water running over my face (I do live in the tropics :001_smile), I dry my face and then apply an aftershave moisturiser. So far so good, not bad for a forty something novice :laugh:

Thanks this has really made a huge difference to how I shave, before I didn't pay too much attention to the growth of my beard and so at times was shaving against the grain without with the grain beforehand which gave me a lot of irritation :taz:

Much improved now! :badger:

Great post, love the information, detail and photos. At only two and a half weeks into wet shaving I'm still working on the pressure/angle issue, especially around the neck and jawline. I'll be trying out the razor grips tomorrow, and sending a link to this to a newbie friend of mine. Thanks for taking the time to educate. :thumbup:

Just a quick follow up. The three finger grip on the razor has dramatically helped me in the pressure/angle department and almost entirely eliminated razor burn for me. Thanks Kyle!

I've only been DE shaving for 2 months. I agree with shaving before a shower. Some face oils seem to help me keep the razor burn down.

Thanks for the post.

Nice to see a post by kyle after some time ( If I haven't missed some in the past)
As usual a great post by a great veteran. I was drawn to experiment further in wet shaving after reading the two reviews on HD34c and the slant by kyle. When that happened I was not even a member here.

Thank you very much for sharing

Nice to see a post by kyle after some time ( If I haven't missed some in the past)
As usual a great post by a great veteran. I was drawn to experiment further in wet shaving after reading the two reviews on HD34c and the slant by kyle. When that happened I was not even a member here.

Thank you very much for sharing

+1

Hey, very informative post. Good job. What happens though when you have whiskers (in my case the mustache area )that are hard almost impossible to cut?

OP: "My prep consists of holding a hot moist towel over the area to be shaved for 2-3 minutes. I use hot water from the tap and will “refresh” the towel in the sink bowl every 30-45 seconds until I have reached the aforementioned 2-3 minute mark."

As I am also a "shower after shave rather than before" kind of guy, i wanted to try the above advice. I end up looking like batman being waterboarded when i do this. Can someone educate me as to the finer points of this menaouver? I end up standing in front of the sink with towel dripping from corners and no matter how i hold it, half my face is not being lubricated.
i have tried using less water on towel, but less water isnt enough to let my face soak it up.

do you do this standing up?

i realize how tediously detailed i'm being, but this act is very inelegant the way i do it, and in general i am a pretty graceful, athletic dude. (i am comfortable enough with my sexuality to cal myself graceful as a compliment, thank you):biggrin1:

OP: "My prep consists of holding a hot moist towel over the area to be shaved for 2-3 minutes. I use hot water from the tap and will “refresh” the towel in the sink bowl every 30-45 seconds until I have reached the aforementioned 2-3 minute mark."

As I am also a "shower after shave rather than before" kind of guy, i wanted to try the above advice. I end up looking like batman being waterboarded when i do this. Can someone educate me as to the finer points of this menaouver? I end up standing in front of the sink with towel dripping from corners and no matter how i hold it, half my face is not being lubricated.
i have tried using less water on towel, but less water isnt enough to let my face soak it up.

do you do this standing up?

i realize how tediously detailed i'm being, but this act is very inelegant the way i do it, and in general i am a pretty graceful, athletic dude. (i am comfortable enough with my sexuality to cal myself graceful as a compliment, thank you):biggrin1:

Sounds like you have too much water. Ring it out, there is still enough water in to for your beard/face to soak it up. When it cools a little, dip/rinse with hot again, ring it out, repeat.

Good luck!

Great Post - thanks! Will try swapping out my ham-fisted, baseball bat grip with your delicate tea-drinker's pinky salute :)

Top Bottom