What's new

What was your first shaving cream?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So what was your first shaving cream?

Mine was TOBS Lemon & Lime.
I liked it if my memory doesn't fail me but it was only a stepping stone to the world of creams, so never re stocked it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mine was TOBS Sandalwood. I loved it so much it may me feel like part of some exclusive club that the world did not know.

I think it was TOBS Sandalwood. I remember it just dried up and flaked off :laugh:. Course that wasn't TOBS's fault - that was all on the user.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
What I have to say is probably forbidden.

My first cream is one I remember from 1966.

It was Lime in the can. I used it only a little for my first attempts with a double edge razor.

I couldn't shave with a DE razor, so I went to an electric razor.

But I still remember that great Lime smell.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I ordered a Truefitt and Hill shave cream and aftershave sampler set. They were good, but I preferred soap. My wife loves the Spanish Leather aftershave, however.

I have been working my way through a Truefitt and Hill sampler also. I like them quite a bit, and will probably continue to experiment with creams. Coming from Mitchell's Wool Fat these work up way easier.

I started wetshaving with a puck of VDH. My firsr order for a cream though was for Palmolive, which my wife, promptly, vetoed on the account we need to wait till the grandkids graduate med school before we use this one.

Purchased many samples from Maggard's, started with TOBS Sandalwood. Loved it, great scent. But as I use other scents and brands TOBS Sandalwood is no longer my favorite.

If you consider canned Barbasol to be a cream, that was my first. It was sold cheaply in the PX'es, $0.15 in the 1970s, special military price. It was my go-to product for 35 years until I landed on DE and AoS Lavender, with many others tried since.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mine was TOBS Sandalwood. I loved it so much it may me feel like part of some exclusive club that the world did not know.

It opened a new world to me as well. I had used a DE razor many years before but using the canned stuff and poor technique I went back to carts.
I still fell part of a exclusive club when I look at what is available in the supermarkets.

I had some hard pucks first, but when I got curious about creams I picked up a tube of C.O Bigelow, and thought it was great.

I was quite happily using my Arko Soap Bowl until.....
One day while I was shopping in my local Bip Supermarket, I saw some tubes of Gillette Regular and Williams Expert Ice Blue shaving creams and decided to give them a go
I can't remember which one I tried first, but I liked them both, and they started me off down the slippery (or should that be slick) slope of buying and trying different shaving creams.....
In no particular order I added the following from various different countries to my rotation........
Bea, Lea, La Toja and La Toja Sensitive - Spain
Estoril Sport Line and Goldex - Portugal
Bond, Lider, Wars - Poland
Old Spice Original, Old Spice Musk, Old Spice Fresh Lime - India

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was quite happily using my Arko Soap Bowl until.....
One day while I was shopping in my local Bip Supermarket, I saw some tubes of Gillette Regular and Williams Expert Ice Blue shaving creams and decided to give them a go
I can't remember which one I tried first, but I liked them both, and they started me off down the slippery (or should that be slick) slope of buying and trying different shaving creams.....
In no particular order I added the following from various different countries to my rotation........
Bea, Lea, La Toja and La Toja Sensitive - Spain
Estoril Sport Line and Goldex - Portugal
Bond, Lider, Wars - Poland
Old Spice Original, Old Spice Musk, Old Spice Fresh Lime - India

Slick slope indeed. :thumbup1:

There is some very good shaving product from your part of the world.
I'm considering Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Shaving Cream, made in Portugal. I picked up their after shave which I like a lot.
I also will be adding Musgo Real classic scent as well.

Last edited:
I bought the Blue Tube Nivea, then found Kiss My Face Lavender in a grocery shop, then learned how to buy on the internet. Now I buy them all!

Top Bottom