What's new

What was your Dad's shaving kit?

If memory serves, my dad used:
60's Gillette Superspeed Flaretip
Palmolive shaving cream
Ever-Ready 100 brush
Old Spice Aftershave

Thanks for this great thread -- it brings back a long-forgotten memory:

Once, when I was a kid, my dad was away and I wanted to see how that Superspeed would work on the pre-pubescent peach fuzz on my face. I couldn't figure out how to lather the Palmolive, so I just tried to dry-shave. Almost immediately, the thing slipped and I sliced my lip. Just a small cut, but of course I bled like a slaughtered lamb. I was worried that my folks would be upset, so I cleaned everything up and later told my them I'd tripped and cut myself on a sharp rock.

Dad has a beard now, which he edges with cheapo disposables. A year ago, when I started pursuing vintage gear, I asked him if he had any of it around. Nope -- all tossed decades ago, unfortunately. But not before I ventured that first, disastrous pass. Now I'm glad I did.

I'm happy to report that my technique is somewhat improved!

Last edited:
M

member 119848

My dad had a Gillette 7 O'Clock P II cartridge Razor. Used a Monsavon puck, and Brute aftershave. Brush was a Plisson badger. This setup lasted for decades.

He had a clean shave every day. As I remember, his aftershave scent was always present at breakfast :001_smile

As I remember, his aftershave scent was always present at breakfast :001_smile
that line right there brought a flood of childhood memories. Dad's smell at breakfast! What a delight. By the time I paid attention to his shaving he had switched to electric, so he always had the Richard Nixon five o'clock shadow, regardless if he had just shaved or not.

M

member 119848

that line right there brought a flood of childhood memories. Dad's smell at breakfast! What a delight. By the time I paid attention to his shaving he had switched to electric, so he always had the Richard Nixon five o'clock shadow, regardless if he had just shaved or not.
Smells (&scents) are the most powerfull memory elements.
Yes, those breakfasts... coffee & toasted bread, dad´s after shave & deo, and us (kids) crunching corn flakes...

Smells (&scents) are the most powerfull memory elements.
Yes, those breakfasts... coffee & toasted bread, dad´s after shave & deo, and us (kids) crunching corn flakes...
Agreed! I remember those smells from breakfast when I was a kid. Toast and coffee and Dad's AS and deo. Great memories.

Mine used those pink Daisy razors and Barbasol. LOL I remember trying a Daisy once when I was young and broke. I dont recall it being a very pleasant experience.

Hi,

I remember my father shaving with a Gillette Slim adjustable. Which when it became time for me to have my own, I also got one that I still use today. Interestingly, or probably not, at some point we got them mixed up and I have his razor dated 1963 I think. Mine is lost to the past. I honestly can't remember him using soap to shave. Rather a can of shave cream was all I can recall. Old Spice was his choice of AS, and it was mine also for many years. My Wife never has really cared for Old Spice, so I have since switched to Clubman which she likes more.

My Grandfathers had different choices. One used a Gem and had a well worn brush and soap and the other I remember as using a Schick Injector and canned cream. I remember watching my Mother looking in the little Avon catalogue at shave mugs and soap for her father every Christmas. I wish I had all those Avon milk glass shave mugs today!

Just responded to another thread on one pass shaves and that got me thinking...my Dad was a one pass shaver with some touch ups. I don't ever remember him doing multiple passes. He was an old school kind of guy and did one pass, came to the breakfast table clean shaven and came home from the office with a five o'clock shadow.

My father shaves with an f4 Fat Boy that his brother-in-law gave as a present back in 1968 when he and my mother got engaged. He shaves every day - one pass and never Atg - using only Tabac soap and a boar brush. I remember him finishing his shave and getting a good splash of Brut (or Old Spice or English leather whatever he liked) with a slap on his face.
He still uses that old damn boar brush - this thing is older than Noah - but does not want to use another - i bet this thing will disintegrate in his hand while lathering. Bought him a badger couple of months ago and he said "Son i gotten used to my good ol' brush , besides can't teach an old stubborn dog new tricks i reckon", so i took back the badger to the store and bought him couple of Tabac refills .

Last year after learning that i've lost my Black Beauty in a business trip i caught him searching in the old kitchen cupboards ... "Dad what are you looking for ?" i asked...

And he replied :"I'm looking for the old Fat Boy case so you can have it - my old face can use the plastic Bic" ...

Yep that old dog can still bring tears on his 44 year old sons eyes ...
(i took the fat boy and send it for replating and gave it back to him - he thought it was a brand new razor and got angry with me cause i'm wasting my money LOL )

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Norelcos. He had about three of them ... two funky older or broken ones and one that worked.

In the hospital, nurses shaved him with a cart, before he died.

AA

My earliest memory is of a mug with shaving soap and an old brush that was chipped around the bottom. I have no idea what kind of soap he used, but I remember that sometimes there was just leftover bar soap in there. He used a TracII. When the hairs finally fell out of the brush in clumps (I don't think he took very good care of it, he always left it in the mug wet), he went to canned shaving cream. Still uses the TracII to this day. Oh, and Old Spice. Always Old Spice aftershave. I don't remember him wearing anything else. He had a bottle of Aramis on his dresser that he never wore, said he didn't like it. It was a gift from my Mom's grandmother.

My Dad used used a Red Tip for daiLy shaves. (He was a daily, 7 days a week shaver)
A Blue Tip to remove the 5 o'clock shadow for evenning social occasions.

He used Burma Shave than Noxzema Brushless and finally Palmolive Brushless. He had no use for a shave brush. (No brush, no lather no rub in)

He finished with Witch Hazel and Old Spice or Aqua Velva.

I know he enjoyed shaving, and the look and feel of a clean close shave.

My Dad bought a 195 adjustable (the revered Fatboy) before heading off to college in 1959. He taught me how to shave using the red can Barbasol and a disposable razor. I remember him saying that if I could shave a lathered balloon without it bursting, I would be ready to shave my face! We never did the balloon, probably because Mom didn't want shaving cream ("oh what a dream! Shave every day and you'll always be clean!") all over our only bathroom!

My brother, Dad, and I all got Atras in the mail, which I used for years. Dad didn't like razors, and has been using various electrics since the late 80's. The Fatboy was cased, the case covered with various powders, and went MIA in the mid-2000s. Dad believes it to be in the house, wants me to have it, but I don't want to waste my precious visits digging through their stuff. My folks are in failing health, and when I can fly back to visit, I want to visit and not appear to value a razor more than them! Dad tells me to just go digging when they are asleep! Maybe someday, but not now.

My Dad was born in 1925. Started with a straight passed down by his Dad. Shaved with it until buying a Ball-End Tech in 1951. He used the Tech with Wilkinson blades, a Victoria boar brush, hand soap, and Old Spice.

In 1964, he replaced the Tech with a Slim Adjustable. Then, around 1983, he switched to a Remington electric and gave me the Tech (which I still shave with). He used various electrics until 2014 when I gave him a Merkur 34C HD and an Omega Pro 49 for Father's Day. He rediscovered the joy of wet shaving and he told me that he should never have given it up in the first place.

He passed three months later and my Mom gave me all of his shaving stuff. I occasionally use the 34C, but using his brush still makes me sad, so it just sits in my medicine cabinet.

I should add...for styptic my Dad used little pieces of toilet paper. I could tell when he was in need of a blade change...he would come to the kitchen with a few spots of bloodied toilet paper stuck on his face.

That was me in the 80s and 90s before the invention of the pivoting head cart. Didn't know what styptic was but no shortage of toilet paper :)

My dad has been using the same TTO Gillette( I think it's a knack) for many decades. Always a one pass shaver.

I remember when I was very young, he would just use the bar of soap in the bathroom to make a lather, although he's been using the canned stuff for some time now(refuses any of my soaps etc)

As for blades, all we can get in the supermarkets here is wilkinson sword, so that's all he used, until I got into DE shaving, and he was happy to try some different blades. He really likes the Gillette blades( any so far) and feather!

He's also had the same horse hair brush for probably 40 years, the knot now resembles a little stump, you have to realise, I come from a Greek family, and Greek men can be very stubborn, so when I told him I'll get him another new brush "this is still the best one re! I had it long before you were born!"

But I gave him a new Yaqi synthetic tuxedo, that he used for the first time this Sunday, he really liked it by simply saying "it's better than what I had"

Edit - photo of dads shaving gear added!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Dad definitely had the Gillette Contour and then the Sensor. He always used Gillette's gel or foam in the can. I used to like messing around with the can much to his annoyance. He also had a Phillips electric shaver and would often use that. I can remember him complaining about razor burn a lot and I don't think his habit of 'touching up' areas like the moustache with the electric after a wet shave helped.

He also used to come out of the bathroom with bits of toilet paper stuck to his face. Thankfully I've fared a lot better!

Dad always used a Gillette tto, Gillette blades, Old Spice mug and soap, brush of some kind, and Old Spice after shaves. I got the identical kit for my 13th birthday in 1969. Used it for several years. He's 84 now and uses those Bic single blade disposables, foam shave cream and still the Old Spice after shave. I will have to ask him if he still has the old Gillette around somewhere. I've used the Old Spice as since that day nearly 50 years ago. No idea what happened to my old kit.

Top Bottom