What's new

What was your carry today?

Where are the pics? I can't be the only one, who would enjoy seeing the Citori, shell pouch and the seperate belt you wear it with?

:)
I guess next time, I will have to toss all that junk in a pile and take a pic. I have posted the gun before, though.

20210201_204452.jpg

Hey OkieStubble.

Respect to you sir. I am glad to have some civil discussion with you here.

In all honesty I do not come to the firearms subforum to criticize or make argument. I am silent for months on end, and now one comment got my goat. I should know better, perhaps.

I arrive here because it is part of B&B, where I have participated from before the firearms sub broke off from the great outdoors subforum.

Currents of thought about firearms are of interest to me because it is a broader cultural debate that exists here as well as in the USA. US politics have their ripples in Canadian politics. Let’s not talk politics, but consider that I have a genuine interest in this because ideas and hardware and behaviours cross the border constantly. I like to look at the firearms forum here specifically because the people participating are familiar to me from the rest of B&B, so I’m more inclined to think that views expressed here may be nearer the mainstream than on a dedicated gun (or anti—gun) forum.

No I am not on this subforum to agree, promote or enthuse about guns.

Other posts I recall making were in the home defense thread. Once I think I mentioned our PM Jean Chretien grabbing an Inuit soapstone statue to bonk an intruder who was armed with a swiss army knife, after said intruder snuck past the RCMP parked outside. More recently I got spooked by a trespasser in my back yard and, you know, being Canadian I grabbed my canoe paddle to stick under my bed, knowing I could do more damage with it than the hockey stick which was the other obvious choice. This is actually the closest equivalent I can come up with on discussions about which ammo in which gun will stop the bad guy but not penetrate into the neighbour’s house. I know these anecdotes cast us as hopelessly naive from perspective of others, but there it is. I hope it provided amusement to some.

I have done a heap of reading about surfing and surfers, and about Airstream trailers of all things. I have no personal experience with either of these things, but you get on a roll sometimes. Firearms are a more abiding interest, because it comes up constantly in the news. It is never a bad thing to read and consider and learn.

As for the Brown Leaf, no I haven’t posted there. I was a smoker. No one needs me to tell them that tobacco causes cancer.

Thanks for the suggestions about intellectual dishonesty. Not intended! But I went searching to get a clearer sense of what you might mean, and found this a worthwhile read. Thanks for putting me on that path. I will watch out.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hey OkieStubble.

Respect to you sir. I am glad to have some civil discussion with you here.

In all honesty I do not come to the firearms subforum to criticize or make argument. I am silent for months on end, and now one comment got my goat. I should know better, perhaps.

I arrive here because it is part of B&B, where I have participated from before the firearms sub broke off from the great outdoors subforum.

Currents of thought about firearms are of interest to me because it is a broader cultural debate that exists here as well as in the USA. US politics have their ripples in Canadian politics. Let’s not talk politics, but consider that I have a genuine interest in this because ideas and hardware and behaviours cross the border constantly. I like to look at the firearms forum here specifically because the people participating are familiar to me from the rest of B&B, so I’m more inclined to think that views expressed here may be nearer the mainstream than on a dedicated gun (or anti—gun) forum.

No I am not on this subforum to agree, promote or enthuse about guns.

Other posts I recall making were in the home defense thread. Once I think I mentioned our PM Jean Chretien grabbing an Inuit soapstone statue to bonk an intruder who was armed with a swiss army knife, after said intruder snuck past the RCMP parked outside. More recently I got spooked by a trespasser in my back yard and, you know, being Canadian I grabbed my canoe paddle to stick under my bed, knowing I could do more damage with it than the hockey stick which was the other obvious choice. This is actually the closest equivalent I can come up with on discussions about which ammo in which gun will stop the bad guy but not penetrate into the neighbour’s house. I know these anecdotes cast us as hopelessly naive from perspective of others, but there it is. I hope it provided amusement to some.

I have done a heap of reading about surfing and surfers, and about Airstream trailers of all things. I have no personal experience with either of these things, but you get on a roll sometimes. Firearms are a more abiding interest, because it comes up constantly in the news. It is never a bad thing to read and consider and learn.

As for the Brown Leaf, no I haven’t posted there. I was a smoker. No one needs me to tell them that tobacco causes cancer.

Thanks for the suggestions about intellectual dishonesty. Not intended! But I went searching to get a clearer sense of what you might mean, and found this a worthwhile read. Thanks for putting me on that path. I will watch out.

Care for a suggestion @T.Orso?

1. If you take a positive interest in firearms and/or our American culture and rights to own, use and carry firearms, then make posts positively towards that and show that you do. Why? Because this is a safe space that B&B has created and allowed for us to do so?

2. If you don't, then don't post opposing and negative views against it? Why? Because B&B didn't create this free space, for you to come in here to cherry pick the rest of us with opposing views of our rights, culture and beliefs of owning, using and carrying firearms.

3. It would probably be a good idea, if you read this and abide by it?

Welcome to B&B's Firearms & Shooting Sports Sub Forum @T.Orso. :)

We don't have to absolutely agree with everything we read and disagree with here. @T.Orso. Hell, I don't even do that.

But we also, don't have to be absolutely disagreeable, with everything we read and disagree with here either. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry! I am out.

I’m not absolutely disagreeable though or I’d be insufferable briefly and then banned.

Review the guidelines too because we probably should both be banned by now.

OkieStubble

Sorry! I am out.

I’m not absolutely disagreeable though or I’d be insufferable briefly and then banned.

Review the guidelines too because we probably should both be banned by now.

Well that was a quick change. I did not see that coming. :( I should have worded that differently I guess? Maybe I should have said "WE" don't have to be absolutely disagreeable? Yeah, we sounds much better; as opposed to the "you" wasn't meant to point at "you". Sorry about that dude...

I support ice hockey? :)

EDIT: I went back and edited the "you's" and put "we." Better? And just in case, the "we" pertains to "everyone should" and not just "you and/or me." :)

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It definitely has. Statistics show, crime in the Netherlands has increased dramatically since 2010. Just this year, statistics, show over a 40% increase.

Googling the Netherlands, shows me, that you are on top of; and are also very aware, on the different changes and statistics on crime in your country. Good job paying attention to what's going on in your home country @street.

Here is where I can see, it really is, just a difference in culture's and preceptions and let's say; "philosophies" between many European countries cultures and American culture and belief systems when it comes to the "rights of protection of self".

Being mugged on the street, isn't a big issue here either, in many places my friend. But even in Europe,really small, Dutch countries, social and diversity dynamics like a Holland or the Netherlands, 'so far' can't be compared to the US or even the UK, when it comes, to crime and a host of many other things. (yet?) :)

Let's keep the comparisons between the US and Holland in perspective. Your country is the same size of our state of Maryland. Maryland, is one of the "smallest states" in the US.

In the year 2019, there was 542 murders in Maryland. There were only 125 murders in the Netherlands. However, in 2019, there was a 15% decrease in violent crime in Maryland, while the Netherlands has experienced a 40% increase in violent crimes.

And the city of Baltimore Maryland, is one of the highest crime cities per capita, in the US coming in second to only Chicago.

These are just a few stats, that show the complexity and diversity between the vast and enormous differences of large populated nations, like a US, UK or even Africa, versus, small countries, that don't have much social dynamic when it comes to diversity and politics.

Nations such as the Netherlands, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, etc, have always had the reputation and sterotypes of being, "quaint, little countries." But they are changing @street and they are changing fast. Statistically speaking anyway.

Now that we have some statistical analysis out of the way, let's speak on culture diversity and social dynamics between our two countries that give each of us the different perspectives on the different ways we desire of protecting ourselves.

I don't believe our desire to self protection is anymore or different than yours. But again, we both have to look back at our countries different histories to find some clues. while this can be difficult to explain or project in our posts without delving into the forbidden rules of B&B on speaking of politics, we can at least give it a shot?

American history is as dynamic and diverse as it's culture, whereas, Holland's? isn't that diverse. The Netherlands and Dutch culture, goes back centuries of being dominately the Dutch and German race. Whereas America, was colonized from the British Empire, where the American Indian was the Indigenous population.

And not wanting to go into the complicated and complex debates of the dispositions of the american indian, slavery, the civil war, or even the history, of america being a melting pot with a history of immigrants from all over the world, making us up to be what we are today.

American culture and independence with the God given rights there in; and the attitudes and belief of self protection, was forged from the people who populated the colonies, or explored and populated the new American west at that time. Firearms and self protection have and has, always been deeply engrained into American culture and it's people.

You know more about Netherland history than I do. And you know more about it's culture and ways of thinking about your own protection of self and the self reliance of it's people. But times are changing over there, just like they are over here.

I think your visit to our firearms forum, even if it's just out of curiosity, could be a sign of the times?

There is a saying, "While we always hope for the best, we should always be prepared for the worst." Agreed? :)
You’re right about Baltimore, but Chicago and NYC aren’t even in the top 10, per capita.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I did ask it with honest intentions.
I like firearms.Or must I say the look and design of some of them. Just as I like a Zippo lighter, a flathead big twin Harley or a straight shaver.To me there's a beauty in the design of a M16 A1 or a Colt revolver.
I went to a range a couple of times and shot a few.I did some clay pigeon shooti g a few decades ago for a while.
But walking on the street with a firearm at your side in the part of the world where I'm from islike having an F-16 in your backtard.Unthinkable.
Panheads are even better. :)

OkieStubble

You’re right about Baltimore, but Chicago and NYC aren’t even in the top 10, per capita.

Well, I don't think i made a mention on NYC. So the countless bloody gang shootings we hear in the current news feeds every weekend in the streets of Chicago, don't put them in the top 10 of American cities? What cities beat them on this top 10 list?

Maybe I should have said, top 10 cities and not states?

OkieStubble

Here are the 10 states with the highest homicide rates:

1. Louisiana (12.4 per 100,000 people)
  2. Missouri (9.8 per 100,000 people)
  3. Nevada (9.1 per 100,000 people)
  4. Maryland (9 per 100,000 people)
  5. Arkansas (8.6 per 100,000 people)
  6. Alaska (8.4 per 100,000 people)
  7. Alabama (8.3 per 100,000 people)
  8. Mississippi (8.2 per 100,000 people)
  9. Illinois (7.8 per 100,000 people)
  10. South Carolina (7.8 per 100,000 people)

Top 10 cities with highest crime rate:

You are indeed correct about Chicago @oc_in_fw Very surprising to me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here are the 10 states with the highest homicide rates:

1. Louisiana (12.4 per 100,000 people)
  2. Missouri (9.8 per 100,000 people)
  3. Nevada (9.1 per 100,000 people)
  4. Maryland (9 per 100,000 people)
  5. Arkansas (8.6 per 100,000 people)
  6. Alaska (8.4 per 100,000 people)
  7. Alabama (8.3 per 100,000 people)
  8. Mississippi (8.2 per 100,000 people)
  9. Illinois (7.8 per 100,000 people)
  10. South Carolina (7.8 per 100,000 people)

Top 10 cities with highest crime rate:

You are indeed correct about Chicago @oc_in_fw Very surprising to me.
You said cities, and I mentioned NYC along with Chicago because people always claim their PER CAPITA rate is at the top. It isn’t. In fact, my favorite city (Cleveland) ranks above them in murder rate per capita. A dubious honor, for sure. ;)

Top Bottom