What's new

What TV series you watching?

Banshee..... 2016 cinemax TV

Fun sexy show based out of my hometown state of Pennsylvania

$1443489157260.jpg$xU1aCa4buW8mP1MLZ8lhJT7yjsk.jpg

My wife and I have become big fans of Penny Dreadful, on Showtime. Airs immediately after Game of Thrones.

It is currently on its third season. Frankly I don't know if anyone could pick it up and get into it without watching the previous seasons.

The premise is dead simple and honestly pretty silly: in early 20th Century London, monsters are real. Vampires, witches, Satan, and so forth. Evil lurks around every dark, dreary corner. The cast consists of an assortment of classic literary monsters such as Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, Dracula, Dr. Jekkyl, and so forth, aligned variously on the sides of good and evil. But most characters are decidedly gray, not black and white.

There's nothing new in this, one could argue that the awful movie with Sean Connery did more or less the same thing several years ago. But what sets this apart is great writing, which keeps getting better each season, and a deep cast who are taking their material very seriously. Rory Kinnear is doing the best portrayal of the Frankenstein monster I've ever watched. Eva Green, the principal character, is doing a heck of a job too. Even Josh Hartnett, an actor I've never really liked, is decent as the Wolfman.

It doesn't have the mind blowing moments of Game of Thrones, but from top to bottom it is a darn good urban fantasy that is worth staying up an extra hour, after Jon Snow finishes brooding at the camera.

Right at the moment, I'm wrapping up Law & Order: SVU ... its the season finale.

Coming right up is Chicago PD ... also their season finale.

Current shows (both on hiatus though): The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead
Reality shows: The Last Alaskans, Naked and Afraid
Netflix: Luther (just finished Series 3), The Killing, Jessica Jones, River, Broadchurch, Happy Valley

If you can watch Netflix, the crime shows they offer are the best.

Other than Game of Thrones, I'm watching Doctor Thorne. Fans of Downton Abbey would like the show; both are created by Julian Fellowes.

Legion

Staff member
Just finished the third season of Peaky Blinders. That show is getting better and better. At this point I would rate it a couple of notches above Boardwalk Empire.

I'm not too into TV. The wife "binge" watches stuff on Netflix in bed at night. Currently she's doing "Bones". Previously there was Daredevil, Jessica Jones, all the Marvel stuff, Longmire, Hell on Wheels, I could go on.

The only thing I watch is Game of Thrones and Better Call Saul.

HBO's new crime drama, The Night Of, looks like it may be pretty good. John Turturro and a fairly deep cast are billed; HBO seems to be trying to recapture some of the magic of True Detective Season One.

The only downside is the plot treads on dangerous ground: apparently it has something to do with a middle eastern immigrant being jailed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. If done tastefully and with restraint, it could be an interesting show; if done as just another political agenda mouthpiece, I won't bother past the first episode.

American Pickers
American Restoration....... I like the new format with three shops. Dale at Wheels through Time is the best, going to Maggie Valley soon.
Antiques Roadshow
Shark Tank
This Old House
Ask This Old House
The Kitchen
The Kitchen Sink

Bad Blood S2 on Netflix, followed by S5 of Black Mirror.

Bad Blood is about the Montreal Mob under the Rizzuto's, and afterwards.

Top Bottom