What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I have finally tried Escudo for the first time. My first tin was 2 yrs. old this month, I had been holding out for it to reach this age. While it was very good, I can't say I was totally blown away. Perhaps all the hype lead me to expect nirvana. But I will surely enjoy it and the many tins I have aging.

Really?

You smoked it too fast. You smoked it too slow. It was too wet. It was too dry. You need a smaller bowl. You need a bigger bowl. You were supposed to fold and stuff it. You have to rub it out. You have to pack it tighter. You need to pack it looser.

:).

You need to use a cob. You need to use a Briar. You need to use Meerschaum.

I think that covers it all?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup I did it all wrong. Shredded two coins, stuffed too tight in too big of a bowl. Wasn't dry enough and had to puff too hard at first to keep it lit. I'll probably hit nirvana next time!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
To be honest I cellar a lot of blends in the hope that I eventually will “get it”. One fear that compels me to cellar is that in ten years I will achieve Master Piper status and be able to tease out all the favors from aged tobacco, and only have big conglomerate OTC’s available to smoke.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Yup I did it all wrong. Shredded two coins, stuffed too tight in too big of a bowl. Wasn't dry enough and had to puff too hard at first to keep it lit. I'll probably hit nirvana next time!

I bought 45 tins of it before I tried it for the first time. I finally cracked a 4 year old tin of it last year. While I thought it was very good, I can think of at least a couple Va/Per's that I would prefer over Escudo.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I have finally tried Escudo for the first time. My first tin was 2 yrs. old this month, I had been holding out for it to reach this age. While it was very good, I can't say I was totally blown away. Perhaps all the hype lead me to expect nirvana. But I will surely enjoy it and the many tins I have aging.

Still have a year to go on mine before I will pop one open and try it at the 2 year mark as well. I have been smoking some 6 year old Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, which has been quite good imo, and compares somewhat to Escudo from what I have read?

I think some age really does mellow out that big spicy peppery hit that fresh Perique has. Still, I got that same hit about 3/4 way down the bowl. Seems more welcoming to my taste buds for me that far down, instead of getting that spicy bite right from the get go.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I dunno that I'll accrue 45 tins, but I'll keep adding them to each order to round up to free shipping.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
SP is $95, but Paypal is $99 for interest free for 6 months! My usual orders run just over a C note!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
To be honest I cellar a lot of blends in the hope that I eventually will “get it”. One fear that compels me to cellar is that in ten years I will achieve Master Piper status and be able to tease out all the favors from aged tobacco, and only have big conglomerate OTC’s available to smoke.

I do much the same, my fear is it will all be illegal or unobtainium due to price or having gone the way of McClelland.

Just tried GL Pease Key Largo for the first time, and was really impressed. It required several relights, which was probably due to my cadence (I'm still learning). I thought the taste was great and it gave me a good nic hit, although not too much. Glad I bought a tin of this stuff.

Been smoking Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic on and off for the past month even though I hardly ever smoke aromatics (Rattray's Exotic Passion is one exception though).

I love the aroma and flavors but I'm getting some tongue bite occasionally. Funny part is almost all reviews I read say they never get any bite at all.

Well, yesterday I tried PS Luxury Bullseye Flake for the first time and loved it. (In fact I put in another order right away but it may be delayed due to Florence)

Today, for the first time, I tried C&D Bayou Morning and PS English Luxury. I really enjoyed the English Luxury. The Bayou Morning was good but I wasn’t wowed.

As I write this, I’m enjoying a bowl of FVF/LBF leftovers from my previous bowls, let’s call it pre rubbed. Taste great.

As far as the minimum purchase at SP, I’ve been keeping my purchases to 7oz in the hope of passing customs uninjured. (But if I do get hit, at least the damage will be minimal). Base shipping internationally (Canada) only runs me $4-$5, so not really with it to risk a couple hundred in duties for the free shipping. I’ll just order frequently. :001_rolle

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Opened up a newly acquired tin of Presbyterian Mixture last night. Seemed very smooth and mellow straight from the tin into a pipe. Nice creamy smoke. Not Latakia forward like I'm used too. Very neutral, but still a nice smoke in an indistinguishable sorta way.

That’s great to hear. I have a nice stash waiting in the cellar to age.
Opened up a newly acquired tin of Presbyterian Mixture last night. Seemed very smooth and mellow straight from the tin into a pipe. Nice creamy smoke. Not Latakia forward like I'm used too. Very neutral, but still a nice smoke in an indistinguishable sorta way.

Good to hear @OkieStubble , just received my 5 tins worth, probably be awhile before I check mine out.

Top Bottom