What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Gonna pop a tin I received from @Tommy Tutone to see what the fuss over Elizabethan is all about! :).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gah!!! I can smell sweet Apricot and figs in the tin note. If tastes half as good as it smells I will have to give up a recent pipe I wanted and cellar some Elizabethan before it’s too late.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Opened a tin of Haunted Bookshop. Bought it after reading all the hype. I was disappointed.

It probably had little to no flavor and reminded you of cigarettes?

I had a similar first experience as well, but mine was with Briar Fox. It was bitter and not enjoyable at all. At the time I really enjoyed hearty Latakia Blends and some VaPers as well.
Later on, as I slowed down my cadence and smoked some stronger but similar blends like Old Joe Krantz I began to tease out the flavors that eluded me before. Nutty, bready, woodsy, with some figgy,musty flavors from the Perique. Some retrohaling will help to bring out the flavors too.

My advice would be to jar it up and revisit every so often. It’s a great blend, but it is definitely a YMMV.

Anyone else already tried the Burley Flake #5 by C&D?
I find it to be irritatingly sour... it overshadows almost all of the tobacco (a vinegar-ish sourness that I'm used by C&/Ds DFKentucky, but this time it's extremely strong!) for the first half of the bowl, only getting milder in the 2nd half... strange, isnt it?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I find it to be irritatingly sour... it overshadows almost all of the tobacco (a vinegar-ish sourness that I'm used by C&/Ds DFKentucky, but this time it's extremely strong!) for the first half of the bowl, only getting milder in the 2nd half... strange, isnt it?

I have several tins, but don’t remember it having that profile. Very strange, although you have a much more refined palate than I do.

I just get dark fired goodness. Not sour at all. Email C&D if your second/third bowl still have it.

I have several tins, but don’t remember it having that profile. Very strange, although you have a much more refined palate than I do.
Nah, it's not a "subtle whiff of a note", it's really, really sour! Very irritating, I thought maybe the flake is like that, but it seems its not.

I ordered via SPc, last time i contacted them when I had a moldy tin, they replaced it albeit me being a german...nice!

I recently tried two new to me blends - C&D Opening Night and SPC Plum Pudding. Opening Night was my first straight Virginia (I'm still a new pipe smoker), and I definitely got the sweet hay taste, which I liked. My complaint was that it burned really hot, which I guess is typical of Virginias? The Plum Pudding was fantastic! I loved the flavor of this one. I had to relight quite a few times. I broke up a cake and let it dry out for about an hour prior to smoking, but I wonder if it needed more drying.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I recently tried two new to me blends - C&D Opening Night and SPC Plum Pudding. Opening Night was my first straight Virginia (I'm still a new pipe smoker), and I definitely got the sweet hay taste, which I liked. My complaint was that it burned really hot, which I guess is typical of Virginias? The Plum Pudding was fantastic! I loved the flavor of this one. I had to relight quite a few times. I broke up a cake and let it dry out for about an hour prior to smoking, but I wonder if it needed more drying.
Go real slow with Virginias. This will help with the heat, and with cooler smoke more flavors will pop out.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I love the flavor of Elizabethan, but more often than not I get a heavy nicotine kick from it. Enough for me to put it down. And I'm a long time tobacco user...cigars and pipes (cigars 12 years, pipes 40+ years).

Still on maybe my 4th bowl and while I like it, I’m not sure it’s worth the buy in yet. Hopefully it will stick around long enough for me figure it out :).
I’m finding it smokes really wet for me even though it feels ok to the touch. Will try it out even drier next time.

Still on maybe my 4th bowl and while I like it, I’m not sure it’s worth the buy in yet. Hopefully it will stick around long enough for me figure it out :).
I’m finding it smokes really wet for me even though it feels ok to the touch. Will try it out even drier next time.

Smoked a smaller bowl of Elizabethan last night in a Comoy's Prince and really enjoyed it. It has an Escudo-like taste and tin-aroma.

The tin was about half full and had been opened a number of times. The tobacco dried just enough to make it a one-light smoke. No nic hit either. Glad I have 3 more tins cellared.

Escudo Navy De Luxe in my old Royal Saxon. The coins were a little damp. I probably should have let them dry a bit, but still, a very nice smoke. I've four tins to put on the shelf to age out some but will be enjoying the fifth tin!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I have finally tried Escudo for the first time. My first tin was 2 yrs. old this month, I had been holding out for it to reach this age. While it was very good, I can't say I was totally blown away. Perhaps all the hype lead me to expect nirvana. But I will surely enjoy it and the many tins I have aging.

Top Bottom