What's new

What to carry things in...?

The Timbuk2 EULA is perfect...it's a little pricey at $50, but is very rugged, practical and nice to the eyes..

Bags are difficult. When cycling I carry a Deuter 850 Superlight. When walking I have either a "Haversack, black" (£5) or a cordura medibag (£30), both from British Army Surplus. The haversack's as anonymous as you can get and the medibag's brilliant if a bit small. You run the risk of looking a bit "lifestyle" or metroman when you spend a lot on a bag, which is a shame.

For the Timbuk2 fans, I thought I'd share a bag I just found (didn't see it mentioned when searching the site) by a company that was started by Timbuk2 founder & CEO, Rob Honeycutt & Mark Dwight.

Kinda pricey, but have some neat features:

http://www.rickshawbags.com

A big thumbs up for Filson here as well. Their stuff is pricey. Oh lets be honest, it is flatly over priced. Yet it is very good. They used to have a photo of the medium field bag tied to an A frame with a 1600cc Volkswagen engine laying in it. Their stuff is well built I will give you that. I have one of their wildfowl caps. Excellent quality and all natural fibres throughout. You can pull the folded up flaps directly down over your ears or unbuckle the strap and pull it all the way down so as to buckle it around your neck for further protection. When I bought mine a dozen years ago it was a patch over $40 U.S. Now they run $62.50! Overpriced? Yes and no. Mine was well worth it since I used it whilst moving snow on an open tractor with a snow plow. It really kept the howling wind off of my ears. But yeah, sixty plus for a cap is very pricey. Some of the jackets and luggage are astronomical. I still love the brand though.

Regards, Todd

proxy.php

A man purse is a completely different accessory than a hard/soft briefcase or a messenger bag.

I think it comes down to the context in which you use said bag. A guy carrying a bag to work, school or on a trip will be carrying a messenger bag. If a guy were to be strolling around the city while toting a bag just window shopping or meeting friends, someone could call that a "man purse". I personally don't like this term because I think it is both cliche and silly. If you need to carry a bag around when not going to work or school, do what makes you happy.

I'm rather fond of satchels.

It may be a bit informal for your needs, but I've been carrying one of these for years:

proxy.php

The shoulder strap is a bit short, but it's as utilitarian as all get-out. I actually bought this at Banana Republic back in the early 1980s when it was a really great store.

PD, what is the size of that front pocket? Looks like it'd be almost perfect for a Moleskine or something similar.

My brother saw my Goats leather satchel that I use to store my insulin and diabetec stuff, so I need to have it with me everywhere I go.

He says sneeringly: Is that your man bag?
Before I can answer, his wife exclaims: What? You wear a fanny pack!
He goes a bit red, and says: No, it's called a money belt.

We all dig in, and speculate that unless something has a macho name, he cannot wear it. So instead of a Man-Bag, he would call it a Tough Pack, or a Stubble Maker.

Only a man insecure in his masculinity would worry about not wearing/doing something that may not prescribe to the narrow spectrum of modern machismo. Wear what you want, damnation!

I've carried a Lands End Square Rigger soft case for years now. Handles, 2" shoulder strap, and loops for a small umbrella.

I have a Hardy Test bag that I used as my fishing bag, but when my north face day bag went down, I began carrying it to school/work (grad student). It fits my laptop perfectly along with a couple of notebooks and all the necessary pencils and pens as well. I have received more compliments from pretty young ladies compared to any bag I have ever carried. Best thing going!

Oh, and it is made by Chapman, but they have different buckles which I liked more than the Chapman Troutbeck. Plus, I have a real love affair for the House of Hardy.

I've been seeing men with messenger bags all over the place here. I would have got one but I think at one stage Carlson Cressley (the Queer Eye fellow) referred to them as "Fag Sacks" and so now I am put off them for life.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My brother saw my Goats leather satchel that I use to store my insulin and diabetec stuff, so I need to have it with me everywhere I go.

He says sneeringly: Is that your man bag?
Before I can answer, his wife exclaims: What? You wear a fanny pack!
He goes a bit red, and says: No, it's called a money belt.

We all dig in, and speculate that unless something has a macho name, he cannot wear it. So instead of a Man-Bag, he would call it a Tough Pack, or a Stubble Maker.

Only a man insecure in his masculinity would worry about not wearing/doing something that may not prescribe to the narrow spectrum of modern machismo. Wear what you want, damnation!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO38rf1m0FU[/YOUTUBE]

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom