What's new

Bic chrome platinum - WOW!

Just took delivery of my birthday present to myself, 200 Bic CP’s and 200 Derby Extras. I was excited to try the Bics based on reading multiple reviews and watching as many YT videos.

I paired the first blade with my Merkur 34C, as I find that I can get a good feel for how a blade performs in this razor. Was going to use a fatip piccolo V1 but decided if the CP’s were as sharp as many have suggested then this might be overkill.

First pass WTG - nice and smooth cutting with only minor resistance from a tough spot on my chin, no blood or irritation. Probably could have stopped the shave at this point and had an acceptable shave, but chose to carry on.

Second pass XTG - a little bit of irritation around the neck and some minor cuts/weepers but overall a very close cut. No need for a third pass as I had got a DFS. Post shave was a hot rinse, some witch hazel and tea tree toner followed by a cold rinse and some Nivea sensitive ASB.

To me these blades feel like the old style Gillette yellows - a very efficient/smooth cutting action and only 2 passes needed for a great shave, something that most other blades struggle to achieve on my beard and face. Note that I find new Gillette yellows to be not nearly as sharp. I might even say the CP’s are sharper again than old Gillettes right out of the packet.

Time will tell as to how long these last, although I’m not really too concerned about durability as they cost so little by comparison (£0.09 per blade, similar cost to Voskhod which I love and have around 150 of in my collection).

So if anyone is on the fence about these and were looking for a suitable alternative/replacement for the old Gillettes, the bics might just be your new blade…

Thanks,

R.

Just took delivery of my birthday present to myself, 200 Bic CP’s and 200 Derby Extras. I was excited to try the Bics based on reading multiple reviews and watching as many YT videos.

I paired the first blade with my Merkur 34C, as I find that I can get a good feel for how a blade performs in this razor. Was going to use a fatip piccolo V1 but decided if the CP’s were as sharp as many have suggested then this might be overkill.

First pass WTG - nice and smooth cutting with only minor resistance from a tough spot on my chin, no blood or irritation. Probably could have stopped the shave at this point and had an acceptable shave, but chose to carry on.

Second pass XTG - a little bit of irritation around the neck and some minor cuts/weepers but overall a very close cut. No need for a third pass as I had got a DFS. Post shave was a hot rinse, some witch hazel and tea tree toner followed by a cold rinse and some Nivea sensitive ASB.

To me these blades feel like the old style Gillette yellows - a very efficient/smooth cutting action and only 2 passes needed for a great shave, something that most other blades struggle to achieve on my beard and face. Note that I find new Gillette yellows to be not nearly as sharp. I might even say the CP’s are sharper again than old Gillettes right out of the packet.

Time will tell as to how long these last, although I’m not really too concerned about durability as they cost so little by comparison (£0.09 per blade, similar cost to Voskhod which I love and have around 150 of in my collection).

So if anyone is on the fence about these and were looking for a suitable alternative/replacement for the old Gillettes, the bics might just be your new blade…

Thanks,

R.
How do they compare to the Derbys?

I tried the BCP and liked them enough to pick up 50. I usually stick to Derby Premium and Treet Platinum, but since the BCP left me smooth with no irritation, I added them to the collection.

They are perhaps the next in line after the Feather for sharpness. I find their shave quality to be smooth. Most feel they last longer than the Feathers. Yet they are half the price of the Feathers.

The 34c is a milder version of the DE89/R89 razor (modern). It pairs well with the CP.

I really had high expectations when I received a tuck of the Bics, maybe I got a bad batch, they just did not seem smooth and left me with some irritation.

Hell yeah!!
Congrats on discovering this most amazing blade!

It has overtaken polsilver/Wizamet as my favourite blade.

My warning to potential buyers is lookout for the yellow packaging, that's the one you want.

The orange packaging is reported to be much less sharp and smooth, which correlates with my experience also!

Hell yeah!!
Congrats on discovering this most amazing blade!

It has overtaken polsilver/Wizamet as my favourite blade.

My warning to potential buyers is lookout for the yellow packaging, that's the one you want.

The orange packaging is reported to be much less sharp and smooth, which correlates with my experience also!
I have both. Full Orange, full yellow. There are packages half orange half yellow. Like a fading effect or something.

I truly believe this is not related to the blade quality. I just think it’s a factory print variation.

I’ve had bad ones, but from all kinds of packaging colors.

This isn’t a certainty of course, just my observation.

But I’ll keep that in mind, who knows…

I have both. Full Orange, full yellow. There are packages half orange half yellow. Like a fading effect or something.

I truly believe this is not related to the blade quality. I just think it’s a factory print variation.

I’ve had bad ones, but from all kinds of packaging colors.

This isn’t a certainty of course, just my observation.

But I’ll keep that in mind, who knows…

I used two tucks of the orange and it wasn't a good experience.

I've gone through 50+ yellow tucks and haven't had a single bad blade yet.

I would like to think it's just packaging variation but my experience tells me otherwise.

I used two tucks of the orange and it wasn't a good experience.

I've gone through 50+ yellow tucks and haven't had a single bad blade yet.

I would like to think it's just packaging variation but my experience tells me otherwise.
That’s interesting indeed. I’ll keep an eye for that…

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
Bic CPs are the most razor dependent blade I've tried. I hated them in my DE89, they felt like a tuna can lid, was meh but passable about them in my 34c but loved them in my 3one6, they were so smooth! Easily the smoothest I've used, but seemingly a hair too sharp as I had a bunch of red dots/blotches on my face afterwards. I'll keep going back to them from time to time to see if there's any changes, but my search for a blade that smooth with an appropriate level of sharpness for me continues.

They are my favorite so far out of many I've tried. Gillette Silver Blue isn't bad either. My facial hair isn't that heavy and I'm currently seeing how many shaves I can get from one. So far in a mild Yintal 3-peice I'm up to 5 shaves and it's still doing great. A couple of those were doing both the drapes and carpet in the shower. I was tossing blades after 2 shaves just because I have so many blade/razor combinations I like to fool with. But in order to gauge how long my blade stash will last I decided to see how many uses I can get from them. I'm not sure about tuck colors. My first 100 pack was the large flat folding type. The next 2 I ordered are smaller boxes full of tucks. No problems with any of them so far.

Top Bottom