What's new

What tin/jar are you cracking?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I need to get through about 20 samples and 4 open tins, but I noticed that I didn't have any burley blends open. So, I cracked a tin of Peterson University Flake that I've have since early May 2016. It reminds me of a tame version of 3P's. I'll be looking forward to trying it in the next week or so.

McCl Jubilee from 2008
IMG_20180111_215605.jpg

Moving a few things around to try to make some space in the chest, I noticed that one of my tins of Jack Knife Plug was starting to bulge, so I opened it up.

1516319330928983501965.jpg

Okay, so it really wasn't bulging that much, and the choice may or may not have been influenced by recent discussion of the ready rubbed in other threads...

Moving a few things around to try to make some space in the chest, I noticed that one of my tins of Jack Knife Plug was starting to bulge, so I opened it up.

View attachment 853631

Okay, so it really wasn't bulging that much, and the choice may or may not have been influenced by recent discussion of the ready rubbed in other threads...
Looks like you wouldn't like it... Feel free to PIF it.

Yeah I forgot how potent this stuff is. I didn't eat lunch today, and as I got down toward the bottom of the bowl I got a pretty good punch of vitamin N. Had to grab a quick bite of chocolate.
Sounds like a few blends I have opened, that will not see finished for a LONG time due to that sort of issue. lol

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I got my 4 tins of hysteria St James Woods in today so I am debating opening one from last year today. I already have a buttocks load of open tobacco, but then again adding one more jar is a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I got my 4 tins of hysteria St James Woods in today so I am debating opening one from last year today. I already have a buttocks load of open tobacco, but then again adding one more jar is a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking.

I'd say let it be. A VA/Per will benefit from aging.

Those are 8oz tins, iirc? When I run into that, I'll open one, pull an ounce an set it aside to smoke now, then jar the other 7 ounces up split among a few smaller jars to start back up with aging.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Those are 8oz tins, iirc? When I run into that, I'll open one, pull an ounce an set it aside to smoke now, then jar the other 7 ounces up split among a few smaller jars to start back up with aging.

I wish! 3.5oz

I popped a 2yo tin of C&D After Hours Flake. The tin note reminds me a lot of Speakeasy. It claims to have some caramel in the topping, but that isn't coming through at all so far to my nose from the tin.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Eh, I'd still do that with one of those. I resist cracking open the 1.76 oz tins to sample, but larger than that, I'll bust one open and just re-jar the rest back into the cellar.

Yup, did exactly that, and smoking some now. It’s good, but frankly all my blends I like lol. I don’t think I am good enough at smoking yet to get my socks blown off. Maybe by Christmas this year.

Kent, you and I seem to be in the same boat. Since I’ve recently gotten back into pipes, I’ve laid in a short inventory of well liked tobaccos and I’ve been cracking them all open. While they’re all enjoyable, I’ve been enjoying Cult Embassy the most - Bob’s Chocolate Flake second. Apparently, I like aromatics and lakelands. But then I also like latakia blends so really, there is no rhyme or reason to what I like to smoke. I like taste and these seem to deliver the most of that.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kent, you and I seem to be in the same boat. Since I’ve recently gotten back into pipes, I’ve laid in a short inventory of well liked tobaccos and I’ve been cracking them all open. While they’re all enjoyable, I’ve been enjoying Cult Embassy the most - Bob’s Chocolate Flake second. Apparently, I like aromatics and lakelands. But then I also like latakia blends so really, there is no rhyme or reason to what I like to smoke. I like taste and these seem to deliver the most of that.

Let’s see how far we get by Christmas.

One youtuber tasted fruits and cloves and cream and a whole lot of other things in a McClelland VaPer
Blend. I have no idea what I tasted lol!!

If you are liking aro's and latakia blends, I'd highly suggest you check out Cult Conspiracy. Aromatic latakia blend. :)

Let’s see how far we get by Christmas.

One youtuber tasted fruits and cloves and cream and a whole lot of other things in a McClelland VaPer
Blend. I have no idea what I tasted lol!!

I hear you. I guess my tastes are less refined because I’m finding the vapers sort of one dimensional and hard on the tongue. And it’s not because I’m smoking them too fast. If I smoked any slower, I’d have to speed up to stop. I can smell the notes in the tin and jar but they don’t come through in the retrohale.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I hear you. I guess my tastes are less refined because I’m finding the vapers sort of one dimensional and hard on the tongue. And it’s not because I’m smoking them too fast. If I smoked any slower, I’d have to speed up to stop. I can smell the notes in the tin and jar but they don’t come through in the retrohale.

You might like Stonhenge Flake. It has just the faint wisp of Lakeland that might do it for you.

It took me a fair amount of time before I started to get VA/VAPers as well. I always found them pretty biting and acidic on the tongue. Revisit them periodically, they may still start to click with you eventually.

If you are liking aro's and latakia blends, I'd highly suggest you check out Cult Conspiracy. Aromatic latakia blend. :)

I've got 6 tins of Blood Red Moon, 6 of Embassy, and 1 each of Anonymous and Conspiracy. I love them all and will be laying in more tins.

You might like Stonhenge Flake. It has just the faint wisp of Lakeland that might do it for you.

I'll try a tin of it. Thanks for the tip.

It took me a fair amount of time before I started to get VA/VAPers as well. I always found them pretty biting and acidic on the tongue. Revisit them periodically, they may still start to click with you eventually.

I have to stick with it cause I bought a rectal load of them. I'm enjoying them more as I go. I may end up mixing a little aro and/or latakia with them to amp the taste up a little. I'm having fun.

Top Bottom