What's new

What tin/jar are you cracking?

Opened a tin of Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired from Jan 2016 today. Light rust all around the inside rim of the tin, but luckily the vacuum seal was still intact.

proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Cracked open a 2013 tin of escudo navy deluxe, purchased today. The b&m price was $18, but he did age it for me.:001_302:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I opened my first tin of G.L. Pease Embarcadero, just a few months of age, so essentially fresh. Its a broken flake, Va. red and Izmir, and I tried folding and stuffing the shreds. It was a little moist, so I miked it first for 15 sec. Still had trouble keeping it lit. A little sweetness and a little spicy at first, then became a bit harsh. I believe this one needs to breath a bit and then be jarred up for a while perhaps. The jury is still out.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yup, pretty standard if you're too impatient to wait while something air dries. Be careful though, 15 sec. was almost too much for about two bowls worth of flakes. I usually only do this for flakes, loose tobacco air dries fast enough for me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMO the leaf dries as it cools, so test it for moisture after it cools, not how it feels right after the nuke.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Looks is deceiving.

Still needed a good 30 minutes separated and laid out before I could think about stuffing it in a pipe.

I still lack the skill to determine the moisture content of flake tobacco. I might invest in an instant read moisture meter for fun.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I still lack the skill to determine the moisture content of flake tobacco. I might invest in an instant read moisture meter for fun.
It is all about feel, not looks. Mess around enough, and you begin to get it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm more heavily invested in Marlin Flake, but this is pretty darned tasty.

I have both Marlin and Hal of the same vintage and I like Hal a lot. Marlin is good too and will adding a pound or so when it comes back in stock.

I have both Marlin and Hal of the same vintage and I like Hal a lot. Marlin is good too and will adding a pound or so when it comes back in stock.
I have a couple tins of HOTW & one Marlin from 2012, plus a couple pounds of Marlin from 2015-16. Tobaccocellar says I have 83 years in my cellar, so I've been cutting back significantly on tobacco purchases lately.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a couple tins of HOTW & one Marlin from 2012, plus a couple pounds of Marlin from 2015-16. Tobaccocellar says I have 83 years in my cellar, so I've been cutting back significantly on tobacco purchases lately.

I have come to my senses and barring any sudden influx of Germaine’s tobacco coming through the HH Burley and Marlin Flake will likely be the last large cellaring I will do. Although with my flake cutter the plugs have become a lot more enticing now. Kinda wish all the manufacturers would sell plug forms of their tobacco. I would love a couple pounds of FVF plug or HH Lat and Bur plugs.

Top Bottom