What's new

What Strop did you use today? Pictures please

Blue Dawid Saczuk

IMG_2113.jpeg

IMG_6177.jpeg

Tony Miller's 3" Heirloom Old No.2 smooth steer now paired with his 'stop the presses, shout it from the house tops' superb new cotton component.

I don't know if this will become my favorite strop, but thanks to the cotton I'm having the most fun when I grab this combo off my modern strop rack.

Never thought a cow would outrun my horsies.

Still Vintage April, so...

A few days back:
IMG_6218.jpeg

I added Tony Miller's new light linen component to this strop. My 3" Heirloom strops are currently matched as follows:
smooth and rough horsehide - Tony Miller old style 3" linen
rough steer - the excellent 3" new TM hemp
smooth steer - the fantastic 3" new TM cotton

The new TM linen is a good , fully functional strop material, but a little narrower than 3" and a bit light for my taste. It will enhance this Japanese strop that had no fabric component and is also narrower than 3".

The new 3" TM hemp is an excellent alternative to linen, very similar to the old TM linen in draw, weight, width and color. The old 3" cotton is 'on sabbatical'.

Today's vintage strop choice:
IMG_6213.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg

Bottom of stropping side and top of second component:
IMG_6212.jpeg
IMG_6216.jpeg

IMG_6217.jpeg

The "Duplex Self-Honing Leather Canvas" component is strictly a piece of leather with coarsely and and finely dimpled sides. No canvas involved. It doesn't appear to be charged with an abrasive compound at this point in its life. I've been reviving the main "Shell Finish" component. More work remains. The Leather Canvas component seems just right 'as is' after just a little Fromm treatment.

Here are my three strops. Norwegian Scrupleworks shell cordovan 3 inch; Ezra Arthur English Bridle leather 3 inch and Red Imp 700C which I have just reconditioned, washed the linen over night and put lots of Fromm dressing on the leather. Good for another 50 years. The Scrupleworks cordovan has no feeling of draw at all, the E. Arthur medium draw and the Red Imp with a rather heavier draw. The linen in Red Imp is heavy and very high quality, fire hose weight.

Attachments

•  three strops.JPG
    three strops.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom