What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Crown and Sword with fresh coti edge.
Cella
Excelsior boar
Nivea

Wonderful shave
0ADEC54E-6A98-4377-B3E1-B470814B42E1.jpeg

Geneva Pyramid 7. The 60 laps each 50/100/200k diamond/balsa made a huge difference. Now it is a good shaver, equivalent to a better quality factory edge (my Aust, Dovo Carre). This razor is on the way to justifying my high expectations. It is the least used, never honed, closest to NOS, of any of my USA vintage razors. The photo below doesn't do it justice.

My honing originated with Method lapping film and now is firmly established with short step synthetic waterstones. The razors I used without pasted stropping have been factory edges, and the edges others have finished for me. Today I have solid evidence of how important the diamond stropping has been to my personal honing results.

11F61F7E-F644-47A6-9DBD-FF164FA6F454.jpeg

Thorough prep probably contributed as well. Two passes and some noodling around while learning how to maintain the new goatee lines.
Klenzo badger and bristle vintage mixed knot
Mama Bear's Mandarin Ice - refreshing brush wash
RazoRock Orange Sunrise - lather

Mostly British. Joseph Rodgers 7/8 near wedge, Semogue 2000, D.R. Harris Almond and D.R. Harris Arlington.

The Joseph Rodgers is smoother than smooth. The almond soap has no scent - nice but not what I expected in terms of scent. I really like the Arlington - the scent does not hit you over the head like some stink bombs do. And the soap fits perfectly in the 1-cup Pyrex bowl.

Very pleasant Saturday afternoon shave!

1643500121571.png

Pulled out the big dog today. I’m learning to appreciate the CH2 for what it is. It definitely needs a different approach than my other brushes. You have to be quite heavy handed and it requires a bigger bowl to get a lather going. The brush rewards mashing with a massage effect that’s lacking from my other brushes. A true wall of badger. Really enjoying the Musgo.

A2D92986-E58C-4838-951F-F36875C6454F.jpeg

I would keep playing with finishing the edge on this razor and you should be rewarded with smooth shaves.
Hey, thanks for your encouragement! Yeah, still experimenting...now only using the pasted balsa strops for some of my SRs but somehow although the edge is keen, it's also kinda harsh especially for the neck. I recently invested in a Naniwa 12k since there was some discounted sale...let's see how it goes...

Hey, thanks for your encouragement! Yeah, still experimenting...now only using the pasted balsa strops for some of my SRs but somehow although the edge is keen, it's also kinda harsh especially for the neck. I recently invested in a Naniwa 12k since there was some discounted sale...let's see how it goes...

I find that my Naniwa 12k produces sharp and smooth edges. Enjoy!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
....now only using the pasted balsa strops for some of my SRs but somehow although the edge is keen, it's also kinda harsh especially for the neck. ....
Are you finishing each balsa stropping session with about a dozen short X stroke laps? That really ups the comfort level on a pasted balsa strop edge for most.

Are you finishing each balsa stropping session with about a dozen short X stroke laps? That really ups the comfort level on a pasted balsa strop edge for most.

Hey, thanks! Yup...I did...followed your instructions to the letter...always end with X stroke laps.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hey, thanks! Yup...I did...followed your instructions to the letter...always end with X stroke laps.
Then I am having trouble trying to determine why you are experiencing harshness particular on the neck.

The neck can be notoriously difficult to shave due to its shape, sensitive skin and tough whiskers. It took me about 300 SR shaves to be able to master that patch of shaving with a SR.

I started by just aiming for a SAS on the neck. Once that was a regular achievement, I aimed for a CCS result. With that achieved, the next step was a DFS result. I can now get a BBS neck but don't want that as I have no challenge on the neck next shave.

Provided your edge is at optimal keenness, it boils down to developing the best technique for your neck. Every neck is different.

Here are some threads on SR neck shaving.

Last edited:
@oscar11, Did your Satin Edge show signs of cell rot and, therefore, the replacement scales?

I ask because I recently had my first encounter with cell rot on a Satin Wedge and was retold about Dubl Duck's being notorious for cell rot.

Top Bottom