What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Matt I'm afraid that I've spent too much of my allowance on incoming fancy straight razors and the rest of it I spent on the cub's Christmas gifts. So I'm afraid that I'm kind of short on cash... Don't ever ask where a polar bear keeps his money you won't like the answer.

View attachment 932412 .
That photo made my wife tear up. If she only knew the evil lying there....

Arne that's gorgeous!!

I'm a sucker for nice bolsters and those are perfect. About how many razors are in your collection right now?

Thank you Dean and Matt for the kind words.:001_smile I bought the Arbolito new a couple of years ago. Böker razors are always good, but adding the extra money for this high end razor was worth it. It is excellent. The same goes for the new Dovo Bergischer Löwe; expensive but definitely a step up in quality.

The answer to your question Matt is embarrassing; I honestly don't know, but a rough estimation is that my rotation is about 100 - 110 razors give or take a few. My historical collection, that I rarely shave with, contains about 50 razors and then then there's a bunch of razors, let's say 30, that awaits restoration, honing or new original scales when I find them. So all in all not quite 200.

Butcher Bros.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank you Dean and Matt for the kind words.:001_smile I bought the Arbolito new a couple of years ago. Böker razors are always good, but adding the extra money for this high end razor was worth it. It is excellent. The same goes for the new Dovo Bergischer Löwe; expensive but definitely a step up in quality.

The answer to your question Matt is embarrassing; I honestly don't know, but a rough estimation is that my rotation is about 100 - 110 razors give or take a few. My historical collection, that I rarely shave with, contains about 50 razors and then then there's a bunch of razors, let's say 30, that awaits restoration, honing or new original scales when I find them. So all in all not quite 200.

I was thinking you had somewhere around that number, but I guessed you had closer to 150 in your rotation. I’m sure you still have more razors which I’ve never seen, even after following your posts for years.
My self, my modest den contains about 30-40 in my rotation and an abysmal 30-40 in my restoration/cleanup/honing pile.... I currently have no historical pile, but one day I might.
One day, you should take us all for a tour of your historical collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Polar bears likes candy. Nothing beats a chocolate dipped seal. I only have one Bengall, very much like yours, it's very nice indeed. I might just see if I can find another one.
This is my only one but has proven to be my finest shaver. It was NOS - likely made in the 1960s. Hmmm, seal fondue - interesting.

Hey, I’m just a Schnauzer - hors doeuvres to you.
I don't eat dogs, not even charming ones, it's too much cholesterol.
I was thinking you had somewhere around that number, but I guessed you had closer to 150 in your rotation. I’m sure you still have more razors which I’ve never seen, even after following your posts for years.
My self, my modest den contains about 30-40 in my rotation and an abysmal 30-40 in my restoration/cleanup/honing pile.... I currently have no historical pile, but one day I might.
One day, you should take us all for a tour of your historical collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can send you a couple of photos of my straight razor room.

Time to start using those that are not as pretty, most of what I've seen posted from you are in "like new" shape, let's see the other side of that collection. :D
This doesn't sound entirely modest, but there is no other side. All of my razors show up here once in awhile.

32231FEA-1BB0-41CE-A0C7-017A20259191.jpeg
Today I went with my first straight razor I bought around 7 years ago: a 6/8 Dovo Best Quality quart hollow. Recently re-set the bevel and honed it on my norton progression finishing on a coticule, and then just for fun I ran it a few times over a rough cut thuringian(?) I bought recently. It was one of the smoothest shaves I have had yet.

B73777B0-0ED1-4787-A071-1A2EB59598DB.jpeg
D90559AB-0019-4ABF-AAA7-8F8F0021EF48.jpeg
#49 F. Herder/Atomic Rocket

Honed last night and used this morning. I’d be interested in knowing if this metal is harder than most vintage carbon.

Top Bottom