What's new

What should be my next razor?

Hi, all. Currently I use a Merkur HD. I've been getting pretty good shaves with it, but it does not get quite as close as I'd like it to. Very close, but not close enough.

I also have a Vision, which I'm going to have to work up to, since it's rather clunky and difficult for me to handle.

So, what should I try while I'm training for the Vision?

Edit: Crap, just realized that this was supposed to be placed in the Safety Razors folder. Sorry.

No problem, I just move it for you. Back to your question, if you have mastered the HD, you may be ready for a Slant razor. It will give you a shave that is comparable to a straight razor. I caution you though, it can be dangerous in the hands of the untrained. Good luck.

Dangerous... how? I've had some major problems with the Vision. I.E. shredded up lip, cut up neck, razor bumps and burn, etc. I think the reason is because it's so big and I'm just not very nimble, though.

I like a challenge, though.

What's the best place to buy this sucker at?

Thanks for replying.

You can get the Merkur Slant bar at qedusa.com, emsplace.com or leesrazors.com. Compare prices and buy from any of these trusted vendors.

Hey, thanks. While I'm here, though this isn't relevant to this forum, maybe you could recommend a sort of bowl? Right now I use a plastic one and would like to upgrade to something that would keep the lather warmer.

re: Bowl..

The link mentioned above is to the moss scuttle. A very nice item, but at around 65 bucks may be too expensive for some people.

You can try a regular Target cereal bowl. You fill your sink up with hot water and soak your bowl and brush in it while you shower.

You can get a larger second bowl, and do a poor mans scuttle by filling it up with hot water and leaving a cereal bowl in it with your brush and cream.

Also, a newbie just asked the same question here.. I mention something called a "tart burner" in that thread that I'm having good luck with...

Agree as to the Slant being a good next choice. However . . .

It is very hard to resist the urge to look to the next razor. If you are just developing the skills necessary to get a consistent relatively nick-free shave it is very important to not vary your razor and prep too much.

It sounds like you might be more comfortable with a slimmer handle and a lighter set up. The Gillette slim handle adjustable is usually available on EBay for less than $20. The adjustability will allow you to set it to a very conservative setting while you develop your skills.

Personally, I think the ultimate slim handle razor is the 1920's open comb Gillette models-- to me they have the right combo of thin handle, good weighting, and vintage styling. You can get one in good condition for under $20.

Good luck!

Vin

Hi SalvadorMontnegro,

I hope you don't mind a few questions.

How long have you been using the HD?

Have you mastered WTG, ATG, N/S, E/W, and all of that?

Have you experimented with any other blades with the HD?

Maybe you are ready to move on to another razor, but according to your profile, you only joined B&B 9 days ago?

Please understand, I mean no malice towards you whatsoever. If you've been a DE shaver for a while... and, you have tried all of the above... by all means, go for the Slant. After all... we all want the same thing... a BBS shave!

Peace, Brother B&B'er!

chop-chop

Hello again, all.

I would love to have a moss scuttle and at some point I will, but right now I don't know if I can throw down that much money.

scruffy - I agree. I think I'm a little over anxious about simply buying something new. I probably don't really need anything; and probably shouldn't spend the money, either. I just like the idea of fiddling with new toys.

I may try the merkur razor with the long handle that resembles the HD. I don't know if it will give me a closer shave, but it may get me used to a long handle plus keep the small head, which is preferable to the monster on the Vision.

chop-chop - No offense taken. I'm by new means a master or an expert, but I'm more experienced than my registration date would suggest. I've been at it since September. I just hadn't discovered this place until a few weeks ago.

But, like I said above, you and scruffy are probably right. I'm probably just eager to buy something new.

I'm familiar with all the passes and whatnot. I haven't tried many different blades - I currently use the Feather and have used Merkur's - so maybe that would be a nice new step.

I have very sensitive skin and a very heavy beard as well (an unpleasant combination), so logic would say that I should stick to what I've got for a bit, but I'm also eager to try new things, so... Who knows?

I might just skip buying a new razor (for now) and see if that Moss Scuttle's hotter later doesn't get me a better shave.

After using a Merkur Classic for a few months, I purchased a Slim Adjustable and a Fat Boy shortly after that. Both are great razors. I shave with all three in rotation. With the TTO, changing the blade from one to the other is easy. I just purchased a Schick Injector, which should be in in a few days. I want to get a 40s SS next.

The vision might be a large monster but it is highly adjustable. Do make sure you fiddle with the screw hidden at the bottom to get it to tip-top performance though.

I've been using the vision for nearly six months now and am still improving with new creams, soaps, oils, blades, adjustments, etc.

The slant has a reputation for being very aggressive in the wrong hands, you might do damage to your sensitive skin.

I'd tune up the vision, get a variety of blades and other 'software' and experiment with the two razors you have.

Good luck.

My problem with the Vision is that the razor head is so fat. That makes it very difficult to get at my chin and upper lip, which are my problem areas.

I actually like the Vision's weight for downward strokes, but the heft coupled with the clunky head, make going against the grain on the problem spots a terrifying experience. One slip and I'm wearing a toilet paper mustache or a razor bump goatee.

That said, I think I was a bit too ambitious. I've been using the Vision at the "S" setting and that might be too much. What setting would you say is equivalent to that of the HD? The "O" or maybe the last "N?"

I put a used blade into the Vision this afternoon and fiddled around with the adjustor knob to see what might be a good setting to give me a closer shave than the HD, but not so close that I'm taking off a couple of layers of the epidermis, as well.

I also think that my Vision is defective as I can't align the Merkur logo with the "V" on the knob.

Anyhow, I will most likely experiment with the HD and the Vision before I leap into anything else.

Personally, after 4 months with the Merkur LH and numerous antique Gillette's, I just ordered the Merkur Slant. I'll report back as to how it works for me. I intend to try the Slant with a Feather.

Top Bottom