What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Gillette Heritage
Gillette platinum
20220810_205655.jpg

I didn’t shave this morning, but yesterday I decided to use the first DE razor I ever bought, the Van Der Hagen TTO. (Super Speed clone.)

I put a gently used Feather in it for its ninth use. After getting used to various other razors I could tell right away the VDH definitely had more blade feel. Now after several months of DE shaving, it isn’t the problem it was when I was just starting out.

I shaved the right side of my face with the VDH then switched to a ‘58 Super Speed for the left. The SS has a much smoother feel; less scraping.

Twenty-four hours later though, both sides had the same amount of stubble, so I’d say both razors are just as efficient.

View attachment 1502751
A few years ago I got a Van der Weishi Rick PawnStars razor, primarily for the longer handle & it also came with a stand. I had unused credits with Amazon, so the set on;y cost about $3.00 I like the aggressive handle texture. The shave is little milder than I'm used to, but I get a close & irritation free shave with it, no matter which blade I decide to use. For the money, though, you can get a real Super Speed for a few $ less.

Gillette Slim Adjustable vs Super Adjustable

Tabac Soap
Maseto long handle synthetic brush
3x Rapira LUX
Left Side: Slim @ #8
Right Side: Super Adjustable @ #8

I'm not a great fan of Tabac, since it always seems thin, no matter if I use hard tap water or DI water.

3 passes and both sides feel identically smooth. Both razors have the extra 1/4 " twist.

Some time soon I'd like to compare one of my Super Adjustables to a Black Beauty, just to see if the plastic bottom plate makes any difference in the shave quality.

Date:11.08.2022 Tech Thursday
Razor:Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:King C Gillette (7)
Efficiency:7/10 (25 minutes)
Quality:7/10 (Two tiny weepers)
Comfort:8/10 (Very light redness on the neck)
Effectiveness:8.5/10 (DFS+)

Notes from today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11882323

Excellent shave today! And for the first time I shaved two-handed (left with left and right with right).

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle (228)
Blade: Lord Platinum Classic (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic - 26mm
Pre-shave: Hot shower; Proraso Green Preshave
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: Cool Water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very Smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shave.

This combo beats the Muhle R89 + Gillette Perma-Sharp Super combo in smoothness and comfort.

Shave Summary 20220730

Cheers!!!

Wed 10
Gillette Red Tip A3
American Shave Platinum 2nd
Razor paired with the blade+shim gives a nice mild and quite an efficient shave—3passes for an almost bbs finish...
Thu 11 Just a disposable travel shave set... 1st-time use ever since started with DE back in 2019...
20220810_201514.jpg
20220812_014842.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom