What's new

What precautions are you taking and how's your shaving going?

The gloves when pumping gasoline are a very good idea as well. I had thought of this but I hadn't pumped any gas in several weeks now so it slipped my mind. The gas station by me has Purell dispensers at every pump. They've been there since before this started. The difference now is that I'll actually use them. I'll likely use them once we're past this as well. Maybe we can bring some of the better habits like this with us going forward.

My daughter's friend came by yesterday. She's our best friends daughter. We've known them for several decades and they're basically family. My daughter is sixteen and her friend is about a year and a half older. She rode her bike over and her and my daughter sat in about eight feet apart chatting about how things were different in the old days. I couldn't help seeing some irony in it as both youths sat there discussing the good old days.

You can't be too careful these days. Keep a safe distance even if everyone seems healthy.

Nothing to do with safety and not shaving related but I bought a Breville coffee maker that grinds the beans right before it makes the coffee. I then read a bunch of reviews and bought a ton of different beans to try from Amazon. I have way too many coffee beans on hand at the moment but it's all good. It's been fun trying them. It'll make individual cups like the Keurig did and it's almost automatic, aside from changing the filter. Convenience is a big factor as well.

We were on vacation, a cruise in Hawaii, right before all of this happened, so between buying some really good Kona coffee and spending some time snorkeling in the ocean and wanting to reduce our use of plastics we wanted a better way. Out went the Keurig pods and in came the more environmentally friendly solution. The coffee tastes way, way better from this thing than I've ever gotten from the Keurig, so that's a plus. If nothing else it's something to mess around with while I'm bored.

Being on a cruise ship when all of this stated to escalate was interesting to say the least. When we left it wasn't bad but it got serious while we were out there. They did an outstanding job keeping everyone healthy by constantly cleaning everything as well as constantly hitting us with Purell. They fogged the transportation that was used for excursions between groups as well to kill everything there. While they were wiping down the airports that didn't stop the wife from hitting where we were sitting with some lysol wipes as well. I'm sure this helped us in returning home healthy. We came home to a toilet paper shortage, which was difficult to understand the reasoning behind. I still don't understand it. This was followed by a shortage of cleaning products, this I can understand, and then some difficulty in getting meats as well as some canned items, again understandable. We still secluded ourselves for several weeks after we returned just in case. It definitely sucked to have to keep our distance from our kids for a while.

In terms of interacting with others just assume the person you're encountering has it and take precautions as if they did. The guy from Amazon dropped off a package yesterday and while I was in the yard and could have easily walked over to him I said "Just set it over there please". This is for his safety as well as my own. The less people we come in contact with the better. Also when dealing with others, especially the elderly assume you're a carrier and take precautions for their safety. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Take care of yourselves and your family. Be safe everyone.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Please refrain from discussing medications as that could come across as medical advice. Not saying you can't discuss this but please keep it very generic. For example "My Doctor had me on a medication that had some side effects". Please nothing that someone could try to duplicate in lieu of seeking out professional medical advice. We don't need anyone here drinking fish tank cleaner.
Sorry. Again.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sticking close to home. Minimizing trips but still having to do "stuff".
Explorer needs tires. Have to get it there. Then a 40 mile one-way trip to the market, after that quickly into Target for some "stuff", one other quick stop to pick up (hopefully) some 7.62x39 ammunition. Then glued to the compound for another 7-10 days.
Could be worse...much worse.
You're lucky you can buy ammo in your state. Gun stores are closed here, and nobody will ship to NY. Hate being this low on lead.

The only thing I've changed is my shave interval: from every 2 days to 3/4. All clean-shaven and nowhere to go is a huge bummer!

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add, one good thing about being forced to stay at home is learning new songs on the guitar. I am a person that cannot sit still for the life of me so being forced to sit at home has forced me to learn songs all the way through, not just the first 4 bars!

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I'm 73, retired and live alone, so I'm fairly used to being by myself. What I truly miss is my freedom: not so much going out itself, but the idea of going out at will.

My age, plus a lifetime of pulmonary problems, puts me smack in the crosshairs of the plague, yet I feel strangely sanguine and optimistic. Statistically, the odds are against my ever showing symptoms of caronavirus, let alone dying from it. But who wants to be a statistic? Plus, according to so-called "bio-ethicist" Ezekiel Emanuel's calculus (he of Obamacare fame), I should be allowed two more years on this earth.

Finally did get moving yesterday, though. The weather broke, so I was able to get out for a good, long, hilly hike--the first in several months. Surprisingly, and despite a sedentary winter, I completed my usual tour in reasonable time.

My reading is down, which is surprising. I suppose it's because my preference is to sit in diners, cafes and coffee shops to read. This I've got to change, as I've got a growing stack of books that I look forward to reading. That said, I've been spending too damn much time online reading about the plague. This has definitely got to stop, as it jaundices my mood.

Of course, there are acceptable online pastimes, one of which is B&B. The civility, goodwill and fellowship of the community is a true and good tonic. I may not post all that much, save for likes, and those are all genuine.

Shopping has become a bit of a frustration. We've got a lot of vacation homes hereabouts, and the city folks have hit the supermarket shelves like swarms of locusts. I wish they'd all get bidets. Hell, I wish I had a bidet.

I normally do my grocery and other shopping early in the morning. Always have. So, so-called "senior hours," usually from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. are not an issue. Tomorrow, I plan to glove up and mask up (for the first time) and 1) hit the supermarket at six, and if that doesn't bear fruit, 2) hit Wally's at seven. The things we do to fill our days in retirement. Amazon fills the rest of my material needs.

As for shaving, I still do it regularly as a reaffirmation of my civil sanity. It's the ritual, and not the result, that counts, and I embrace the ritual wholeheartedly, though I'm always aiming for that perfect BBS shave. To spice things up, I've got several new frags on order, and will probably soon order some seasonal soaps and splashes from Stirling. To me, their price/performance point is spot on. My whole goal in going double-edge again was to turn shaving from a chore into a treat. Smelling good is a joyous bonus.

Sorry to ramble on, but, hey, you asked. ;)

Zeit gezunt!

B.

In the village we have a request for the kids Who make a supervised puzzle walk to window dress with bears which they can count
We still have a shop window so we......

Attachments

• DC326B30-3D23-4D3F-AD93-3BA4EF0297A9.jpeg
    DC326B30-3D23-4D3F-AD93-3BA4EF0297A9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Finding it better to not research the virus online too much. Kinda like self diagnosing yourself via WebMD. Just take the necessary precautions and not dwell on it any more than that seems to be the best course of action for me.

I did order a case of wine online today that'll be delivered to my doorstep in probably a week to ten days. The wife and I enjoy an occasional glass of red wine and we have a lot of free time now so why not? I've never ordered alcohol online before as we have stores like Total Wine here for that. I'm finding creative ways to not be around others and to not potentially expose myself needlessly.

I'm driving more carefully, and wearing gloves while touching the steering wheel. According to the CDC:

The Facts About Global Road Traffic Injuries and Deaths
  • Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world.
  • Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in road traffic crashes involving cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. More than half of those killed are pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists.4
  • Road traffic injuries are estimated to be the eighth leading cause of death globally for all age groups and the leading cause of death for children and young people 5–29 years of age. More people now die in road traffic crashes than from HIV/AIDS.4

We had it in my house. I have recovered. It wasn’t any more difficult than any other infections. Symptoms were relieved by xxxxxxx. I also worked hard at keeping xxxxxxxxxxx levels up and focused on remaining xxxxxxxx. I used lots of xxxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx powder, xxxxxxx water, and after the xxxx was over I did a lot of xxxxxxx.

We had it in my house. I have recovered. It wasn’t any more difficult than any other infections. Symptoms were relieved by xxxxxxx. I also worked hard at keeping xxxxxxxxxxx levels up and focused on remaining xxxxxxxx. I used lots of xxxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx powder, xxxxxxx water, and after the xxxx was over I did a lot of xxxxxxx.
You're fortunate. It killed a guy down the street from me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm really trying to play by these rules of self-censorship due to fear of being blamed for offering some kind of advice which caused somebody to do something they would be entirely responsible for making their own choices... when a frickin elephant is in the room and this fear of sharing in a mature and reasoned discourse prevents people from being flat out honest. Is this what people do in communist states where anything they say can be used against them in a court they do not have a right to represent themselves in or even be made aware of the charges being raised against them?

Pardon me while I go to my bathroom and retch, it seems to me there is a wheelbarrow full of ...

Never mind, I guess I just need to be somewhere else right now.
See you on the other side.

/edit: Turkmenistan Censorship

Last edited:
My wife and I work from home. Very little has changed except that her in-person client visits are now all done via teleconference and my deliveries to my distributor are done by dropping things off and getting back in my rig and then he comes out and gets them. So I guess the only real change is not helping carry stuff in and having coffee before getting back on the road. That's sad as he's a good friend and we enjoy taking a short coffee break together, but we will get back to that in time.

Other than that, things are actually more social. Everyone is out and about walking dogs during the daytime. Despite the fact that people keep a distance from each other, I've probably spoken to all of my neighbors more in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 3 years.

This too shall pass. There is a tremendous amount of finger-pointing from the talking heads and celebrities seem to feel that their insipid ramblings are important, but even that isn't really so much new - it's just "ramped-up" a bit more, haha. I think that in the final analysis, there will be at least some silver lining from all of this. We have had it too easy and it has led people to focus too much on petty things. Encountering a genuine challenge will lend perspective. Or at least I hope it will. We are paying a precious sum for that perspective. Let us hope we learn from it.

FarmerTan

Finding it better to not research the virus online too much. Kinda like self diagnosing yourself via WebMD. Just take the necessary precautions and not dwell on it any more than that seems to be the best course of action for me.

I did order a case of wine online today that'll be delivered to my doorstep in probably a week to ten days. The wife and I enjoy an occasional glass of red wine and we have a lot of free time now so why not? I've never ordered alcohol online before as we have stores like Total Wine here for that. I'm finding creative ways to not be around others and to not potentially expose myself needlessly.
I very nearly had a panic attack Sunday night in bed. I self diagnosed it, as I've never really had one before.

I have since severely limited my news intake, and I'm back to my normal strange self. As said before, this too shall pass.

FarmerTan

I'm 73, retired and live alone, so I'm fairly used to being by myself. What I truly miss is my freedom: not so much going out itself, but the idea of going out at will.

My age, plus a lifetime of pulmonary problems, puts me smack in the crosshairs of the plague, yet I feel strangely sanguine and optimistic. Statistically, the odds are against my ever showing symptoms of caronavirus, let alone dying from it. But who wants to be a statistic? Plus, according to so-called "bio-ethicist" Ezekiel Emanuel's calculus (he of Obamacare fame), I should be allowed two more years on this earth.

Finally did get moving yesterday, though. The weather broke, so I was able to get out for a good, long, hilly hike--the first in several months. Surprisingly, and despite a sedentary winter, I completed my usual tour in reasonable time.

My reading is down, which is surprising. I suppose it's because my preference is to sit in diners, cafes and coffee shops to read. This I've got to change, as I've got a growing stack of books that I look forward to reading. That said, I've been spending too damn much time online reading about the plague. This has definitely got to stop, as it jaundices my mood.

Of course, there are acceptable online pastimes, one of which is B&B. The civility, goodwill and fellowship of the community is a true and good tonic. I may not post all that much, save for likes, and those are all genuine.

Shopping has become a bit of a frustration. We've got a lot of vacation homes hereabouts, and the city folks have hit the supermarket shelves like swarms of locusts. I wish they'd all get bidets. Hell, I wish I had a bidet.

I normally do my grocery and other shopping early in the morning. Always have. So, so-called "senior hours," usually from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. are not an issue. Tomorrow, I plan to glove up and mask up (for the first time) and 1) hit the supermarket at six, and if that doesn't bear fruit, 2) hit Wally's at seven. The things we do to fill our days in retirement. Amazon fills the rest of my material needs.

As for shaving, I still do it regularly as a reaffirmation of my civil sanity. It's the ritual, and not the result, that counts, and I embrace the ritual wholeheartedly, though I'm always aiming for that perfect BBS shave. To spice things up, I've got several new frags on order, and will probably soon order some seasonal soaps and splashes from Stirling. To me, their price/performance point is spot on. My whole goal in going double-edge again was to turn shaving from a chore into a treat. Smelling good is a joyous bonus.

Sorry to ramble on, but, hey, you asked. ;)

Zeit gezunt!

B.
Thanks so much for the ramblings! I probably needed that kick in the pants to shave tomorrow morning!

Top Bottom