What's new

What other razors to get- for the boys?

The recent (and wonderful) post regarding the lost arts of manly endeavors got me thinking... This is a great way not only to shave now, but also a great way to teach my boys to shave when they get there (still a decade away, luckily!). My older (4) already often comes in and shaves with me in the mornings. Eventually, it would be cool to pass on a razor to them. Then they could tell their wives "this is the razor dad used in the mornings when I was little, he took it to Iraq, he landed on the boat with it, and it was made before he was even born!" You know. That kind of thing.

So, the question is what DE to buy that will be a good razor with a good shave for that many decades to come. I have a '59 Fatboy that is my daily shaver, and a Merkur (the cheap one) which I don't like as much but my son uses it in the mornings bladeless (which is great, cause I really hate wrestling the top off of it to change the blades). So, technically, that's two- but I'd hate giving them that Merkur (though one of them may like it). So what would you gents suggest?

All DE thoughts welcome!

DCM

I prefer Merkur and have several my son (age 11) can pick from in a few years. In the Gillette family I have a Fatboy, Slim, Superspeed and Tech for him to try. In the Schick family I have three injectors that he can sample. I figure this should give him enough options.

I really think I will select his first razor and show him how to shave. The others will be there for him to sample once he gets a little older and, hopefully, more interested in shaving.

My "legacy" razor is an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth with a faux ivory handle; it has a Merkur HD head, which is finished to a higher standard than the normal HD. This is also my "go-to" razor. Of my other razors the one I really like is a Merkur 38C, which also has an HD head. It, however, does not have the same panache as my Chatsworth. I also have a 1947 Gillette SS and an English Rocket, which I like, but neither measures up to the Chatsworth or the 38C in terms of looks or feel in the hand. My son will inherit my Chatsworth along with my 1957 Parker 51 fountain pen, which I inherited from my Dad, and my Patek Philippe watch. I hope, and I will instruct him in this regard, that he will leave the razor, pen and watch to his son.

Whew, getting old can get this way out of control, except that I have RAD. I just went back to a DE the first of the year so I don't have a history with everyone using a razor to shave with when they were growing up. I have 4 sons, 1 daughter, 2 grandsons, two granddaughters, and two people are currently pregnant. Don't know the sex of the grand babies to be yet. Picked up another grandson on Wednesday so I have 2 grandsons and 1 granddaughter at the house visiting at this moment. Oh, and a little brother who is 20+years younger than me so he's kind of a son and his two boys.

So, having RAD I have a lot of razors which I use regularly. I have given all the sons, and brother, Gillette Slim Adjustable's as the Slim was the first razor I purchased myself when I started shaving (also soap, mug, blades, etc) in middle sixties. The daughter and sister in law got blue Lady Gillette's. All the grandkids and nephews are between -6mos. and 8 years old. As they cycle through the house this summer the boys are going home with Gillette Tech's, No Blades, Old Spice Mugs with Williams Soap, Treezerman Brushes, and a choice of aftershave. Their favorite today is Master Bay Rum.

I shave with all the razors I purchase a least once. If I die before the nursing home my wife knows that the boys and daughter will divide all my collectibles. They will have to play nice. If I die after the nursing home I will have already divided everything and sent it to them.

Top Bottom