What's new

What is your Scotch rotation

Went to the local mega liquor store last night in search of a bottle of Caol Ila. They were out of stock, so I went in a completely different direction - Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or. I just finished my bottle of Macallan, so I figured this might be a good replacement. I was right - it was!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Went to the local mega liquor store last night in search of a bottle of Caol Ila. They were out of stock, so I went in a completely different direction - Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or. I just finished my bottle of Macallan, so I figured this might be a good replacement. I was right - it was!

"Was" ... as in you have finished the bottle already?

Sounds like the scotch rotated you!! I've been there myself.:lol:
Nah, I usually only have the one small pour and call it good. I know some of the purists say you should drink your Scotch neat, but I like having some water or an ice cube in there to help it open up and also to give it a slight chill compared to room temperature.

Nah, I usually only have the one small pour and call it good. I know some of the purists say you should drink your Scotch neat, but I like having some water or an ice cube in there to help it open up and also to give it a slight chill compared to room temperature.
One should have their Scotch whisky their way. Of course, a $150-200 bottle should never be had with ice. That's just wrong IMHO (lol)

The Nectar d'Or is way up on my list. I've heard it's an excellent replacement for Macallan 12. Would love to know what you think. I'm holding off until Spring to get it as I'm enjoying my campfire-in-a-glass (Caol Ila) too much right now!

:sailor:

The Nectar d'Or is way up on my list. I've heard it's an excellent replacement for Macallan 12. Would love to know what you think.

I felt that the only thing that I could do was to pour a dram in order to give you the best report I could. (I know, the sacrifices we make for each other here.)

The color of the Nectar is a little more like straw than the Macallan. A pretty pour nonetheless.

The aroma of the Nectar jumps out upon opening the bottle and is much more pronounced than most of the other whiskies I've had in the recent past. Predominant smell to me is of overripe figs and butter, with orange, raisins and caramel. The sweet richness is at least that of Macallan 12.

The first sip is quite warm, but not harsh. It flows over the front and side of my tongue with more richness and a touch of citrus at the end. Although the scotch is not thick or oily, I do get almost a feel of honey. Flavor seems a little lighter and more balanced than the Macallan 12, which (while quite good) is primarily sherry. Finish is very smooth.

This could easily replace Macallan 12 for me. I'm hoping to not get too attached to it, as it's about $20 more a bottle here. Perhaps I'll go back and forth between the two.

This bottle is very satisfying to me as a richer, sweeter Scotch. I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't know of any similarly priced bottles that are better than this in the style.

I felt that the only thing that I could do was to pour a dram in order to give you the best report I could. (I know, the sacrifices we make for each other here.) ...

Excellent review! Very much in line from other reviews I've read, too. Will definitely be picking up a bottle by this coming Spring. I've had the Macallan 12 and it's a very fine Whisky, but 'm told it has gotten a little "flat" in the past decade.

Thanks again for the very nice review, which of course requires me to go pour a dram meself...

:sailor:

Top Bottom