What's new

What is your Scotch rotation

So, now thatI need to explore the peaty scotches, what are brands like Taliker, Lagavulin, etc. like compared to Laphroaig?
I'm the wrong guy to answer that question - I was always a bourbon/Irish guy, added a Highland or two, then recenty wanting to try an Islay someone suggested Lagavulin, and I haven't looked any further. For me, it's about perfect, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe when I finish this bottle (it's getting low, but I already have another in the cabinet) I'll try something else, so I'm interested to see the responses as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So, now thatI need to explore the peaty scotches, what are brands like Taliker, Lagavulin, etc. like compared to Laphroaig?

Well, they are all going to be "outside the box" in terms of the standard Speyside/Highland scotch flavour profile you will be used to. I don't find Lagavulin and Laphroaig to be too similar to each other, but they are both from Islay and do have some similarities. Talisker is 'more different" as it comes from Skye ... I'd say give both a try. Don't expect "the same as Laphroaig but slightly different" ... treat it all as exploration to somewhere, anywhere you don't know.

From Islay, Ardbeg and Caol Isla are also worth checking out soon ... I think Talisker is the only one on Skye.

(Imagine you never had spice on your food, all your life. Then you tried some, say, tabasco sauce hot wings, and really liked it. Now, you say, you want to try more. Are hot wings "like" Thai food? "Like" Indian curry? "Like" Szechwan? Nope, not at all. Those are vastly different quisines ... but if you like one you probably like the others, unless you expect them all to taste exactly like hot wings.)

Last edited:
Ok,

I'm always hearing about everyones shaving rotations, but what's your Scotch rotation?

A rotation to me means a complete circle going around and coming back to start all over again

Mine is more of a one way or dead end rather than a circular rotation

From the shelf --> to the glass ----> to the lips ---> Repeat

Talisker is a different beast. It will still be peat forward, but has a different body and mouth feel. Lagavulin is another Islay scotch, so they are easier to compare. Lagavulin is going have a more progressive taste, it will go from a very rich peat/smoke, to a warm caramel malt (buttery, but not honey sweet), and then a real nice salinity as it finishes. It will be more complex than the Laphroaig 10, which isn't as progressive (but not by any means bad).

Talisker is a different beast. It will still be peat forward, but has a different body and mouth feel. Lagavulin is another Islay scotch, so they are easier to compare. Lagavulin is going have a more progressive taste, it will go from a very rich peat/smoke, to a warm caramel malt (buttery, but not honey sweet), and then a real nice salinity as it finishes. It will be more complex than the Laphroaig 10, which isn't as progressive (but not by any means bad).

Thank you for the review!

Well, they are all going to be "outside the box" in terms of the standard Speyside/Highland scotch flavour profile you will be used to. I don't find Lagavulin and Laphroaig to be too similar to each other, but they are both from Islay and do have some similarities. Talisker is 'more different" as it comes from Skye ... I'd say give both a try. Don't expect "the same as Laphroaig but slightly different" ... treat it all as exploration to somewhere, anywhere you don't know.

From Islay, Ardbeg and Caol Isla are also worth checking out soon ... I think Talisker is the only one on Skye.

(Imagine you never had spice on your food, all your life. Then you tried some, say, tabasco sauce hot wings, and really liked it. Now, you say, you want to try more. Are hot wings "like" Thai food? "Like" Indian curry? "Like" Szechwan? Nope, not at all. Those are vastly different quisines ... but if you like one you probably like the others, unless you expect them all to taste exactly like hot wings.)

Ive tried Caol Ila 18 & 12. The 18 was the first peat forward Scott I ever liked. I think maybe that brand us what started me towards finally trying Laphroaig and liking it. On to other brands! Outstanding food comparison! Many thanks!

I enjoyed Laphroaig QC as much as Laphroaig 10, and both slightly more than Ardbeg 10 or Lagavulin 16.

Ardbeg 10 is a great value.

Would someone who knows a bit more about Scotch than me help me find the 3rd bottle for my rotation? So far I'm thinking a bottle of The Macallan 12, a bottle of Caol Ila 12, and a bottle of hmmm..?

I'm missing the third bottle. I need some suggestions please?
I'm on a bit of a budget so I can't over do it, unless I absolutely have to ;-)

Thank you!

:sailor:

Would someone who knows a bit more about Scotch than me help me find the 3rd bottle for my rotation? So far I'm thinking a bottle of The Macallan 12, a bottle of Caol Ila 12, and a bottle of hmmm..?

Thank you!

Macallan is a Speyside Scotch and Caol Ila is an Islay. Maybe a Highlands scotch? Oban or Dalwhinnie would be good examples of a Highland.

Talisker 10

Thank you!

I've done something similar. In my admittedly limited experience, I find Speysides & Highlands to be similar enough, though, that I don't need both. I currently have one Islay - Lagavulin 16 - and Macallan 12.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Thank you!

I'm thinking look under the blue covering, but the green is good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite is not that expensive, "The Great King Street Artisan's Blend", by Compass Box Whisky. Tasty Tasty.

HTML:
http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/index.php?id=5

[MENTION=52454]Haggises[/MENTION], [MENTION=74779]eezee[/MENTION], [MENTION=88069]steep-n-shallow[/MENTION], [MENTION=38491]Price[/MENTION], [MENTION=2453]Doc4[/MENTION] (great vid!!) Thank you for the great info! I hope I didn't hijack this thread too badly, but it seemed like the right place to get some good information.

May I present the first of my Scotch rotation, a birthday present to myself, and boy is it delicious...

$IMG_1855.jpg

@Haggises, @eezee, @steep-n-shallow, @Price, @Doc4 (great vid!!) Thank you for the great info! I hope I didn't hijack this thread too badly, but it seemed like the right place to get some good information.

May I present the first of my Scotch rotation, a birthday present to myself, and boy is it delicious...

View attachment 675244

I got one of these for my 21st birthday and it was the first bottle of single malt I had ever tried. It most certainly is delicious; it started me on a journey of scotch discovery!

I'm currently working through a bottle of Quinta Ruban that is definitely a very different (also delicious) beast

I got one of these for my 21st birthday and it was the first bottle of single malt I had ever tried. It most certainly is delicious; it started me on a journey of scotch discovery!

I'm currently working through a bottle of Quinta Ruban that is definitely a very different (also delicious) beast

I've had many a drams at my friends homes, but this is my first "official" single malt Scotch purchase.
I would have no hesitations suggesting it to other first timers as it's wonderfully complex and enjoyable.

My only worry is that I now have ScAD - Scotch Acquisition Disorder because the next thing I want to do is get another bottle, possibly a Caol Ila or Highland Park!?

What a wonderful rabbit hole I've found...

Top Bottom