What's new

What is your go to pen and ink color?

I never go anywhere without my Fisher Bullet Pen and Moleskine notebook.
It came standard with a black, medium cartridge. When that ran dry after a year, I replaced it with a blue, fine point.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I love the bullets. Based on the handwriting thread from a while ago, I am re-teaching myself how to write with a Lamy, but the bullet is my go-to. I have green, blue, and burgundy refills in the wings, but I'm using up my black refills first.

My "stock" (what I keep around the house for "I need a pen" moments) pens are Pilot V5s and V7s. I may have to check out the Sharpies mentioned upthread.

I haven't been able to convince myself the moleskine notebooks are worth it, though. My go-tos are plain old steno pads and Rite in the Rain notebooks.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Hey, have any of you guys tried the Parker Gel ink refills yet? I just got one for the pen I keep in the car (can't keep a FP in a hot car) and they actually write really well. A lot nicer, darker line and with less pressure than a normal ballpoint. :001_smile

Fisher Bullet with black ink in my jeans pocket. Everyday pen is a Filcao 1918 confetti with either custom burgundy or dark green.

A series of pencils, pens, roller balls and fountain pens (most of them Cartier, Dupont, Parker, ACME).

Most used and preferred ones are the Faber-Castell 9000 2B pencil and the Cartier Diabolo ball pen, blue lacquer finish.

Currently on the lookout for a good fountain pen ink.

proxy.php

Cartier 'Tank' ball pen in red lacquer finish.

proxy.php

Cartier Diabolo blue lacquer ball pen and Louis Cartier Limited Edition 'Eye of the Tiger' Platinum with leather fountain pen.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Note the so-called 'Eye of the tiger'.

I work for SWA as an aircraft mechanic. My choice when it comes to pens is a Parker Stainless Jotter with a Fisher Space Pen Insert. I work flight line Maintenance in Kansas City MO. It get cold here in the winter and that Space Pen insert never skips a beat over grease, oils, water, sweat, nothing keeps it from writing. No second guessing when it's going to run out of ink. The first time it skips you are damn near out. I get the inserts off the bay at a reasonable price. Black in bold tip.
That's all I got to say about pens

You know, sometime I'm going to have to go looking for nine year old threads like this which can reasonably be revived. And this is a good topic, even if the O.P. started it with a Bic Stick. :a21:

I don't really have a single "go to" pen, as such, just a group of favorites. But it would be pretty rare for at least one of my inked pens not to be from among my better Pilots: Falcon, Elite, Customer Heritage 91 or 92, Capless Decimo.

And I do most of my writing in some sort of blue, not too light. Pilot Blue and Blue Black are favorites. Their blue black is more blue than black, unlike some other brands, which look practically black when they dry. I recently added De Atramentis Document Blue to the lineup, and it's been working out well. I haven't used Noodler's Bad Blue Heron in a while, but remember it as being one of the "safe" Noodler's inks.

Pen: Nemosine Fission, in Gunmetal colour, with 0.6 mm stub italic nib.
Inks:
Iroshizuku Yama-guri diluted 25% with water, or
Diamine Ancient Copper tinted with a few drops of Yama-guri or Diamine Green Black to make it more of a rusty brown.

Depends on my mood. Here are my go-to combos:

Lamy 2000 (medium, but in reality closer to broad) and Noodler's Navy or Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Platinum 3776 (medium) and Noodler's Bad Blue Heron

the only ballpoint I still own and would carry back when was a Fisher, black fine (work mandated on the color).

my go to carry pen is a TWSBI 530 Mini EF with Diamine Registrar's. it's just bulletproof and pockets easily.

if my Estabrook SJ had a EF nib as bulletproof as the TWSBI, it'd be my daily. I use it a lot around the house. it didn't flow the Registrar's as well as I'd like with the EF or a F, so it has Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

favorite house pen is probably a Sheaffer Imperial EF with R&H Scabiosa. it was my favorite ink until I saw how much color ran when it got wet.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Well, it would of course be a fountain pen. After all, I am not a barbarian.

But there is no one "go to" pen; any and all of my pens are a joy to use, utterly reliable and good looking. The same thing goes for ink color; the "go to" ink color is the ink color that I'm using at that time.

Lol, I'm old fashioned (as well as being old, eh?) -- go to ink is Skrip Blue-black, and has been since about 1967, and the pens always in my pocket are Sheaffer Snorkels and Parker "51"s.

I use Noodler's black for mail and at work, and have a couple dozen various inks, but Skrip is what goes in most of the pens these days. For one, Snorkel sacs seem to die early with anything Noodler's but Black, ditto for Vacumatic diaphragms. #16 sacs in my Esties or #15 sacs in TDs are impervious, so it has to be the rubber in those two specifically -- and I've had quite a few die without ever being filled.

Suits me just fine.....

For work at the moment either Jinhao x750 or Parker 45 Flighter. Favourite ink - Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue and has been for years. Casual (jeans anyway) Kaweco Sports with Diamine short carts.

I'm daily-ing two pens rn, which is usually the case for me.

Lamy 2000 F with Iro Ku-Jaku
Pilot 743 Falcon with Aurora Black

But, I write a LOT less at work these days than I used to. When I was putting big miles on pens, I had twin M800s (one green, one blue) that I always inked with the same combination. I like Iro for everything but black.

Top Bottom