What's new

What is your go to pen and ink color?

A quail feather and pieces of ancient parchment.

No, seriously, Sharpie recently made a pen and I love them. It has lots of resistance, which I like because my cursive is really loosey-goosey. And people won't steal them as often. I like purple, but it only comes in a multipack. Apparently Sharpie is real nice about buying single colors in bulk, so I might do that later:

proxy.php

Not my image/writing.

I carry around the Moleskine Volant notebooks. I have SO many black books in the archive I've been buying the color ones to make it easier to organize. Poetry in black, neon colors are jokes, and solids are observations and notes:

proxy.php

Moleskin also makes a shot setup book I carry around when I'm doing cinematography or directing for films. I'm mainly a screenwriter, and those obersvations go in blue volants :wink2:

Anyone else huge Moleskine fans? Pricey on the street, but the glue is sturdy and hasn't fallen apart like cheap stationary you get everywhere.

I use two at work, the good old Zebra F-301 with the fine point and a Bic 4-color as my job uses different colors for different shifts. Have been using the Zebra for years and love them.

Everyone's desk drawer needs a Bic 4-color (made in France)! Bought two at Office Depot. When my SWMBO's daughter started high school last Fall, I gave her one and kept the other for myself.

I use a 20 year old Waterman blue ink ballpoint for most things. Somewhere around I also have a 30 year old old Mont Blanc that I received for law school graduation in 1980. Both are fine working writing instruments.

I carry around the Moleskine Volant notebooks. I have SO many black books in the archive I've been buying the color ones to make it easier to organize. Poetry in black, neon colors are jokes, and solids are observations and notes:

Moleskin also makes a shot setup book I carry around when I'm doing cinematography or directing for films. I'm mainly a screenwriter, and those obersvations go in blue volants :wink2:

Anyone else huge Moleskine fans? Pricey on the street, but the glue is sturdy and hasn't fallen apart like cheap stationary you get everywhere.
I'm carrying the Cahier with a plain brown cover. When this one runs out of paper, I'll probably upgrade to a colored version. And I think I'll get one with grids instead of ruled lines, to make my lists a little neater.

My usage is more mundane than yours. I use it mostly for recording groceries and daily to-do lists, writing down web-sites and other items I want to research. There's also a small pocket in the back where I can temporarily keep business cards and receipts that I collect.

I've always had a notebook or journal of some sort, but it took me a long time to find a really good one that would fit in my pocket. Although any little notebook would suffice, I don't know of anything besides Moleskine that has the same elegance and panache.

Legion

Staff member
Parker 51, full size for the desk, demi size for travel. Occasionally Hero 616's at work and I just bought a Hero 100 which I have not played with much yet but seems pretty good.

My go to ink at the moment is Noodler's Violet.

I've been getting a lot of school work done with a Lamy Safari coupled with Noodler's Squeteague. I may go back to Noodler's black for the bulletproof characteristics, ideal when taking notes during a fluid-filled biology lab filled with clumsy students.

At work: Hero 616 with Waterman Florida Blue, Parker jotter, fine blue.

At home: Cross Solo medium black and Zebra F-301 fine blue

starting today and for the next little while it is a late 40s Esterbrook green celluloid filled with washable blue Quink. Steel nib, medium stub. A bit scratchy but looks good on the page.

A Binder restored Parker 51 Vac with Noodler's Black or a Pilot G2 gel ink ballpoint. I really like how the G2 writes too.

Pelikan M600 with Noodler's Sequoia (dark green) for the past few weeks at work.

For weekends, Lamy Safari shiny black or demonstrator; Rotring (the 5-sided one), Sensa, or a Pelikano, filled with a rotating bunch of Noodler's, such as Air Corps Blue/Black; Zhivago (very dark green); Forest Green; Luxury Blue Bullet-Proof; Aquamarine/Contract; Red Black. Aurora Black and Pelikan Blue-Black also are excellent.

I have an heirloom Sheaffer Targa that I love. It is a bit scratched, but still in good writing condition. I do love the weight of it.

I used to have a wonderful Cross ballpoint, but I lost it this summer and still is sad about it. The best pen I've ever had.

For both of them, I prefer black ink. Blue for me is my school teachers, red is...well, red. Brown is okay, but I seldom find a good brown that does not fade. A good black ink is the best, that stays black.

Last edited:
Go to pens are both Parker 51s. I do not know the history about one of them but the other I purchased from a gentleman on eBay. In his own words he said:

"The man I bought the pen from wrote me that the pen was a good writer but he was getting old. Well, I am getting old myself and am selling most of my pens so my wife won't have to. I have enjoyed having this pen, and I hope that you enjoy it also."

I don't know why, but I instantly felt a special connection to this pen. It's like it's come preloaded with two generations worth of writing and I'm the lucking third to have it. The pen has definitely been worn down a little bit, but that's purely aesthetic as it writes like a champion.

I have Noodler's Heart of Darkness black in one Parker 51 and Noodler's Perrywinkle blue in the Parker 51 with all the history.

Usually a bold-nib Lamy Safari (fine-nib if I'm in a more precise mood) with Private Reserve Midnight Blues. I have around a dozen bottles of ink, though, almost all of which I use pretty regularly.

I've been alternating between a Sheaffer Prelude fine nib and a Pilot dropper-fill that came with my Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

The Noodler's is awesome in the Pilot, but didn't really agree with the nib on the Sheaffer. I nabbed a bottle of Waterman Green on Monday and that has become my new go-to in that pen :thumbup1:

I feel that my older pens prefer older inks, and don't do so well with modern fluids. I feed my Shaeffers on Shaeffer and my Parkers on Parker.

Top Bottom