What's new

What is the worst blade you have used in your razor?

Something came into my mind just now. Ive heard about wire-wrapped double edge blades some time ago, but can't remember where. Apparantly the wires stop the blade edge getting too close to the skin, so they are mainly for DE beginners. I've never actually seen one though.

Very interesting. I had Kroger Mach 3 replacement cartridges that had a wire bar welded on the back side of the blade. They were a razor burn machine.

MM879

Derby Extra - like shaving with a sock.
Astra SP - no good unless you enjoy an itchy bright-red neck.
Shark Super Stainless - whiskers return shortly after shaving.
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - dull, dull, dull.
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (Black) - so smooth that it doesn't cut.

Last edited:
Derby Extra, bloody unusable. Don't care for Voskhod's either. Also had a recent rough shave with a german wilki almost derby bad.

I coordinate my stash by keeping the trial blade tucks separated in a zip lock bag. The approved blades go in another bag. I have a rather large supply of Derby Extra's that I'm considering giving away. The Derby's hasn't made it into either baggie.

MM87

Derby Extra - like shaving with a sock.
Astra SP - no good unless you enjoy an itchy bright-red neck.
Shark Super Stainless - whiskers return shortly after shaving.
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - dull, dull, dull.
Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (Black) - so smooth that it doesn't cut.

I like the Gillette Blacks at their best, but they’re not consistent. Once in awhile there’s a total dud that literally won’t at all.

Vidyut Super-Max Platinum - Hands down the most brutal blade I have ever shaved with, I didn't make it pass 3 cuts of the blade, I pulled it and replaced it with a Nacet. The Vidyut blade was beyond dull, it felt like I was pulling out my stubble with a pair of tweezers.
+1.

Crown has been the worst I have tried. Have only tried the one though, could of been a bad one.

Maybe Assured. They were close.

Didn't think about SE blades:

A rusty utility blade in my 1912 GEM, knowing it wasn't a shaving blade. And had to sharpen it slightly to get rust from the edge.

Dorco ST302 leaves me bloody every time I use it and no matter what razor I use it in. Yet, I have no issues with the ST301.

Zorrek is just terrible Really terrible. They just don't shave at all. I tried to like Rockwell but they don't seem to last very long.

Best blade for me?? Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India. They are incredibly smooth, sharp, extremely inexpensive, and last me for many shaves.

BTW .. I have had no issues with Derby Extra. I have a heavy beard and sensitive skin

Top Bottom