What's new

What is the least bad disposable razor for air travel with hand luggage only?

We are travelling out to Italy for a few days over Christmas to stay with friends near Perugia. As the only flights to there from the UK are with the hated Ryanair from Standsted (usually known as Satan-sted), we are travelling hand luggage only. Ryanair charges quite a lot extra for hold luggage and then Stansted loses it either on the way out or back, so best avoided. So consequently, I cannot take a DE razor and blade(s). What is the least bad disposable on the market at present, available in Europe? There appear to be various offerings from Gillette, Wilkinson and Bic, with from two to lots of blades.

Wilson

Just do not get a 30 year old single blade relic or a dollar store plastic disposable that most recommend on here. It's no wonder they say they hate carts. Get a Mach 3 Turbo. I shaved with one today and got as close or better shave than with my DE-all with zero irritation. I know blasphemy right? I've used the 5 blade Fusions but I find they do not work as well as the 3 blade Mach. I also find the Turbo version much smoother than the original Mach 3.

When I went to Dallas last month I bought some Wilkinson disposables from WalMart ... two blades I think.

It was an unremarkable shave, but it got the job done.

I'm a big fan of Harry's Razors here in the U.S. They're only available here, but Harry's owns Feintechnik, which sells the same product in Europe as the Croma Xenon-5. https://www.feintechnik.com/products/3

Don't know if they're available in the U.K., but it looks like you might be able to purchase them from a European Amazon site (or other online site).

Note that this is a cart system and not a pure disposable.

If I have to use a disposable, I use Schick ST2. I find that I get good shaves with them and they are fairly inexpensive. Its kinda funny because I never used them until after I was already into DE shaving which I started initially to save money :001_rolle. Had I tried the ST2 razors while I was using the Mach 3, I may have never found out about wet shaving or B&B.

As far as disposables, my first choice would be to go to Dollar Tree and see if they have any of the Noxzema disposables (made by Kai, they're pretty good). Second is the Schick or Wilkinson Sword ST2. I don't really care for any of the single blade disposables I've tried. The Personna is the best of that lot, but that's not saying much.

For a cartridge razor, I'd get whatever is on sale between a Schick/WS Quattro, Gillette Mach 3 or ProGlide or Dorco Pace 7. The Dorco being my choice of that bunch.

I used to use the Bic sensitive single blade disposables before transitioning to DE. Their website says it's available in Europe.

I used to use the Bic sensitive single blade disposables before transitioning to DE. Their website says it's available in Europe.

I haven't tried them yet but I've heard they're nice (sort of)... and have bought a pack for air travels.

Another option I've heard good things about is the Gillette Guard (disposable for Indian market). Not sure where it's available (outside India, of course...)

I have a Mach 3 in the travel bag. Works.

Also: consider mailing a couple of blades to your destination ahead of time, then travel with an empty razor and no blades.

Also: consider mailing a couple of blades to your destination ahead of time, then travel with an empty razor and no blades.

This, or just take your razor with you empty and buy some blades when you arrive. Either put your razor on the top of your bag or in your pocket. Either way, it's easy to get to if security asks.

Scott

Gillette Guard. If you don't think it's better than every other disposable I'll buy yours for spares.

Doesn't hurt that it costs almost nothing.

It would seem that the greatest number of votes go to a Gillette Mach 3. I threw one away about 5 years ago. I would take just a razor with me but in deepest rural Umbria, I would doubt if it would be possible to find D-E blades. Looking at the stubbly locals, I would guess they just wait until it gets long enough and chop it off with a pair of garden shears.

I take my RazoRock Jaws when I fly. I have had it in carry-on with no issues. Blades can be either mailed or picked up locally (if not using checked luggage).

I vote for yellow Bic sensitive disposable. I used them when I began wetshaving to finish when I didn't have good enough technique for multiple passes with my DE.

+1 for BIC sensitive
Shaves like a DE, gives a close and comfortable shave (read not aggressive at all), easy to pick one up from local drug store, grocery, or Amazon. Fixed head and single blade - like a DE safety razor.

After going back to De, 3+ years ago, I'm hooked. Tried to go back to carts when I travel - that just convinced me why I'm now a DE shaver.

If you can find a "BIC Metal" those used to be great. The last disposable I had used after falling prey to carts. Unfortunately not currently available in the US, but sold else where.

Top Bottom